Housing issues

All subjects that don't fit in the previous categories, including recipes, moving to PV, off the beaten path trips, cultural and non-profit and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

BellaLuna
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by BellaLuna » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:43 am

Wow Roger, remind me never to invite you for dinner to my gas station in the Mojave desert, as it apparently has no appeal and very inadequate kitchen storage.

Roger, have you ever gone into Mega and noticed how large their freezer section is?? There isn't one. Actually there is but very tiny. There is a reason for this, as well as for concrete.

Watch those termites, they just love those touristas who move in and build those wood homes. LOL

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:05 pm

There's no problems if the wood is treated (well treated, I must add).

What's that about the freezer section?

Mogens

BellaLuna
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by BellaLuna » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:07 am

Hi Mogens!!! I was in Guadalajara 3 times, where have you been??? LOL

The freezer section in the Mega is about 3 doors wide, the one in Lai is about 2, unlike the freezer sections in the states and Canada which take up about 3 aisles. Folks just don't buy the pre-made food in the freezer cases like they do stateside. Ruben and I and our friends just cook fresh everyday. The freezer section in Soriana is a bit bigger, I'm assuming that is due to it being built more like a market from the states and gets a fair amount of the Marina folks that maybe have big freezers and like to stock them. I can't say for Walmart, as I've never shopped for groceries there.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:15 pm

:-) in GDL still, was out for a week long vacation last week, but otherwise, here all the time.

Aha, did not know the freezer sections are so large in the US, it's been some time since I've been in the food section of a US supermarket. Walmart here in GDL is quite large one long isle both sides, plus the frozen seafood-meat section, but yes, pre-made food isn't much of a fad here, plus it's not that healthy either, not as food made lovingly at home :-)

Greetings

Mogens

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:08 pm

DELETED

roger1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by roger1 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:41 am

:) Thanks to mgallard and bella luna et al:
I like what I'm hearing from you all. Even here in the US I don't eat or use frozen food anyway. Veggies, meats, and poultry, and fish I buy fresh at local stores. So lack of frozen food sections in PV markets is irrelevant. HOWEVER, when lazy I like to count on finding frozen veggies, you know, like peas, corn, string beans, and so on. Are these available? Seems my life style here in the US already is a little bit closer to a Mexican style than other gringos in PV. This is encouraging.

Re: wood housing: I understand about the termites. I have no intention of building in wood. There must be something attractive in the spectrum between concrete block "bunkers" and wood though. What do you do about electricity outlets, fixtures, adding windows, hanging shelves, and so on, in a concrete block house??

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:01 pm

You need not write off wood houses, just find a reputable company that can build it with treated wood, which is not attacked in any way by insects. I certainly prefer wood houses over any concrete house, any day.

Regarding the frozen veggies, yes there are quite a few brands that offer different versions and mixes.

Greetings

Mogens

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:14 pm

There are many beautiful homes in Mexico that do not look like concerte bunkers. Adding windows to the "bunker" is just like adding any other windows when you are building. The construction is configured with the window/door openings. Hanging shelves in concerte block can be done with special hangers made for just that. The electrical is done by cutting the blocks to allow the wiring/outlets/etc to run inside the walls. It doesn't have to look like a concrete bunker or a warehouse. :D

Every fence in my city is concrete block, alot of them have been stuccoed over, many people have added brick/stone/slate and they look very nice. My fireplace is floor to seeing brick and I have used the concrete hangers for my mantle and two very large pictures with no problems.

So not to worry, your house will not look like a bunker.

john65
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re:

Post by john65 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:58 am

roger1 wrote::) Thanks to mgallard and bella luna et al:
I like what I'm hearing from you all. Even here in the US I don't eat or use frozen food anyway. Veggies, meats, and poultry, and fish I buy fresh at local stores. So lack of frozen food sections in PV markets is irrelevant. HOWEVER, when lazy I like to count on finding frozen veggies, you know, like peas, corn, string beans, and so on. Are these available? Seems my life style here in the US already is a little bit closer to a Mexican style than other gringos in PV. This is encouraging.

Re: wood housing: I understand about the termites. I have no intention of building in wood. There must be something attractive in the spectrum between concrete block "bunkers" and wood though. What do you do about electricity outlets, fixtures, adding windows, hanging shelves, and so on, in a concrete block house??
Hii,

Seeing you guys very helped full in my earlier post concerning, I thought I would seek your help on another pest. Could anyone recommend a good company that does Termite prevention and annual inspection in the Gold Coast area? Have read some disturbing stories of not so ethical pest eradication companies. Have heard that some areas of Gold Coast do have problems with Termites ( horrible things ) and I want to do all I can to prevent any infestation when I buy a property. Naturally there will be a clause in the contract stating subject to building and Termite inspection, but of course, that will only be satisfactory if the inspectors do a good job.
Last edited by john65 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Housing issues

Post by webmaster » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:01 pm

You should contact Leonel that lives in the PV area and see if he has someone he can recommend: tours@puertovallarta.net

Greetings

Mogens