Air Canada Nonsense

Travel to and from: airfares, cruises, etc. + local transport: taxi, bus, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God
Air Canada Nonsense

Post by smitty » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:25 pm

Air Canada to charge for customer service

Airline adds fee to aid customers when flights delayed or disrupted due to weather, traffic

Apr 03, 2008 04:30 AM
Chris Sorensen
Business Reporter

It was bound to happen eventually: Air Canada now wants you to pay extra for better customer service.

In an era of continued cost-cutting, the country's largest airline yesterday rolled out a new service called "On My Way" that, for a fee, promises to help passengers cope with delays and cancellations beyond the airline's control, including bad weather or airport traffic.

"This is something that many airlines used to do in-house," said Rick Erickson, a Calgary-based airline consultant. "But since the advent of the low-cost carrier, everybody wants cheap fares."

Air Canada said passengers who opt to pay an additional $25 one-way on short-haul flights and an extra $35 one-way on long-haul routes within North America will receive "speedy" access to "specially-trained" customer service agents who will help rebook flights on Air Canada or other airlines, as well as pay for hotel stays and meals, if necessary.

Air Canada said the program, which applies to any flight cancelled within 48 hours of the scheduled departure, goes beyond the industry practice of assisting customers affected by schedule changes deemed to be the airline's fault, such as mechanical problems with aircraft, scheduling glitches or crew members failing to show up for flights.

But while Air Canada is touting the program as an industry-first, at least one observer said it was once common for big North American carriers to go out of their way to help inconvenienced or stranded customers – free.

Erickson said Air Canada's latest effort could prove popular given Canada's unpredictable winter weather, particularly at the country's largest airport in Toronto, where thousands of flights can be disrupted by a snowstorm.

However, Erickson cautioned that Air Canada will need to ensure customers who pay extra get their money's worth.

"When there's a disruption, everyone's going to be calling at the same time," he said. "And if you can't deliver on this, there will be real hell to pay as far as public relations go.

"People are going to have heightened expectations."

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:43 pm

Absolutely ridiculous but nothing less than I have come to expect from them. They are the most expensive and last carrier I would choose.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Jennybean » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:41 pm

I'm with you Ellen. They are the worst carrier I've ever had the displeasure of flying...I'd rather walk to my destination than fly them ever again.

Pretty arrogant of an airline that's been bailed out twice by the government after fiscal mismanagement (while their CEO continued to collect a multimillion dollar salary and bonuses) to expect people to pay more for what is in essence customer service they should have been providing anyways included in their exorbitant fares. This must be their proposed answer to their useless Complaints Department.

:?

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:05 am

They aren't nicknamed Scare Canada for nothing.... the problem is that every once in a while you get on one of their flights and everything goes so great.... extra friendly check in person, beautiful clean plane, great inflight movie with good headphones, wonderful host or hostess that actually make you laugh... right on time flight..... absolutely perfect in everything.... and then you can't find your luggage.

They deliver it next morning to your hotel. :lol:

Sounds to me like this extra charge is the equivalent of a 'tip' to ensure service.... it's like going to a public bathroom, looking into the stall and observing that there is some tissue hanging from that covered metal container, but then having the washroom attendant ask you to insure your visit by paying him an upfront fee just in case there's not enough paper.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Jennybean » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:58 am

right on time flight..... absolutely perfect in everything.... and then you can't find your luggage.

They deliver it next morning to your hotel.
You got your luggage? Lucky bastid...6 years later I'm still waiting for them to find one of my suitcases. :lol:

Only carrier I have ever flown who has lost luggage...and I've flown what are considered some dicey carriers before. When I reported it they all but said "so what? it's not like we crashed the plane and killed you."

Stellar customer service, that. :shock: And people wonder why WestJet is making money hand over fist...

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:29 am

is air canada worse than america west ?.....that would be impressive.

wills
PV Fan
PV Fan

Air Canada nonsense

Post by wills » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:41 am

Air Canada is innovative in at least one way; they seem to continually come up with ways to show their undisguised seething contempt for the customer. We had the misfortune to fly AC (for the first time in ages) last year when our local travel agency booked our cruise group's flights from Vancouver to L.A. We most certainly would have flown Alaska Air if we had made our own arrangements. AC wanted to charge us two dollars for the use of a small neck pillow. Try reaching them by phone to speak with an actual person that can provide you with information. The complete polar opposite is Calgary-based Westjet. Fun, customer service oriented people; with whom it is a pleasure to fly. AC couldn't make it when they were a taxpayer subsidized crown corporation with virtually no competition. Air travel is like going down the street on a bus; you get on the bus, you travel a distance, you get off the bus. I don't board seeking fine cuisine or entertainment. I do however expect to be greeted and treated with courtesy and respect. Avoid flying with Air Canada whenever you can.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:38 am

Air travel is like going down the street on a bus; you get on the bus, you travel a distance, you get off the bus
Yeah, but with Air Canada, you may not get to get off on your street.

