Intro and Questions

All subjects that don't fit in the previous categories, including recipes, moving to PV, off the beaten path trips, cultural and non-profit and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Shimano Penn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Intro and Questions

Post by Shimano Penn » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:27 pm

Hi all, very nice group you have here. I am currently in San Diego and have my sites set on living in Mexico. I'm 51 and not even close to retirement. I'd rather move sooner than later if possible. Now before you jump in with all the usual disclaimers you should know that I am well suited to the life, I spent 12 years on St Thomas, USVI and completely understand how things work. I also lived and worked on several other Caribbean Islands during that time. The slower pace is just fine by me and I understand that what takes 10 minutes to accomplish in America can take days or be outright impossible at lower lattitudes. My needs are pretty simple when I'm in a place I love being. I speak a little Spanish and it gets better by the day. I visited PV a few times in the 80's, it is a lot like St Thomas and looks like a fine place to call home.

The primary question is, can I work there? I keep getting conflicting answers on this. Most people say no, or at least not legally. They say Americans can work only if they have special skill sets and there is no Mexican National available to fill the job. Still, many here seem to be working, what is the reality? What is considered work anyway? It sounds like many here own a small business, is that easier than working for someone else? The only real transferable skills I have are in construction, I am an electrical contractor by trade. I have also owned and operated two other small businesses so am experienced and comfortable with that.

If I came down there with some money in my pocket, say $50-100K US or so, are there small business opportunities that might provide a modest living?

Of course I have many more questions but this is the major one that will determine how soon I can make the move.

TIA for your thoughts, - David

Aurora G.
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Job offers in Puerto Vallarta

Post by Aurora G. » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:07 pm

Dear Shimano Penn:

At the moment, we have several openings at our company. We have post an add at www.occ.com.mx

This are the requirements:
Scholarship: Any minor or major degree
Native English Speaker
Spanish, not necessary
No experience needed!

We offer:
Best commission plans for sales in the industry.
Average income above $10,500 pesos per month
Bonus on achieving goals
Uniforms
Constant training
Professional career plans according to personal results
Excellent working environment
Flexible working schedules

Skills:
Easygoing
Excellent communication skills
Extroverted Personality
Sociable person who makes friends easily
Focused on goals
Professional development opportunities

If Interested please contact us.
Aurora Gordillo, aaguire@royal-holiday.com
From 9am to 5pm, Monday through Saturday.
Phone: 01-800-5075099 ext 1118 / Ph. 01 (322) 2262 050 ext. 1118

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:05 pm

There you go....you can sell Timeshares! :lol:

Shimano Penn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Shimano Penn » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:11 pm

I'm thinking not :roll:

Geez, my first post and I that is what I get? :shock:

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:30 am

Be careful what you wish for, LOL.

You already know the wages (if you can get a job down there, will be next to nothing compared to what you are acustomed to making). My son is an electrical contractor and what he saw in PV as far as electrical work, he said really scared him, LOL. Put it this way, when I build my house in PV he said he is coming down to do all the electrical work. So I guess what you will have to decide is can you go into your usual profession in PV and be able to handle how things are done. The other thing is that I believe, unless you can find a sponsor, you will NOT be able to get your work permit to work legally, for as you said, anything that a local mexican citizen can do.

People get into TS because they can speak fluent english to the customers.

Shimano Penn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Shimano Penn » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:50 pm

OK thanks, I pretty much understand that, but what about owning a business? Does one need a work permit for that?

Another question, a bit far out but I happen to be single and looking for someone, mostly attracted to Latinas anyway. Plenty of them here in SD :wink: If I should happen to marry a Mexican citizen would my picture change any?

I have tried sales a couple times, I suck at it :cry:

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

All Work And No Play

Post by smitty » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:08 pm

Hey SP - I just googled Americans working in Mexico and got answers for almost every scenario you asked . Give it a try - its free .

You romantic devil- considering marrying a Mexican gal to improve your chances at employment - who says romance is dead ?

Shimano Penn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Shimano Penn » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:38 pm

"You romantic devil- considering marrying a Mexican gal to improve your chances at employment - who says romance is dead ?"

Yea, I knew it was going to come off like that :oops: I said "if it should happen", not "this is my plan" 8)

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Gotcha

Post by smitty » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:03 pm

OK SP - I hope it works out for you .

mexican one
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by mexican one » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:08 pm

I have some ideas for you please send me an email...I have lived in pv for 3.5 winters...in canada now but am planning to go back soon. I have a mexican corp so can give you lots of info.
Dan

nml_holdings
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Work in PV

Post by nml_holdings » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:12 pm

Good Afternoon David,

My name is Michael. My business partner and I may have some work for you in the PV area if you are interested. WE require an electrical engineer with talent. the work could be long term depending on what you would like.

we can be reached by email : nml_holdings@yahoo.com.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Michael Lautru

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:55 am

What particular talent are you looking for?

Is it not enough that you require someone who is an electrical engineer which is a huge credential to possess, without requiring the incumbent to also possess some 'talent'?

How can you do this to people? If you end up with more than one candidate are you going to have a competition? What skills will you require of the judges?

Perhaps you should narrow this down somewhat! :lol: