Prevention

Arts, tequila, silver, souvenirs, etc. plus services: doctors, dentists, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Prevention

Post by rossk » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:19 pm

The last 2 trips to PV I've managed to get a touch of Montezuma's. I know that's what it was, and not overindulging, etc. because i know where I got it each time. (Both times out of Vallarta, in small to tiny eateries.)

The last time, I recall getting a sulfa drug that really did the trick. I'm going to be more careful this time, but would like to have some on hand, just in case. Does anyone know the name of this stuff, or any suggestions as to what worked for them? (This is in addition to drugs like Kaopectate or Lomotil, which work only on the obvious symptoms, not the actual bugs causing the distress.)

Chris & Linda
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Chris & Linda » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:47 pm

If you go to the pharmacy they will give you the name. I always pick it up at Wallmart.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:49 pm

I firmly believe in Cipro. Also, it is not a good idea to use Imodium AD to stop things up.. At least at first. Your body is cleaning out the bad germs, and you need to allow that to happen. Of course, don't get dehydrated, so make sure an take sips of Pediolite or Gatoraid. When you are feeling not so bad, try eating a soda cracker. Then two crackers. Then real bland food and no raw veggies or fruit for a while. Take care and have fun. Chuck... 8)

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:50 am

If you went to the pharmacy in PV and asked them for something you probably got "Bactrim" (Trimetoprima y sulfametoxazol). Most of the pharmacies will give you this drug over Cipro, and it works great.

belardi
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by belardi » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:18 am

I believe it is Lomatil which is available over the counter & less expensive in Mexico, than the states where it requires a prescription.

I used to keep some handy on trips, then didn't really need it. Not sure if water purification has improved - actually, I know it has, just not sure of the impact on my system. But now when I visit, not concerned w/ salads, ice in drinks, etc. Still buy bottled water for hotel use & to brush teeth (sometimes forget). Also be sure to wash hands after exchanging money.

Though I did have a doc tell me years ago, you can get it just by swimming in the ocean...Have also heard that travelers from Mexico experience the same problem when they visit here. Simply change in environment...?

There's my two bits.

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by rossk » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:55 pm

katnsocal wrote:If you went to the pharmacy in PV and asked them for something you probably got "Bactrim" (Trimetoprima y sulfametoxazol).
That's the one. Dunno if I've just been unlucky or what, but I'm making a stop at the farmacia the first day or so. Thanks!