Tech in Mexico

Arts, tequila, silver, souvenirs, etc. plus services: doctors, dentists, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

jtlessons
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Tech in Mexico

Post by jtlessons » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:21 pm

Hi, I can tell you that I just experienced a huge nightmare trying to relocate to Cabo. Beware of "Invest Los Cabos"

I teach guitar, bass & ukulele on skype and was assured and told there would be "no problem" upgrading the internet connection with Telmex in Cabo. That was untrue and I lost about 5k in shipping and deposit.

What I learned about Mexico is that they are 20 years behind the U.S. in tech. Even if your condo is able for the 10mbps service you will not get it. You will be lucky to get half of it. Blame Carlos Slim.

People here on this thread need to start posting facts about their internet connections, not opinions. "Highspeed Internet" is Ping: 9 to 30ms, Download: 20 to 100mbps, Upload: 5 to 10mbps.

How about we change the direction of this valid post and have people in PV run speedtest.net and post there results? This is the relevant way to respond to this post. Thanks.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moved

Post by webmaster » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:21 am

Moved this topic to a separate thread. Can anyone in PV check the internet speed latency and so on?

In any case, it's important if you are going to rely entirely on an ISP in Mexico to test the service before relocating... there are quite a few more options today and we can hope they'll improve over time.

Did you try the cellphone options?

Greetings

Mogens

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Idea

Post by webmaster » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:27 am

And for speed test requests I recommend you become a member of http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Puer ... SouthSide/ they have a very active group of helpful people living in Vallarta that could also give realtime advise regarding internet and services there.

Greets

M.