(Whole Red Snapper in Vera Cruz Sauce

All subjects that don't fit in the previous categories, including recipes, moving to PV, off the beaten path trips, cultural and non-profit and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

tgammon
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
(Whole Red Snapper in Vera Cruz Sauce

Post by tgammon » Fri May 28, 2004 2:43 pm

I made a version of this last week after fishing on the Vanessa...we brought them back to our place at Paraside Village and grilled them...I couldn't remember everything in the sauce, but I came close...using fish that fresh...this recipe was unbelievable!

Huachinango ala Veracruzana
2 whole red snappers (approximately 1 pound each)
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp black pepper (more if you like pepper)
1/2 cup tequila
about 1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Recipe assumes fish have already been gutted and cleaned. Wash fish and make 3 score cuts on one side of sifeh. Combine oil, tequila, pepper and cilantro to make marinade. Rub marinade onto and inside fish and let it sit for 15 to 30 minutes. (refrigerated)
On a very hot grill, sear fish on both sides (about 3 minutes per side) (As an option you can deep fry approximately 5 minutes, fish needs to be fully submerged in oil)

After fish is grilled, place in pan or casserole dish and cover with the Vera Cruz salsa. Bake in preheated oven at 450 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. Serve with limes on the side.

Vera Cruz Salsa
1 med. onion chopped
4 cloves garlic chopped
35 oz can of whole tomatoes (Plum tomatoes if you can get)
1 tablespoon capers
12 large green olives (pitted and cut into rings)
1 tsp. dried Oregano (Mexican preferably)
a couple of bay leaves
I use pickled jalapenos in this because I use the juice too, but you can use fresh, you might have to use less...1 picked jalapeno, chopped and 1 tablespoon jalapeno juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
recipe calls for 1 roasted Poblano pepper, peeled, seeded, and julienne cut...if I have it at home, I use, if not I just add more jalapeno or whatever I have on hand, or a little dried pepper to taste...
1 roasted red pepper (I used roasted pepper in a jar...much easier)
3 tbls. chicken stock...use water if you don't have
salt and fresh pepper to taste
In a hot saute pan add oil, and saute onion and garlic for about 2 minutes...add chicken stock or water..once onions are tender add the rest of the ingredients except the roasted red pepper..cook until it starts to thicken. As an option, yu can add 1/2 cup of dry white win and cook for another 2 minutes or so...add roasted peppers at the end and cook for 1 minute more...

When fish comes out of oven, can be garnished with chopped cilantro, and serve on platter with limes all around. Add some rice and you have a great meal...can serve 3 to 4, or 2 very hungry people!

tgammon
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: Whole Red Snapper in Vera Cruz Sauce

Post by tgammon » Fri May 28, 2004 2:46 pm

That's Paradise Village...didn't do a very good spell check I guess...at least I didn't type Parasite!

: P