Pet bird

All subjects that don't fit in the previous categories, including recipes, moving to PV, off the beaten path trips, cultural and non-profit and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

deollafan
PV Fan
PV Fan
Pet bird

Post by deollafan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:07 pm

Does anyone know the requirements for bringing a pet bird to stay? He's legal with the metal band around his claw. He's a dusky-headed conure. What about having him shipped? Thanks!

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Start with the bird

Post by oneistwo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:20 am

I'll go out on a limb here, since I don't know the direct answer to your question. I would think the place to start is info on what are the risks to the bird in traveling? My recollection is they're far more delicate than mammals.

Also, some species of conures are native to Mexico. You said "to stay," but for how long? The problem might be bringing the bird back. I'd check the customs regulations.

deollafan
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by deollafan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:38 pm

Let me clarify a bit of my original post. I'm planning to retire to Vallarta and live full-time starting next year. As far as moving the bird, I know there are requirements for animals traveling by air. I also considered (though I would do this as a last resort) driving down with him in his container. I also know that it's fairly simple to bring my dog down. I was concerned that there were more stringent rules for importing pet birds into Mexico. I'm assuming he's already been shipped from somewhere, since I bought him in Texas six years ago and his armband states he was hatched in Florida.