Nasty critters there?

All subjects that don't fit in the previous categories, including recipes, moving to PV, off the beaten path trips, cultural and non-profit and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

roger1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Nasty critters there?

Post by roger1 » Thu May 15, 2008 6:16 am

In a Mexico blog I read that scorpions and "a viper" come into the blogger's house on a weekly basis. It was not clear what part of Mexico that blogger lives in. But...are scorpions and vipers to be found in the Bay of Banderas area?

Vipers are by definition lethat and scorpion stings are excruciatingly painful. (Having lived and hiked around California for many years I'm no stranger to snakes...a few days ago I came within inches of stepping on a 3-ft-long rattlesnake in California and we both parted amicably.) During multiple vacations in Mexico and PV I never encountered these critters nor heard any talk of them.

So, what's the case in the PV area...do vipers and scorpions show up in houses there?
----Roger PVwannabe

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Sat May 17, 2008 1:11 am

i haven't seen scorpions in pv but i have in yelapa. you need to watch where you're walking in the casa.

lyrihn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Location:Higuera Blanca / El Tizate / La Cruz de Huanacaxtle

Post by lyrihn » Mon May 19, 2008 9:16 am

There are venomous snakes and scorpions living in and around the PV area.

Snakes are more common of course where there is more nature and less habitation.

I have never seens a poisonous snake within the city limits. I have encountered them when hiking in the surrounding wilderness.

In smaller towns like Bucerias or La Cruz, Sayulita etc you would be more likely to encounter a snake than in the middle of PV.

Scorpions and spiders are another story. They can be found anywhere. They are easily controlled with poisons or even easily ignored. Its not like they are all that common indoors (under most circumstances)

In my opinion neither snakes or scorpions or any other critter is a serious issue here - even in remote areas. Ive probably been hiking 1000 times over the past 9 years in remote jungle areas and have encountered a poisonous snake only 5 or 6 times. Each time the snake went its own way and I went mine.

I have been stung by a scorpion maybe 6 times over the years - almost always when working in jungle areas sticking my hands where they dont belong.

Once by taking a t-shirt off a half wall that had been there all night and putting it on without checking - the little bugger was inside keeping warm with the night and he zapped me.

roger1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re: snakes & scorps

Post by roger1 » Mon May 19, 2008 10:44 am

Jeffrey, thanks a lot for your reply to my query.
It's not the most comforting answer I could have hoped for but I thank you for it anyway. Guess even the original Paradise had its snake!
Do the scorpion poisons really work?
What about using natural "terminators" like a gecko lizard? I like those critters and would like to cultivate them around my abode to keep down the fly & spider population. But can a gecko kill a scorpion, do you think?
---Roger PVwannabe

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon May 19, 2008 11:38 am

Scorpions are a natural part of the habitat as are gecko's so I don't think the gecko theory will work..the geckos haven't won out yet.

As to the question do the scorpion "posions" work, yes they work very well. LOL. I assume you are asking if the anti-venom for the scropions works, yes it does...but the sooner you get it administered the better off you will be. the size of the scorpion and the amount of venom you get does affect the reaction you will have.

We saw a coral snake along side the road last Nov. but we were out in the mountains, I don't think you will find them in town but in some of the outlying areas I would watch for them.

lyrihn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Location:Higuera Blanca / El Tizate / La Cruz de Huanacaxtle

Post by lyrihn » Mon May 19, 2008 12:58 pm

If you mean the poisons (sprays) to kill scorpions, yes some work very well. They are not the safest things for the environment.

I dont want to alarm you.Most people living in PV have never seen a snake or scorpion. I am a biologist so i sort of have an eye out for them at all times.

I would say pv is about as safe as you can get without living in a bubble. even the northern states in the USA have poisonous spiders and snakes.

You're worrying too much.

roger1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

No bubble for me!

Post by roger1 » Mon May 19, 2008 2:56 pm

Jeffrey:
You're right...I am making too big a deal out of this.
It was just the prospect of having to things like seal my shoes in plastic bags when not wearing them, shaking out the bedsheets every nite before retiring, searching kitchen cupboards w/a flashlight before reaching in for a can of beans, etc. etc. that was bugging me (so to speak).
If daily life in PV requires that kind of vigilance then it's not for me. But from what I gather in these replies, that's not the case.
Thanks all for the enlightenment.
---Roger PVwannabe

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Re: No bubble for me!

Post by ellen » Tue May 20, 2008 2:08 am

roger1 wrote:Jeffrey:
You're right...I am making too big a deal out of this.
It was just the prospect of having to things like seal my shoes in plastic bags when not wearing them, shaking out the bedsheets every nite before retiring, searching kitchen cupboards w/a flashlight before reaching in for a can of beans, etc. etc. that was bugging me (so to speak).
If daily life in PV requires that kind of vigilance then it's not for me. But from what I gather in these replies, that's not the case.
Thanks all for the enlightenment.
---Roger PVwannabe
My husband and I have a condo in downtown PV. In the 5 years we have owned it I have to admit it's never even dawned on me to do seal my shoes, shake out the bedsheets or search the kitchen cupboards, and I haven't been stung yet, nor even seen something alarming. Now where's that piece of wood to knock on......

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Tue May 20, 2008 2:38 am

Hey Jeff: How is your place coming... Is it open yet? You posted once quite a long time ago with the website address and I liked what I saw... Lost the address though?