Families with children

All subjects that don't fit in the previous categories, including recipes, moving to PV, off the beaten path trips, cultural and non-profit and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

sfactor
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Families with children

Post by sfactor » Tue May 05, 2009 4:41 pm

I have done lots and lots of research but haven't found but maybe two people in the last five years that live in PV with their children. Is there anyone who has children living in PV with them that can give me information on how they school their children (private or public) and medical insurance for their children.

Thanks! :)

Tori
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Tori » Sun May 10, 2009 1:52 pm

Hi there,
I'm a canadian living here now almost 2 years with my husband who is Mexican and my 3 year old daughter who's dual (Canadian/Mexican). Our daughter will be starting private school this August mainly because we want to keep her bilingual and she can start a year earlier than public school. Our neices and nephews attend public school and I find they have large class sizes and the standard of education is not great (so I've been told by the majority of our Mexican friends and family). Private school can be a little pricey about $3,000 pesos/mth plus registration fees. I have heard of less expensive primary schhols like Colegio Salzmann (Bucerias) but I'm not sure of the cost exactly. It also is possible to home school your children as well with the Canadian system, I'm assuming American as well? As for medical insurance we use IMSS paid through my husband's work. You can also purchase this insurance as a resident of Mexico. I'm not sure of the cost exactly but it's very inexpensive, maybe close to $400 US for a small family. Sometimes it's a bit of a wait if you have to see a Doctor without an appointment (appts. need to be made at least 2 weeks in advance) but it's worth it to go if blood tests, x-rays, or medication is needed as it's all covered. We usually see a private Doctor for things like ear infections, and pay out of our own pocket which costs $200 pesos. If you have a bigger budget it's possible to get private health insurance but it's definetly a lot more expensive( there are many different companies that can help you with this). Hope this helps!

sfactor
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by sfactor » Sun May 10, 2009 9:56 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. It's nice to hear from someone first hand.

sfactor
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Colegio Salzmann

Post by sfactor » Wed May 13, 2009 4:17 pm

I tried to find info on colegio salzmann but couldn't find much as far as cost.

There is a private school in Los Sauces called American International School. Do you know anything about that school and if it's expensive. I can't find it online.

Tori
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Tori » Sun May 17, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi again,
I'm not sure of the cost of Colegio Salzmann but an aquaintance told me that it was significantly cheaper then the $3,300 pesos/month at Colegio Bucerias (that's for pre-school and it increases by 5% each year). Sorry I can't help with the question about the other school. I also had a lot of difficulty finding info online, I basiclly drove around and got phone numbers for schools and e-mailed them questions. I'd suggest that on your next visit do the same, unfortunatley most things here require a lot of footwork. If I come accross anymore info I'll make sure to post it.

netwark
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Colegio Salzmann

Post by netwark » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:54 pm

Annual Inscription
Kindergarden and pre-school: $2,000 pesos
Elementary: $3,000

You get a discount if you pay at the end of the school year (for the next). We paid $2,100 in March!

Monthly fee:
Kindergarden and pre-school: $1,600.00 - $1,770.00
Elementary: $1,950.00

You get a 10% discount for the second child.

You also need to buy insurance $150 per child.

Much cheaper than Colegio Bucerias. Small courtyard, but the kids only have 1/2 hour recess anyways...who cares!

cactusdulce
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

sending a child to school

Post by cactusdulce » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:57 pm

I am having the same issues trying to find information about schools. My son will be going into the 7th grade when we move to the PV area. I think this is secondary school in Mexico. He does not speak Spanish fluently although we are all getting lessons now. The American School in PV is WAY out of budget. Does anyone have any information on reasonably priced secondary schools? Does Colegio Salzmann offer secondary classes? Again, any information would be extremely helpful. We are currently living in Central America and really want to move to Mexico soon, but need to make sure our son will have a school to attend He is way to much of a social bug to be homeschooled. :)

netwark
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

High School in Bucerias/PV

Post by netwark » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:57 pm

Salzmann does not offer secondary schooling.

You have a choice of Colegio Bucerias (kind of expensive).

I have put info about schools on my site moving to Mexico http://www.movingtomexico.ca/kids.html

You might want to look at Colegio Mexico-Americano which is not as expensive as the American Schools. They have an all English Program available if I remember correctly.

You can find more info about the town of Bucerias at http://www.bestofbucerias.com

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:26 am

Great info and thread...thank you!

mason
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mason » Mon May 03, 2010 9:24 pm

hi i live in vallarta with my 2 girls.

i found a school quite fast. its private and most of the private schools are in almost the same area. ( i found).

priave school give you both english and spanish.. do cheak with them first how much english they realy do. is it half an half!! or just afew hours per day.

once here in vallarta a day trip visting schools - you will find the one you want.