Christmas goodies

All subjects that don't fit in the previous categories, including recipes, moving to PV, off the beaten path trips, cultural and non-profit and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God
Christmas goodies

Post by travelbug_jp » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:48 am

Just wondering what everyones all time favourite homemade Christmas goody is. I'm thinking specifically of baking, like cookies, dainties, chocolates etc.
I make homemade chocolates at Christmas time and only then, it keeps them special. Most of them are not difficult to make only time consuming. I'm going to my sisters today to make rum balls. I will experiment this year with my truffles, I'm going to see how they taste with amaretto or baileys in them, or how about with banana liquour? M-mmmm. Image

Joyce

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Christmas Goodies

Post by smitty » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:10 pm

I love Fruit Cake - either the dark or the light . Always have and always will and ain't ashamed to admit it . :) I've never made my own but I'll eat any that is offered . :)

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:56 pm

DELETED

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:07 am

this time of year, i will bake all kinds of breads (wheat, potato, farmers loaf - mixture of wheat, white, and rye... ) then i will get rolling on my snicker doodle cookies, Lorrie's favorite sugar cookies, and then for good measure i will make Monster cookies and Oatmeal Crisps... when i have time of course... and i have an excellent recipe for "spicy" pretzels... mmm mmmmm good.... if i find it tonight, i will post in the morning....

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:41 pm

I know I should know this and have probably even eaten them ... but I can't picture them right now ... what is a snicker-doodle? Today I'm dipping 9 dozen homemade turtles into milk chocolate!

Joyce

mshuckleberrys
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mshuckleberrys » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:57 pm

Have you ever eaten the white choc covered oreo balls? (The center is crushed oreo cookies and cream cheese) So easy and no bake. I had them at my deli/gift shop open house again this year. Always a hit. I will send recipe, if you want. Also, a mini pecan muffin. You need the mini muffin pan. They are realllly good and rich. Lots of butter in them. Not a Paula Dean recipe but I bet she would love them. Nora from Missouri
Last edited by mshuckleberrys on Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:57 pm

travelbug_jp wrote:I know I should know this and have probably even eaten them ... but I can't picture them right now ... what is a snicker-doodle? Today I'm dipping 9 dozen homemade turtles into milk chocolate!

Joyce
They are a butter cookie rolled in cinnamon and sugar..... interesting to have them and dip them in milk... ooooooooooo but the milk is just a little too sweet then after that... LOL....

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:33 pm

Girls in the family enjoy a few sweets..the guys fill on potatoes dressing and meats.. We all prefer dips... orderves and nibblies..little meat buns are tradition .I spend more time making the above rather than baking sweets but.....
There are a few sweets that are a must of the tray
small mincemeat tarts
date cake..we call it mana
shortbread and
nanaimo squares (usually buy them instead of baking)
Kindergarten cookies..My Aunt was a kindergarten teacher ..She had a wonderful sugar cookie recipe that was easy to roll and user cookie cutters on..I still bake them and then Cailyn Granddaughter) and I decorate . Plus4 and I used to. :)

My fav.. traditional treats are Grans peppernut cookies.. Old World cookies
peppernoten in Dutch. The little cookies are labor intensive. The dough is sticky and tough ... chilled then rolled into ropes and cut into small bite-size pieces. Some folks use thimbles to make peppernuts.
No pepper and no nuts in the cookies..

Fun post Joyce..

Be Happy Cookers.. :)
Last edited by Plus4 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michelle/tyler
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by michelle/tyler » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:12 pm

I dont bake. but my sister in law does and my mom so a must have is mini imperial cookies, VINATARTA, shortbread, nanaimo, almond slice

and you cant forget homemade nuts and bolts homemade yumm

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: Christmas Goodies

Post by rossk » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:00 pm

smitty wrote:I love Fruit Cake - either the dark or the light . Always have and always will and ain't ashamed to admit it . :) I've never made my own but I'll eat any that is offered . :)
Smitty, you've given me the courage to *come out* on this one. I think I'm the only one in either my family, or my wife's, who likes fruitcake. Seems to have pretty much fallen out of fashion over the years, it's been ages since I've had any. Ross

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:57 pm

This is fun! So the turtles are done and packed up for little gifts and exchanges and I also made a double batch of cookies this afternoon with a rolo surprise in the centre, very gooey and yummy!
I don't mind a small piece of fruitcake, I even made one one year - in July and served it at Christmas. It wasn't that great so I never made it again.
mshuckleberry... would love that recipe sounds yummy. Thank you.
Keep it coming folks, I love it :D

Joyce