Pozole

All subjects that don't fit in the previous categories, including recipes, moving to PV, off the beaten path trips, cultural and non-profit and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Charlieb
Pozole

Post by Charlieb » Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:31 pm

I could sure use a recipe for Pazole. Thanks!

tgammon
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re:Pozole

Post by tgammon » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:01 pm

Charlieb (Jun 19, 2004 01:31 p.m.):
I could sure use a recipe for Pazole. Thanks!
Posole

2 pounds pork, either pork roast or loin, cubed in bite-size pieces
2 small to medium onions, chopped
1 tablespoon, or maybe 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano (to taste)
about 4 dried chiles (I use a combination of 2 large ancho and maybe a pasilla or New Mexican, whatever I have on hand, or all ancho...if you can't get chiles, you can substitute 3 to 4 tablespoons of chili powder..but it's not as good
2 15 oz. or so cans hominy, drained
1 can rotel tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Break open the chilies and remove the seeds and veins. Put the chiles to cook in a medium sized pot. Cover with fresh water and gently boil until chilies are very soft. Let the mixture cool. Blend the chiles and the water to make a paste and strain if you want...I usually don't...

Meanwhile, put the cubed pork, oregano, garlic, onion, rotel tomatoes and salt into a large heavy pot and cover with water. Simmer meat gently for 30 to 45 minutes. When the meat is soft, add the chiles and hominy and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until the mixture is boiling nicely.

To serve, ladle the pooled into heavy bowls and serve with traditional accompaniments like thinly sliced cabbage or radishes, quartered limes, oregano, chopped onion, and fresh corn tortillas. I also like cubed up avocado, cilantro and Mexican crema on mine. And of course...plenty of cerveza!

Charlieb

Post by Charlieb » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:29 am

Thank you very much, Tag. We went to Safeway tonight and got the stuff. Tomorrow night is PAZOLE NIGHT!!!

manfred from ottawa/ca

Post by manfred from ottawa/ca » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:53 pm

please tell me what is hominy????i have no idea??

tgammon
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by tgammon » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:19 pm

manfred from ottawa/canada (Jun 21, 2004 09:53 a.m.):
please tell me what is hominy????i have no idea??
Basically hominy is hulled corn that is soaked in a lime (not the fruit the mineral) water solution...and technically REAL pozole is made with the dried white corn that you soak overnight, then change water and add lime and cook again so the hulls pop and you remove them and it takes about 2 extra days to make Pozole...bottom line, there isn't that much difference taste in just buying a can of it...but you get to eat it a lot sooner...

However, Charlie...pozole is better the next day so make extras...

Cans of hominy are normally sold in the mid-south and southern states...I had it a lot growing up in Oklahoma, but I an even get it in Minnesota...don't know if they sell it in Canada though...