Items You Cannot bring back to USA

Arts, tequila, silver, souvenirs, etc. plus services: doctors, dentists, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

val
Items You Cannot bring back to USA

Post by val » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:24 pm

Is there anything you cannot bring back into the US from mexico. I dont want to get any hassle from the airport.

rollbin

Re:Items You Cannot bring back to USA

Post by rollbin » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:04 am

Obviously anything illegal , fruits and veggies differ from cou.ntry to country check with customs at your airport better to be safe than sorry

susana

Post by susana » Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:46 pm

Cuban cigars, fresh food, more than your allotment of bottles of alcohol (actually for liquor, I think you can do this you just have to pay extra duty).

What kind of thing are you thinking of?

matt
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by matt » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:39 pm

For some reason, I cannot access the US Customs website, but they have a brochure called "Know Before You Go" that spells things out. Try accessing:

http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cgov/ ... _brochure/

Off the top of my head, I know of a few things you can't bring into the U.S.:
Any product made in Cuba (including cigars), due to the "Trading with the Enemy Act".
Products made from endangered animals like turtles.
Any food product containing pork meat, even if it is commercially prepared in cans. The fear is that the pork meat could contain nematodes.

Margaritaville

Post by Margaritaville » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:38 pm

I would say, you cannot bring back the weather, good times, wonderful people, all the great restraurants, the beaches, and everything els PV has to offer. Just the memories.

val

Post by val » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:48 pm

susana (Oct 26, 2003 01:46 p.m.):
Cuban cigars, fresh food, more than your allotment of bottles of alcohol (actually for liquor, I think you can do this you just have to pay extra duty).

What kind of thing are you thinking of?
How about regular cigars? not cuban.

matt
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by matt » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:11 pm

Here is the link to the US Customs travel brochure:

[html]www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/leavingretur ... _brochure/[/html]

susana

Post by susana » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:57 pm

Yes I've had friends who brought back non-Cuban cigars (the question of their origin did come up at customs). But honestly this is the kind of question I'd take the good advice given above of checking out the actual regulations (from the government and/or the airlines), if you want to be sure and avoid a hassle.

clinta74

Post by clinta74 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:11 pm

and non Cuban Cigars are usually cheaper and higher quality in the US, unless you have them hand rolled in PV while you watch. What I've found if it is imported to Mexico, you can usually find it in the states cheaper. To get a "Good deal, any cheaper it would be Free!" type of purchase it will need to be made in Mexico. The exception being highly taxed items like Liquer, ie. a bottle of Kaluah $9 in PV or $23 here locally.