Pipi's guac?

All subjects that don't fit in the previous categories, including recipes, moving to PV, off the beaten path trips, cultural and non-profit and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

ajstanger
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Pipi's guac?

Post by ajstanger » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:03 pm

I am looking for the recipe to Pipi's guac. I love theirs and each time I go I forget to REALLY watch them make it. Anyone ever pay attention to what they put in? Something about theirs that I really look forward to. Let me know if anyone out there knows.

Or....... I guess I will have to go back and maybe pay more attention this time.
lol

Regards,
T.

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Re:Pipi's guac?

Post by connor » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:43 pm

Ajstanger (Jul 22, 2004 05:03 p.m.):
I am looking for the recipe to Pipi's guac. I love theirs and each time I go I forget to REALLY watch them make it. Anyone ever pay attention to what they put in? Something about theirs that I really look forward to. Let me know if anyone out there knows.

Or....... I guess I will have to go back and maybe pay more attention this time.
lol

Regards,
T.

whoops. i just put a recipe for guacamole under a diff. heading by mistake. it is under " does anyone have a recipe for guacamole " in this same site. sorry. hopefully my recipe or tags, which by the way is really good, are close to the pipi's recipe you are looking for. i have tried to make that recipe as well , i have come close , but not the same. you must remember you also have the atmosphere of the restaurant and the fact that you are in p.v. that adds to everything about the experience.

tgammon
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by tgammon » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:13 am

I haven't been to Pipi's so I don't know how their guac is made...but do they make it in molcajete? That is to say like a stone mortar and pestle? Or just in a bowl and smash it with forks or something? How it's made has a lot to do with it as well as the ingredients. Do they put the grated cheese on top...cotija? Next time I go to PV, I'll make it a point to check it out...my significant other does not not avocados so I rarely get it, even though I love it...but friends we go with like it as much as I do so I am sure we can come up with the recipe...

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:15 am

TAG (Jul 22, 2004 08:13 p.m.):
I haven't been to Pipi's so I don't know how their guac is made...but do they make it in molcajete? That is to say like a stone mortar and pestle? Or just in a bowl and smash it with forks or something? How it's made has a lot to do with it as well as the ingredients. Do they put the grated cheese on top...cotija? Next time I go to PV, I'll make it a point to check it out...my significant other does not not avocados so I rarely get it, even though I love it...but friends we go with like it as much as I do so I am sure we can come up with the recipe...
hi terrie. it is made in the stone mortar and pestle.

bzy1

Post by bzy1 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:42 am

My Guestamate

1 ripe avocado
1/3 to 1/2 firm roma tomato
2 tbs onion
1tbsp lime juice
1tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
1 garlic clove peeled and pressed or minced
1-3 tsp fresh jalapeño chili minced

Pit and peel avocado and place in molcajete
add everything except salt and chili
mash and mix
then add chii and salt to tatse and lightly mix

Provecho!

tgammon
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by tgammon » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:12 pm

bzy1 (Jul 23, 2004 01:42 a.m.):
My Guestamate

1 ripe avocado
1/3 to 1/2 firm roma tomato
2 tbs onion
1tbsp lime juice
1tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
1 garlic clove peeled and pressed or minced
1-3 tsp fresh jalapeño chili minced

Pit and peel avocado and place in molcajete
add everything except salt and chili
mash and mix
then add chii and salt to tatse and lightly mix

Provecho!
My thoughts are if you make this as Brenda has directed, and it just doesn't taste quite the same...it is the fact they are using a molcajete that is used over and over again to make guac...I have not used mine to make guacamole, usually to grind up chiles and spices for moles or mojo sauces, but I know, even with washing them thoroughly, you still get the essence of garlic, cumin, chile peppers, etc. that has been ground into the stone that adds something to the next dish made in it...Molcajetes are relatively inexpensive...and last for years and years...they are just heavy to bring back in a suitcase! But you might think of getting one next time you are in PV or if you have a local mexican grocer, maybe they can get one shipped in...then you can really show off your authentic guacamole in the real deal...

PS Another thing is the avocado itself...although a lot of the ones we have in our stores are from Mexico...but maybe just the area where the avocado comes from makes a difference int he taste as well...

bzy1

Post by bzy1 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:29 pm

The type/brand of avocado they use here is "Hass".

ajstanger
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by ajstanger » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:33 pm

WOW

Lots more than I thought was in that recipe. They do it so darn fast when they make it at your table. I will print the recipe from above and give it a try sometime soon to see.

Thanks,
T.

ajstanger
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by ajstanger » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:44 pm

ok ok ok I haven't tried making it yet but that's because we are going back in 34 days and will actually pay attention this time. Besides I want a fresher memory of the taste so I can come home and try making it than.

Can't wait,
Tony