San Sebastian del Oeste

All subjects that don't fit in the previous categories, including recipes, moving to PV, off the beaten path trips, cultural and non-profit and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin
San Sebastian del Oeste

Post by webmaster » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:25 pm

San Sebastián Ole

Life's sweetest memories often require considerable effort in the making. The trip to San Sebastian is no exception, especially if you travel overland. Some say that the trip can be made in two and a half hours from Puerto Vallarta, but that depends on where you start the clock. The small village of Las Palmas is the actual starting point. The road from the airport to Las Palmas is actually quite uneventful. You'll get a look at the new jail, the university, and the town of Desembocadas on the road leading to Las Palmas.

Once leaving Las Palmas, you will be enchanted by the rain forest which will be your companion for much of the trip. Vallarta Adventures has its famed CANOPY, which is a series of platforms connected by ropes that strand through the forest. Their participants age from "8 to 80," but you may not want to complete both events on the same day. The road winds and winds with stops often necessary to allow for passage of a vehicle going in the opposite direction. God forbid the you would have a flat tire. A small pond on the left looks very inviting, but it is quick sand. Teak trees grow on the right. About midway you approach the canyon with precipitous drops edging the road. Then there is nature's own infinity pool, which is an excuse for most folks to stop for a "breather." From there to the town of Estancia the road is quite moderate. There are a few family owned restaurants in Estancia which will please you with an order of tacos or quesadillas. A few more hairpin curves and you're almost there.

San Sebastian, some four centuries ago, was a mining town with a population approaching 40,000. Most of the workers slept up in the hills on leaves spread out. Only the jefes were afforded the luxuries of the town, which did not include bath faciities. Just outside of town is the San Sebastian airport. Stopping there, the gate was locked but the Aerotron plane was stationed there with the cockpit door open. Yelling at the tower produced a young fellow who informed that "Juan had gone into town to Christies." Asking how he had got there, the lad said "he walked." We decided to follow. Twenty minutes later we were having an afternoon snack at Christies.Juan advised us that he had to clear out for he was going to take the short 45 minutes ride to a Bufa. The latter is a landmark of San Sebastian. On a clear day you look far below at the shoreline of Puerto Vallarta. The view, or is it the altitude, literally takes your breath away.

At one end of town is La Quinta, a family owned coffee plantation. At the other end is a home made distillary which produces a clear tequilla drink called raicia. La Lupitas restauarnt is near La Quinta. Looking for a place to "bed down" generally starts in the town square. Our first attempt was a lesson in Mexican futility. There were 4 or 5 beds to a room and each bed had its respective price, depending, of course, on how many people each bed would accomodate. When we went upstairs to look at rooms on the second floor, and returned, the prices had inexplicably doubled. We ended up at La Posada, where the price was a standard 100 pesos per person. There are 3 or 4 nice little hotels each with its series of legends. Friends stayed at the inn next to the Posada. At midnight they were awakened by a loud knock at the door. Opening it, no one was there. Ghosts routinely make their rounds in San Sebastian.

Pachita is an 80 year old poet of quiet distinction. Her family came to San Sebastian when she was four. Her verses include "Un Jardin Hermoso," "La salida de la Luna," "Madre Tierra," and "El Vestido de Jesus Nazareno. "Time seems to stand still in San Sebastian. Even the clock in the church tower seems to honor that. It has read 20 minutes after seven since anyone can remember.

And, oh yes, you can take the airplane to San Sebastian from Puerto Vallarta. It's a less stressful 20 minutes depending on whether you are going or coming. Returning to Vallarta you'll be treated to a spin along the south shore. July will see a modernization of the runway in San Sebastian. All the comforts of home in this mysterious little town carved out of nature's turf.

A trip to be remembered whether by land or air.

Peter Wells Scott
Last edited by webmaster on Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suzy

Re:San Sebastian del Oeste

Post by suzy » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:50 am

Mogens (Mar 17, 2004 06:25 p.m.):
San Sebastián Ole

Life's sweetest memories often require considerable effort in the making. The trip to San Sebastian is no exception, especially if you...

I was wondering if anyone knew wether it was possible to go from PV to San Sebastian on horseback? Would love to explore this area on my next visit,,possibly in late November of 04.

PV FAN

Post by PV FAN » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:38 pm

Wow Peter, now that is what I call a trip report. San Sebastian was on our to do list on our last trip, but unfortunately it was cut way short due to flights and so due to your report, we will definitely go next year. Thank you for a wonderful, informative website and I really like the new additions!

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by smitty » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:20 pm

You have to love a story that includes a ghost and raicilla, very interesting.

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Sat May 15, 2004 8:16 pm

the trip to san sebastian sounds like alot of work, but it sure sounds worth it. i think we will have to try it out this year. we have 2 weeks in p.v. this year so lots of time to try new things out. the san sebastian trip sounds alot like the trip from mazatlan to copala. it is in the sierra madre mtns, you go through the tiny town of concordia were they make tortilla chips. when you get to copala it is just a tiny little settlement going back a couple of centuries. there is not alot there bur the restaurant serves great local food. the trip back down the mtn is quite interesting. the road zigzags all the way down. the road is littered with crosses at the side of the road. a constant reminder of the other folks less lucky on their trip back down. we made it, but back at the resort we needed liquid refreshments to settle the frayed nerves. m.m.

otter

Post by otter » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:36 am

"I was wondering if anyone knew wether it was possible to go from PV to San Sebastian on horseback? Would love to explore this area on my next visit,,possibly in late November of 04."

Check out Rancho Charro they do horseback trips up to San Sebastian

bishopolis
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

New Bridge == Quicker Trip

Post by bishopolis » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:28 am

Hey folks. Thought I'd follow-up a bit with some recent developments.

I was at San Sebastian del Oueste on the 26th of December, 2006, and I can tell you that yes, trips to SSdO start in PV itself: our day with Viktor of Vallarta Adventures started at the doorstep of our tacky tourist resort, right near the maritime port. It cannot have been more than 90 minutes to SSdO, but we stopped at the Parador San Sebastian raicilla distillery for a tour and tasting.

Anyway, it's no 2.5 hours any longer, and it's definitely a place even the tacky tourist can explore easily. The airstrip looks good - nicely upgraded - and the people of SSdO were very, very friendly to our mob of slackers invading their town.

Doña Conchita didn't read any poetry that day, but she looked a bit tired (despite what she said when Viktor asked) while we were there. I didn't notice if the clock was fixed, but maybe my preference would be that it NOT get fixed -- since SSdO is a living living very well outside of the notice of father time!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/166/3513 ... b518_b.jpg

big guy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by big guy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:05 am

Last Mar we went up to San Seb. in a rented V.W. convert from P.V. It Was a great day away from the beach, had lunch at a little place by the town square. It would be an interesting evening if you stayed up there. We talked to a couple from Toronto who go there regularly to spend the night. Sometimes they fly and sometimes they drive. Sounded like fun but different.