Bus travel for long distance

Travel to and from: airfares, cruises, etc. + local transport: taxi, bus, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

CanadaKitten
Bus travel for long distance

Post by CanadaKitten » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:59 pm

Is there a web site for the bus station in PVR......... I ran in last time just to see where they head to but am really interested in doing that one time......... Crazy Trazy!!! But I am serious...... bus station web site and in english would be nice!!!

Gracias
Salud!

Slippery.pete

Re:Bus travel for long distance

Post by Slippery.pete » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:44 am

Depends on where you want to go i guess. Mexico city, Guadalajara, Tepic, Mazatlan etc. the busses are great with movies, air, etc. different prices for different class of bus.

Slippery.pete

Post by Slippery.pete » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:45 am

Slippery.pete (Sep 01, 2004 09:44 p.m.):
Depends on where you want to go i guess. Mexico city, Guadalajara, Tepic, Mazatlan etc. the busses are great with movies, air, etc. different prices for different class of bus.
sorry, dont have address.

Slippery.pete

Post by Slippery.pete » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:46 am

Slippery.pete (Sep 01, 2004 09:44 p.m.):
sorry, dont have address.

Slippery.pete

Post by Slippery.pete » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:47 am

bzy1inpv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by bzy1inpv » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:24 am

Hi Tracy,
The central bus station does not have a website, but many of the bus lines that travel to and from do have sites.
A few of the better buslines are ETN and Primera Plus. There are others like Tap, Futura and Pacifico. (and more that I cannot remember the names of)

For the most part, these buses primarily travel to smaller towns in the vicinity, and larger cities like Mexico D.F., Guadalajara, Guanajuato, Barra de Navidid, Auguascalientes, Tepic and Leon.

If you wanted to travel by bus to Oaxaca, you would have to travel first to Mexico D.F. then take a different bus to Oaxaca. Same with places like Ixtapa/Zihua, Acapulco and so forth. Planning an itinerary to do long range travel via bus through many regions of Mexico takes a lot of searching, but can be done....but if you want to head to some place like Guanajuato, you can get there in under 10 hours direct from Vallarta.

It's kind of like airports, they don't list every carrier and all their destinations, you have to find a carrier, locate their destinations and find their departures, etc.

Go to www.etn.com.mx (which is finally working!) and select Destinos, and departure point. You can see the destinations. So select Vallarta as origin and it gives you destinations and departure times. If you go back,(do not use your browser, click on the blinking Atras at the top) and select a major city, like Mexico Norte, you can see what other cities you can go to from there on ETN. Granted, from Mexico D.F, you can take a different bus line that has other destination options.

This link has a bunch of information regarding bus lines throughout much of Mexico. It is in Spanish, but easy to navigate for the most part. http://directorio.com.mx/autobuses/

This is a link to the Central Bus station in Mexico D.F
http://www.centraldelnorte.com.mx/

A starting point to see all the bus lines that travel to and from MX D.F. Click on the different lines on the left and see where they take you. Some provide hours and rates as well.

And this link is for Estrella Blanca/Elite which also works with Greyhound and does combined tickets for Mexico/US travel.
http://www.estrellablanca.com.mx:8080/e ... /index.jsp The only problem is sometimes the site works and sometimes it does not :) Estrella Blanca/Autobuses Americanos go back and forth to places like L.A., Denver, Austin TX, Chicago, Phoenix and more...so you could travel for days on buses if you wanted to!

Happy travels!

matt
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by matt » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:23 pm

Here is a website that is more intended for travel from PV to areas south, like Barra de Navidad and Manzanillo. There is some useful busing info collected here no matter which direction you decide to travel. There is also a layout map of the PV bus station there.
http://www.costalegre.ca/Busing_PV.htm
I prefer the ETN bus line for travel. Their website is at: http://www.etn.com.mx/

If you wanted to visit someplace like Guadalajara, you could consider basing your travels there and then going to Puerto Vallarta during the middle segment of your vacation. You would probably want to stay in Guadalajara during the first and last part, because it wouldn't be very fun to get off of an airplane flight in Guadalajara and then go on a 5-hour bus ride to PV (and vice-versa). We live in Atlanta, and for us the flights to Guadalajara are usually much less expensive than those to PV. But, as most of my wife's family lives in Guadalajara, we have other motives for going there first.

Stew

Post by Stew » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:10 am

One of my nicest experiences was taking the bus from PV to Zihuatanejo. You can go direct, but it's 12 hours (Leave PV 1:00 PM arrive Zihua 1:00 AM & the most senic part will be at night. I stopped one night each at Melaque (Like PV 60 years ago), Manzanillo (The Posada hotel is great) , then I took a local second class bus to Lazaro Cardenas (not a tourist destanation),but the day was incredible. People of all types got on & off the bus, carprnters, school kids, mothers, Mariachi bands, tradesman, sales people. Some went a distance, some went just down the road. You go by dozenz of incredible beachs & lovelt little villages. I was the only gringo on the bus & the only person who went all the way. Such a wonderful day! If any one wants details email me. Stew