Digital Camera Pictures

Arts, tequila, silver, souvenirs, etc. plus services: doctors, dentists, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

svedish
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Digital Camera Pictures

Post by svedish » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:42 pm

Just got a new camera for Christmas. I have a 256 meg compact flash card but am concerned that I may run out of space on it. I will be in PV Feb 28 to March 11. Is there somewhere I can go to have the pics downloaded off the CF card and burned onto a CD? Thanks for you help.
Margie

roger

Re:Digital Camera Pictures

Post by roger » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:14 pm

Personally I would be a little concerned about having the pics copied to a cd and then deleting the pics from the card and then finding out after the trip the cd is unreadable. I know I have a 128 meg card and can get about 160 pics on it with the highest resolution for my camera (which is only a 2 megapixel one). With a 256 meg card you have about 300 pics. If your camera is higher megapixel you would get fewer photos if you wanted the highest resolution for your pics - which I don't think is necessary unless you want to print 8*10 or larger. One option would be to buy another card (or preferrably borrow one). As to where you could copy a cd in pv I don't know where but I am pretty sure it wouldn't be a problem. I'm sure others will be able to post specifics.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:32 pm

Depending on the amount of megapixels your Camera is, you will get 213 shots on 3MPX , 128 ON 4MPX and 102 on a 5MPX camera with the 256MPX card, shooting at high resolution. I agree with Roger, I would get more cards. They can be purchased fairly inexpensively . I would not want to take a chance with my photographic memories of a trip. I always download to CDs after I get home and do not erase until I am sure that the CDs are good and then in truth burn a couple more CDs.

braden
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by braden » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:45 pm

I always keep a few smaller memory cards just incase one of them goes out. This way if you do lose one you have a lesser chance of losing all of your pictures. If you can i would pick up a couple of 128s or a few 64s, and spread out your pictures on all of them.

Braden B.

svedish
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by svedish » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:13 pm

Thanks for the replies. My camera is a 5 MPX and also takes up to 3 minute videos. It can be a real memory hog but I will take your advise and purchase some smaller cards. In addition, if something does go wrong with my large card, I will have backup.

kandh
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by kandh » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:49 pm

Sved, not sure if you are stateside or not, but large chains like Best Buy and Office Depot usually have pretty good deals on CF cards. I picked up a 256 for $39.95 a couple weeks ago. I plan on taking a 256, 128, and 64, I have picked them up over the last couple of months when I see them on sale. Hope that helps.

svedish
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by svedish » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:09 pm

Ken,
Yes I did go online and found the 256 MB ScanDisk at New Egg for only $39.00 (shipping included). Figure I should get two and maybe get a 64 as well. I have a Canon Powershot S50 and just went to their website to find out the capacity for the different cards. My techi here at work suggests that I always shoot using the largest and max resolution. (if not, then why did I spend so much for a 5MB ??) He's funny...
Thanks for the input. I may still try and see if there is a place to burn a CD. It can't really be that difficult. jpegs are jpegs and I would not delete from my card until I knew for sure that the images burned correctly. May even do a test to be sure.
Take care and enjoy your trip. When are you going?
Margie

sid1962
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by sid1962 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:20 pm

Margie,

With respect to finding a place to burn a CD, this very issue was raised on another board and discussed extensively. The conclusion was, based on input from folks who live in PV, that there are no places where you can do that. This was about a month ago. The Internet houses don't have PC's that are equipped to do that apparently. If someone reads this and it turns out that there is a place to do that, please post it so I can let others know.

Not sur I agree in total with always shooting at max everything, but you will enjoy the camera. Have you thought about any software for your home PC for digital pictures yet? If not, think Adobe either Album or Photoshop Elements.

At any rate, enjoy your trip - take lots of sunset pictures !

roger

Post by roger » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:44 pm

Sid1962 (Jan 30, 2004 03:20 p.m.):
Margie,

With respect to finding a place to burn a CD, this very issue was raised on another board and discussed extensively. The conclusion was, based on input from folks who live in PV, that there are no places where you can do that. This was about a month ago. The Internet houses don't have PC's that are equipped to do that apparently. If someone reads this and it turns out that there is a place to do that, please post it so I can let others know.

Not sur I agree in total with always shooting at max everything, but you will enjoy the camera. Have you thought about any software for your home PC for digital pictures yet? If not, think Adobe either Album or Photoshop Elements.

Could you p[rovide a link to that board? I would be interested in reading it. Thanks.

At any rate, enjoy your trip - take lots of sunset pictures !

braden
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by braden » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:53 pm

I think one of the places downtown had cdrw's. Maybe "The Net House". At anyrate, you can probably open a shutterfly or msn account and upload them to the web. Then they will be there when you get home. Shutterfly also developes digital images, and they are somewhat reasonable. You could maybe even see if the Sam's down there sells computers, if they do see if they will let you "Test" the cd writer in it. Don't forget your usb cable and some blank cd's. Good Luck.

Braden B.

P.S. As far as resolution goes if you have the room for the big pictures then I would use the higest setting. But for a 4X6 print i have never had a problem even down to 640X480.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:35 pm

At this time I use a 3.2megapixel camera and shoot at 1600 x 1200 and get 49 +/- pics on a 32 megabit smart media card. On my camera this is SQ + . In using this and printing out on a Canon S600 I get very good quality 8 x 10s. I am going to experiment with a 1792 x 1488 setting and see how much better the prints will be. According to the camera I would just drop the capacity by 6 pictures.

The answer really is, get extra cards. Between 2 cameras last visit, we took over 300 pictures and were never in danger of running out of card space. At home was able to safely transfer before erasing the memory cards.

cabron
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by cabron » Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:35 pm

The Net House will burn your photos onto a CD

matt
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by matt » Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:26 am

If you want to buy any additional memory cards for your camera, its best to buy them back home. You can buy memory cards in PV, at places such as the Office Max or Sam's Club, but you will probably be paying almost double the price of the same card back in the US.