BRINGING AUTOMOBILE TO MEXICO

All subjects that don't fit in the previous categories, including recipes, moving to PV, off the beaten path trips, cultural and non-profit and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

MLHARRISFL
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
BRINGING AUTOMOBILE TO MEXICO

Post by MLHARRISFL » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:20 pm

My wife and I are planning a three month visit to the PV area early in 2009. Its part of a longer soujourn from Florida to Mexico so we are using our personal vehicle. (Toyota FJ Cruiser). Can anyone please give me a quick briefing or referral to information on the requirements of bringing a private vehicle to Mexico?

I am just signed up with the board and will be reading and responding when appropriate to other posts.

I love Latin America and have been fortunate enough to have visited many countries as a private tour guide for almost 25 years. I have spent a lot of time driving in Mexico and other Central American countries,

Looking forward to further communications with the board members.

Arizona Karen
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

car

Post by Arizona Karen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:23 pm

Where are you planning on crossing the border?

You're probably aware that you'll need to buy Mexican insurance and purchasing it for a year will be cheaper than just for 3 months.

One site says "...contact the Mexico Government Tourist Organization (MGTO) at telephone 1-800-44-MEXICO (639-426). Travelers are advised to consult with the Mexican Embassy or the nearest Mexican consulate in the United States for additional, detailed information prior to entering Mexico."

Here's another page with exact information. http://www.mexonline.com/drivemex.htm

AAA says "STEP 3 - Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit
Anyone traveling into Sonora or the Interior must get a Vehicle Permit. When you drive your car into Mexico, the authorities there consider it a temporary importation of that vehicle and they want your promise that you will return the vehicle to the U.S, so you will also sign a second document called a Promise To Return Vehicle.
To obtain the Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit, you must have:

Valid drivers license.
Vehicle's original title or original registration.
If the vehicle is leased or is not owned by you, you must have a notarized letter from the leasing company and/or registered owner giving you permission to take the vehicle into Mexico. Be sure it includes the VIN number.
If there is a lien on the vehicle, a letter from the lien-holder authorizing use of the vehicle in Mexico.
Major credit card in your name (on a U.S. or Canadian bank). Use the card to pay the vehicle permit fee, approximately $11-$20. Note: This card is also used to guarantee to the Mexican government that the vehicle will be returned to the U.S. If you do not wish to use a credit card, you must post a bond equal to the value of your vehicle, a costly and involved procedure."

MLHARRISFL
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

DRIVING A CAR INTO MEXICO

Post by MLHARRISFL » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:37 am

Thanks for the information. I don't know where I'll be crossing the border exactly. My last stop in the USA is likely to be in Silver City, NM and crossings available are Aguas Prietas and Palomas. Palomas has the necessary infrastructure.

One good tip I remembered from the last time I drove into Mexico with a rental car was that they required multiple copies of all documents. If you did not have them after waiting in line for ??? what, an hour........you had to go to a local place which makes photocopies get them made and return to the line you were previously waiting in. The tip is to have at least 3 or more clear photocopies of every document. Although they obviously have a photocopy machine at the customs station, you can't and they won't use it for this. Even if you paid for it.

The insurance thing is another matter. My wife just got back from a month in PV and she rented a car from Avis at the airport. She did not have to buy any additional insurance, but that was probably because Avis has their own and the car is registered in Mexico.

Hasta luego,
Miguel

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:45 pm

You will need
-27 USD at the border

-international credit card or post a bond of USD 200 to 400 depending on the vehicle (returned when you leave)

-copies of your proof of citizenship, e.g. passport, vehicle title

www. paisano.gob.mx

You can purchase Mexican insurance at the border.

All this can also be done ahead of time at selected Mexican consulates:
Chicago, Denver, Phoenix, LA, Austin, Houston, Dallas...

poppy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Your auto

Post by poppy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:43 pm

We brought our car down two years ago from Chicago. I went to the Mexican Consulate in the City and got our sticker to go through the border at Nuevo Loredo (you can pass anywhere as long as you have the sticker on your windshield). In our case, we having no intention of ever bringing the car back to Chicago. It will stay in Mexico. Of course, you need to have your FM3. It was like having an IPASS on your car; they just waived us through. We buy our car insurance from Mexico Bob and you can get your car insurance over the phone. Everyone I know uses Mexico Bob. San Xavier Mexico Insurance. Robert Acosta. Tucson Phone is 520-327-1255; tollfree is 888-327-1255. Email: mexicobob@aol.com

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:24 pm

You only need an FMT.

poppy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

FMT

Post by poppy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:43 am

Yes, that's correct if you are only staying in Mexico with your car for a short time. An FMT would be sufficient. An FM3 would be beneficial if you were going to keep the car in Mexico. An FMT would be good for 180 days (probably) and then you would have to bring the car back to the U.S.

LeeVP
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Mexico Auto Insurance

Post by LeeVP » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:54 pm

I am a broker for Mexican auto insurance and represent over a dozen companies. I also can help with home, condo, boat, aircraft, crew insurance and international health medical plans. Americare Advantage 322-209-0642 or in the U.S. 414-431-8147 http://AmericanAdv.biz