Connecting in MEX (Mexico City AIrport)

Travel to and from: airfares, cruises, etc. + local transport: taxi, bus, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

ticu
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Connecting in MEX (Mexico City AIrport)

Post by ticu » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:36 am

Anyone recently going to PVR connected through Mexico City? Any tips regarding the transfer from US Airways to Aeromexico much appreciated.... Thanks

JROJEFF
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by JROJEFF » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:02 am

It has been awile since I connected in mexico city but I remeber having to hurry . I had to go from one end of the airport to the other with only a short amount of time. I remeber the signs all seemed to be in spanish. I take direct flights from now on. Good luck-jeff

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:20 pm

I have connected from Mexico City a couple of times. Just make your way to Sala B and once you find that you should be ok. It is well marked with overhead signs. All domestic flights depart from there as far as I could tell.

ticu
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by ticu » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:52 pm

thx jeff andd ellen

JROJEFF
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by JROJEFF » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:31 pm

I found it easiest just to follow another pv veteren thru the airport.

ticu
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by ticu » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:15 pm

Came back on Jan 3 from PV. Man, this airport just sucks..it's miles long and unproperly signed...not too hard to lose a connection...

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:40 am

ticu wrote:Came back on Jan 3 from PV. Man, this airport just sucks..it's miles long and unproperly signed...not too hard to lose a connection...
I assume you're referring to the airport in Mexico City? I agree with you, that's why I said to make your way to Sala B. Once you have that figured out it's not too bad.

ticu
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by ticu » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:21 pm

Right, it's Mexico City. The problem would not be to go from one end to another (even if the distance is pretty big), but as you walk out of the plane you find yourself like in an unknown mall, not knowing where to go to. Usually the North American airports have a designated path for arriving passengers so you just follow the crowd until you get through all the check points , etc.
In MEX you can spend days and you won't bother anyone - just like in a mall - and need to investigate yourself where you want to go (checking the display pannels which refresh very slowly- if they work..., or looking for information desks that are pretyy frequent but of not to much help)..
When coming back they changed our flight from Gate 25 to Gate 32 but no announcement was made until very late, etc....
Bottom line: expect hassel if you connect in Mexico City...or leave you planty of time betwen flights (which is rarely possible)...

kagnew64
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Mexico City Airport

Post by kagnew64 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:44 pm

Sorry for the late post but completly agree with Ellen. Two years ago
Spring Break was the only time the wife and I could get away. The only
decent price was AA from OKC-DFW-MEX-PVR. We had never been to
MEX but we had a 2 hour layover and though we would have fun. Not so.
The wife likes to find our departure gate immediately; find the nearest
banos; then read and wait for departure.
We finally found an Aeromex. employee that spoke Spanglish and he
directed us to Immigration( we had walked past it twice) and then to
Salon B. We sat for and hour before they announced our flight for PVR.
The flight was fully booked with Spring Breakers and I wondered if we
ever depart. Departed MEX on time and arrived PVR on time. Good
flight. Just remember to sit in the Salon closest to the airline you are
departing on. Gate will be announced about one hour before departure.

misstiffanyann
PV Fan
PV Fan

LAYOVER IN MEX

Post by misstiffanyann » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:29 pm

OK I'm reading all these posts and starting to get nervous about my layover in MEX, which we have twice!! once on way there and once on way back :( Any more advice would be GREAT! Speak little to no spanish and am a first timer

Big Brian
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Big Brian » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:20 pm

Now I am getting a bit nervous too. I am returning from PVR on Mexicana, never flown with them before, and have a 2 hour layover in Mex. City. Any good tips for connecting and any info on Mexicana. Also do I go through customs there before I get to the US or when I get to vegas?

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:37 pm

Big Brian wrote:Now I am getting a bit nervous too. I am returning from PVR on Mexicana, never flown with them before, and have a 2 hour layover in Mex. City. Any good tips for connecting and any info on Mexicana. Also do I go through customs there before I get to the US or when I get to vegas?
Here's a tip...find your luggage fast and don't miss that connector!! (Assuming you have to manage your luggage yourself, as we did) I had the worst experience of my traveling life in Mexico City's airport. We arrived in Mex. from PV circa 2:30 p.m. and didn't find our luggage until 10:30 p.m.!!! That WHOLE time was spent walking back and forth asking/phoning/asking/walking...arrgghh...

Slippery shoes on polished floors....*sigh*

Did I mention Air Canada SUCKS!!!!!!

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:15 pm

Big Brian wrote:Now I am getting a bit nervous too. I am returning from PVR on Mexicana, never flown with them before, and have a 2 hour layover in Mex. City. Any good tips for connecting and any info on Mexicana. Also do I go through customs there before I get to the US or when I get to vegas?
You go through customs in the US. Darryl's experience notwithstanding, it's not something to get all upset over. Your ticket will tell you what "sala" you have to go to and the signs to the various salas are overhead. If I can do it all by myself, believe me - anybody can do it.