Moving to Puerto Vallarta 2011

All subjects that don't fit in the previous categories, including recipes, moving to PV, off the beaten path trips, cultural and non-profit and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Venturess
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Moving to Puerto Vallarta 2011

Post by Venturess » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:45 pm

This is my first visit to this forum. Although I have never been to Puerto Vallarta, my son has visited on several occassions and just loves it. We are now seriously planning to move from Ontario, Canada as of today.

We are considering purchasing a property and building, but I am also looking at the potential for buying a home. Sigh!!! I would like to hear from others who live in Puerto Vallarta on tips of how to best to procede with making it my home, and our about your experiences. My main concern at this time health care (i.e. hospital/doctor) since I will be 65 when I make the move; but do not have any serious medical conditions.

I have really enjoyed reading some of the suggestions and recommendations. At my age time flies, so I don't believe I have begun to ask questions too soon.

Warmly, Venturess

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:24 am

My first suggestion would be to do alot of research. A good start for basics is www.rollybrook.com.

My second suggestion is if you are planning on living in PV year round you need to experience the summers. It is expensive to run air conditioning all the time and as you get older tropical heat can be harder to tolerate.

My third suggestion is to go down and spend a couple of months before you make a purchase. A very good friend of mine who has lived there for over 20 years always tells people to live there for 6 months before buying anything. That gives you a chance to experience the culture, weather, and decide what area of town you want to live in.

There are many real estate sites that you can browse for ideas of houses/condos/land and their prices, just google Puerto Vallarta Real Estate and you will find all of the major ones to look through their listings.

Have fun doing your research, planning is half the fun.

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:13 pm

kat is right about the tropical weather. spend the month of september in pv. you'll experience the full effect of the heat and humidity....