Purchasing Silver

Arts, tequila, silver, souvenirs, etc. plus services: doctors, dentists, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Canada (Calgary)
Purchasing Silver

Post by Canada (Calgary) » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:25 am

Leaving this Friday for PV, can hardly wait!!!! When buying silver rings etc what should i be looking for? thanks for your comments.

glmwpg
PV Fan
PV Fan

Re:Purchasing Silver

Post by glmwpg » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:43 pm

i purchased a nice silver chain, decently thick links on it.. for $35 USD on the Hotel (Blue Bay Getaway) property. I was told on the way down to only buy silver that has 3 numbers on it. (305 or 325, I cant recall now, and its far too small to see on the chain). Its very much buyer beware with silver, but personally i'd recommend not purchasing anything from the beach, or from "just a guy" that offers you a deal. if you are on the malecon, about the "middle' of it, there is a flea market that you walk between stores to get to. I can't remember exactly which stores unfortunately, but hopefully someone else can shed some light on exactly how to get there - but the very first shop on your left side was FILLED with silver, and all appeared to be top quality.. I didn't buy mine there, but talked to several people who were pleased with their purchase there.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:53 pm

What you are looking for is the number 925. That means 92.5% Silver.

bburpi

Post by bburpi » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:34 pm

'course, anyone can use a ".925" punch and stamp an article with it.
Don't mean it's 92,5% silver, just that it's got ".925" stamped on it.

pat
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by pat » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:11 am

I have bought silver from beach vendors, a silver store in the marina, and one on the south side on Olas Altas. All had 9.25 stamped on it, and it has all proved to be the real thing. If buying silver from a beach vendor ask for his papers or license to sell silver. He should have it with him and be more than willing to show it to you. Some will bring it uut to show you even before you buy.

clinta74

Its fun to barter on the beach

Post by clinta74 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:00 pm

but if you are looking for price & quality go to the silver shops. Most will sell by the troy ounce. Don't buy the first thing you see, as most shops will have the same objects and you are in a much better position if you know what the competition is asking. Another thing check out the shops that are away from the downtown market, ie we used to get the best deals at a silver shop in the Las Glorious plaza. There are also small jewelers and custom shops away from the regular tourist areas where you can have custom things made for about what the beach venders are selling their stuff for.