Vanilla

Arts, tequila, silver, souvenirs, etc. plus services: doctors, dentists, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God
Vanilla

Post by Plus4 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:22 pm

Mexican vanilla is to be the best..right?
But is it real or synthetic?
What I have read is that even when it says pure on the label that does not mean it is.
So how does one choose a pure Vanilla that is not synthetic?

rosie

Post by rosie » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:05 am

the ingredient list on the label, will usually have some alcohol in it.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:59 am

Yes that is correct. I posted about vanilla because I felt that many tourists thought like I did that if you bought vanilla in Mexico it was good. We asked several family members and friends what they wanted us to bring back for them from Mexico. Vanilla was high on the list. I wanted tourists to think when they bought vanilla and know what they are buying.
I read the article below this afternoon and found it interesting .
Most of the vanilla you will encounter in Puerto Vallarta is synthetic, no matter what the label says. Bogus vanilla likely includes a high alcohol content (up to 25%), whereas genuine vanilla extract will have no more than 2% alcohol. Fake vanilla may also contain coumarin, an extract of the Tonka tree, which can be toxic to the liver. It has been outlawed in the United States, but may still find its way into synthetic vanilla here.

The one brand of vanilla here in Puerto Vallarta that enjoys a reputation of being pure and ‘real’ vanilla is Orlando. It’s not available everywhere, but look around a bit and you’ll find it. It is generally available at the Rizo Supermarket in Viejo Vallarta (‘Old Town’) at the corner of Constitution and Serdan. If you’re not going to get the real thing, than you might as well buy your vanilla back home, where at least you can be pretty sure that it doesn’t include any harmful chemicals

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:45 pm

DELETED

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Vanilla

Post by Jennybean » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:11 pm

How can processed vanilla be "pure"? Think about it, folks...as soon as you break the bean down to turn it into a liquid form for mass consumption or purchase, it's no longer pure. Orlando is about as close as you'll get.

The only true, pure vanilla you're going to ever get is by buying the bean. The very best vanilla beans I've ever come across are from Madagascar...they are commonly known worldwide by chefs as the best (and for that reason they are priced as dear as uranium), with Mexico coming in a very close second. Mexican vanilla is more commonly known on this side of the globe because of geographic availability.

mshuckleberrys
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

vanilla

Post by mshuckleberrys » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:49 pm

I don't know if it good or not, but a local told me to go to Mega or one of the other markets and buy it there. I have gotten Pure Vanilla at Rizos and it was good. Cheaper. Nora

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Will The Real Vanilla Bean Please Stand Up

Post by smitty » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:51 pm

Might be a little off topic - but is there a more vanillally aroma then in the big bakeshops in Gigante and the other grocery stores ? :) I bet the bakers at these locations could give some advice on what to buy .

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:49 am

The very best vanilla beans I've ever come across are from Madagascar...they are commonly known worldwide by chefs as the best (and for that reason they are priced as dear as uranium),

We live in the Uranium capital of the world so; If you know where to get them, I could trade some uranium for some of them beans. Raw or processed only, not into that enriched stuff.

condor
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by condor » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:54 pm

ronald wrote:The very best vanilla beans I've ever come across are from Madagascar...they are commonly known worldwide by chefs as the best (and for that reason they are priced as dear as uranium),

We live in the Uranium capital of the world so; If you know where to get them, I could trade some uranium for some of them beans. Raw or processed only, not into that enriched stuff.
Terrorist Alert!! ronald is selling special nuclear material OX> oo-| [sick]

Condor :8-))

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:35 pm

It's all part of my plan for World Domination! Saaay, how do you all like the price of Oil? Part of my plan too! Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: . Chuck... 8)

pop&fresh

vanilla

Post by pop&fresh » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:47 pm

did you know????????????

vanilla is indegenous to mexico read on this article is very informative

in my opinion ui find vanilla from fiji to be quite nice als

be advised that only the best will say CERTIFIED

http://www.chefdepot.net/vanillabeans.htm

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

About Vanilla in Puerto Vallarta

Post by webmaster » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Recommended brands

Blue Cattle Truck Trading Co. Pure Mexican Vanilla
Gaya Vai-Mex
La Vencedora
Los Cinco Soles
Molino Real
Orlando (they do not use coumarin as stated some places online)

Where to buy in Puerto Vallarta

La Casa de La Vainilla
Calle Morelos 128, Centro, Plaza Juarez Local 15
Tel: (322) 222-9758

Dulcería Leal
Av. Juárez #262, Downtown, Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco
(322) 222-8042

Read more: http://www.puertovallarta.net/fast_fact ... z2X2lINgel
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution No Derivatives
Follow us: @puertovallarta2 on Twitter | puerto.vallarta.jalisco.mexico on Facebook

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:50 pm

We have brought back Orlando many times for friends that are seasoned Bakers and they always rave about it.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also

Post by webmaster » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:47 pm

Though I must admit not being an expert, I could see many had the same opinion and after reviewing their site, I can say they sound very professional and transparent regarding their product, so I can see it wasn't bad to trust in them then :-)

Greetings

Mogens

olsen
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by olsen » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:51 am

No matter what they said about vanilla whether negative or positive. Many people like it. I have bought Blue Cattle and I used it in cooking.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

One vote for Cattle

Post by webmaster » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:16 am

So now there's a vote for Cattle.