Tehualmixtle

All subjects that don't fit in the previous categories, including recipes, moving to PV, off the beaten path trips, cultural and non-profit and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

mandd98
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Tehualmixtle

Post by mandd98 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:56 pm

Has anyone ever traveled to Tehualmixtle or Playa Maito? How bad is the road and is the trip worth it?

Allinthecards
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Allinthecards » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:52 pm

My absolute favorite beach is Mayto. So incredibly beautiful, definately worth the trip!!! The road is like any gravel or dirt road a little washboardy in places, recommend to make the trip in the morning.

cabron
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by cabron » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:14 pm

A lot of the road is now surfaced and eventually will be all the way, I go there often, best fresh seafood in Tehua.

warmweathermark
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by warmweathermark » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 pm

I was just to Tehuamixtle last week.

My parents were down and love the oysters and the view of the town from above is spectacular.

The road to El Tuito is decent but the first ten miles outside of PV are full
of pot holes. The mountains are beautiful with the evergreen forest on
the highest part of the drive.

That being said the road just out of El Tuito is paved for a mile or two
and another portion down the line. The rest of the way to Tehuamixtle
is rough because of the recent rains this winter. We had to stop twice to
let my folks rest from the pounding and I was going slow.

Total miles from the Pemex on the south end of PV, 52 one way.

Is it worth the trip, the food at Candy's is great and the views are
wonderful once you get there.

I only go there twice a year but its great to get away from PV once in a while. Public transportation is limited.

Another trip further down the road is Barra de Navidad and the beaches on the way are world class.

johnny2bc
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by johnny2bc » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:44 pm

Here's a recent (this week) trip report - it provides details re: road conditions, mileages, bus info from El Tuito, what to expect re: beaches, and some great pictures too!! Some very helpful, and current information for anyone contemplating this trip.

Wow, it sure looks worth the effort to get there!!!

-http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g15 ... Coast.html

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:46 pm

I have never found it such a chore to get there. The road is better now than it was the first time I went but if you do your research it should not be a surprise that it is basically a dirt road through the mountains. Not a road for a car that is low to the ground but I have been in a SUV twice and on a Van tour once. Yes, it is about 3 hrs each way but an hour of that is on Hwy 200 to El Tuito which is a good paved, well maintained road all the way. I also do not agree with the statment that the beach at Tehua is not swimmable. Tehua itself is a bay and very calm, Mayto on the other hand is another story. Even with all the surfing and body surfing I have done in So Cal the break and current at Mayto is what makes it so dangerous to swim in.

If you get the chance to go down there take a van tour or rent a jeep and go before the area changes. Plans are already in place for another airport in that area and with that will come hotels and change. The plans are in the works for a lake with bass fishing, hotels, etc. That area will not remain pristine and isloated for much longer.

KarenR
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by KarenR » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:38 pm

Any updates on road conditions to Playa Mayto?