Black Beans with Cotija

All subjects that don't fit in the previous categories, including recipes, moving to PV, off the beaten path trips, cultural and non-profit and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

tgammon
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Black Beans with Cotija

Post by tgammon » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:11 pm

Cotija is that very dry and crumbly Mexican cheese. It's a salty cheese, so don't use too much salt when you make the beans.
The recipe says not to cook til the beans get mushy...but I kind of like them mushy myself!
Serves: 6 to 8

i n g r e d i e n t s
2 cups dried black beans (or two 16-ounce cans black beans with their liquid)
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 white onions, chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
About 4 cups unsalted chicken stock or water (or use some of each)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3 ounces cotija cheese, crumbled (or use feta if you can't find cotija)
2 medium tomatoes, chopped, for garnish
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish

d i r e c t i o n s
The day before serving, place the beans in a large pot and add water to extend 3 inches above the beans. Soak overnight. (Or if you forget to soak the beans the night before, place them in a large pot and cover with water 3 inches above the beans. Bring to a boil and immediately turn off the heat. Cover and let sit for about 1 1/2 hours.) Pour the beans into a colander and drain off the soaking liquid.

In the same pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the cumin and stir to coat the onions. Let cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly so the cumin will not burn. Add the beans and cover with the stock. Bring to a boil and skim off the foam from the beans. Partially cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer gently until the beans are cooked through but not mushy, about 1 hour. For a thicker consistency, remove the cover and boil some of the liquid away. Using a slotted spoon, scoop up the beans and place them in a shallow bowl. Sprinkle with the cheese, and then garnish with the tomato and cilantro. Serve immediately.