Dog requirements

All subjects that don't fit in the previous categories, including recipes, moving to PV, off the beaten path trips, cultural and non-profit and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

markinca
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Dog requirements

Post by markinca » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:45 pm

We recently purchased a condo in PV and have a small 8 lb dog. What are the shot requirements for entering and leaving the country at the airports

Kimmy B
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Kimmy B » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:09 am

You simply require a health certificate from your vet, stating that shots are up to date and that the pet is healthy. The requirements are reciprocal between Canada/US/Mexico.

droyce
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Annual Rabies Necessary for Entry into Mexico

Post by droyce » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:29 pm

You also in addition to having your health cert from the vet must have proof of an annual rabies vacination when entering Mexico. Either in the form of the metal rabies tag or the paperwork done from the vet administering the vacination. While a rabies vacination can last for approx 3 years in the US they require a shot EVERY year for rabies to enter Mexico.

pat
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by pat » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:58 am

Yes, you need proof of yearly rabies shots and a health certificate stating the animal is free of internal and external parasites.

droyce
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Dog Requirements futher detail

Post by droyce » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:08 pm

Maybe I have been lucky, going back and forth with my perdidta but they have never mentioned parasites on my health form and I just go to the vet, they weigh her and fill out the form with my address and collect the 200 pesos here in Mexico. They have never done a fecal float to check for parasites in the US or Mexico. So I don't know how they can determine if she has parasites just by weighing and looking at her. In the US my vet charges me about $60USD fills out the form, weighs her, takes her temperature, looks in her ears, mouth and eyes and feels around her belly and does a general pat down. They check her records for being current on her parvo virus and kennel cough etc in the US, but that is not required for entry into Mexico, only annual rabies and the health cert. She flys across the border about 3 times a year. Sometimes when I am in the US for a short time I use the same exit health cert from the Mexico vet for reentry back into Mexico and I have never been stopped as long as I have a health cert paper within the last 2 weeks.