pharmacies / medications

Arts, tequila, silver, souvenirs, etc. plus services: doctors, dentists, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

zulu
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
pharmacies / medications

Post by zulu » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:08 pm

I will be traveling to PV this coming Monday (yay!) and am wondering about buying ambien and adderall (ritalin) while I'm there. Can they be purchased without a prescription, and where is my best option for buying them? What are the names for each in Mexico (my spanish is rusty after so many years, and I'd like to at least get the name right when I go in the pharmacy haha). Also, if anyone has any information about the price point, that would be great. Thanks so much!

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:18 pm

If you stick with generic names, these are the same all over the world, so you should be able to find what you want if you use generic names.

Ambien is zolpidem.
Ritalin is methylyphenidate.
Adderall is a combination of amphetamine and dextroamphetamine.

I assume the zolpidem is over the counter. I am not sure about the other two. Since generic Ambien (zolpidem) is inexpensive here in the U.S., I would assume it is inexpensive in Mexico as well.

Guadalajara Pharmacia on Insurgentes in Old Town is a nice place to shop and big. There are many pharmacies all over the place.

Sally

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:04 am

Farmacia Guadalajara doesn't carry Ambien and none of the pharmacies carry Ambien CR, which I was told is not available in Mexico. But regular Ambien is and the place I looked on Constitutiion had 100 for $75.00 US.
I don't know about the other items you asked about.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:21 am

The major pharmacies will have a PDR (Physicians' Desk Reference) in English as well as one in Spanish behind the counter. If all else fails when you are trying to buy medicine in PV you can ask them for the book, find it in the book (you will find it by brand name in the pink section) show it to them, they will figure out what you want.

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:03 pm

See if they have generic Ambien (zolpidem) as it should be much cheaper than 75 cents a tablet.

Ambien CR does not come in generic yet.

Sally

zulu
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by zulu » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:16 pm

thanks, everyone, for your responses! :)

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:53 pm

pvgemini wrote:See if they have generic Ambien (zolpidem) as it should be much cheaper than 75 cents a tablet.

Ambien CR does not come in generic yet.

Sally
I thought it was awfully expensive, too, so I didn't buy it, but haven't found it anywhere else that I've looked either.

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:16 pm

Now I am on a mission to see if I can find it--- cheap!

I think if you ask for "Ambien," they are going to sell you the brand name. I am going to try asking for "zolpidem" and see if I can find this for less $$.

I'll be there in March and June, so I should have many opportunities.

Sally

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:09 pm

I find the prices on alot of medications are not any less than they are in the states so you don't save anything, except for the fact that you can get prescription items without the prescription.