We sent our youth to Ottawa for a youth meeting in February and her return flight was Ottawa-Toronto-Saskatoon on a Sunday night... Well the weather was bad so they diverted to Regina... Let them off there with no backup plan.... They did not offer a bus ticket, hotel,...nada....

They were told all this before deplaneing and when she along with a few others complained, they told them to stay on the plane and they would take them back to Toronto instead. Then they could wait around the airport until another flight took them back to Saskatoon, (possibly the next day). Some choice eh! She had planned to drive home from Saskatoon that night so that she could attend school the next morning. She had to figure out how to get from Regina to Saskatoon to pick up her vehicle on her own... This when their plane landed at almost midnight. Can you imagine what can happen to a young girl in a strange city?

I think some of their problems are caused by Toronto's Pearson Airport... Transfering thru that place with luggage is a gamble in itself. We waited in Moncton New Brunswick for two days for our luggage once.. When they brought it, one of them was totally duct taped up and looked like it went through a garburator.. It literally fell apart when we opened up.... had to buy new luggage to get home... Ironically, nothing was missing..Go Figure!

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Jennybean » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:55 pm

is air canada worse than america west ?.....that would be impressive.
I have flown 4 times with USairways/AW and never so much as a delay, let alone a problem (flying them again this fall). They even took me on a flight without hesitation or question when Alaska cancelled mine and couldn't rebook me - honoured my original reservation, no extra fees or charges, and even bumped me to business class on my second leg for free.

AC I've flown twice and will never do it again. As noted, I'd rather walk to my destination than be subjected to that farce of an airline ever again. If WestJet didn't exist I would imagine most of us up here would never fly at all within our own country anymore. :lol:
Air Canada is innovative in at least one way; they seem to continually come up with ways to show their undisguised seething contempt for the customer.
Dead honest truth there.

Tom1
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Tom1 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:45 pm

We’re flying to Mexico in May and my travel agent strongly recommended that we go by Air Transat (a Canadian charter company) rather than Air Canada, for the same price – according to her, their planes are more modern, they have a better on time record, they lose less baggage and they give you some food (not great, but better than nothing on Air Canada). That said, in my experience I don’t see a lot of difference between AC and a lot of US airlines whose service has also evaporated over the last 10 years or so. I fly abroad a good deal and know that Qantas, Air France, Swiss and some other airlines are MUCH better than AC (& United, American, …

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:09 pm

If it comes to this and AC does not join in I may fly with them :)
Standing Room only..

It's old news that airlines are packing more rows in coach while upping the pamper quotient in business and first classes. However, this New York Times article caused a shudder of amazement even in such a jaded and shriveled heart as mine. Airbus is pitching the idea of strapping standing passengers to padded backboards instead of seats, thus increasing total passenger capacity. Doesn't that above graphic look comfy? Just think of yourself as a slab of compliant meat with a wallet, and you'll approximate the Airbus vision of the perfect passenger. :shock: :D

Tom1 we have flown with Air Transat several times...No complaints...
One of my sons's works for West Jet..They not only treat their passengers right but employees are happy to work for them...

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:35 pm

For the past two years we, too, have flown USAirways out of the US. We decided to drive to a destination in the states and go from there rather than try Air Canada or one of the charters out of Canada. It means that we have to extend our vacation by a few days - but we're not complaining! :) Even with the extra mileage and hotel we are happier travelling this way. We haven't had any problems at all so far and will plan next years vacation the same way.

Sherry

chance
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Air Canada

Post by chance » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:33 pm

Well I have been sitting back on this one. I guess it is the luck of the draw the last five times down have been with AC and yet to have had a problem (knock on wood). Cant say its not going to happen even the last two times down the flight was early getting in to PV and into Calgary. The flight crew was nice and pleasent luggage arrived with us but they are direct flights. On a other note West Jet will be going direct into PV in the future but no time table has been set for this to happen and then we will fly with them. SKYSERVICE and definite NO lost my luggage showed up on day 6 of a 7 day trip with out a word. Made some phone calls wrote a few letters and nothing. Like I said lucky I guess. I look on the bright side
rather be there than here. 8)

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:40 pm

The airline has a bad name for some very good reasons.... but occasionally they do go that extra mile.... Now I did all my bitchin on a previous post... now for something nice.

My 18 year old daughter and her friends did a Caribbean cruise a couple of weeks ago, which included flying into Houston, to catch the boat in Galveston. On the way to the Edmonton Airport they rolled their car, got a little/lot scratched up but kept on going and got to the airport late. She missed the flight. The lady at the Air Canada desk went through hell, arranged for her to get on a later flight out (red eye to Toronto), then switch to the early a.m. (6:00 a.m.) flight to Houston... she got to Houston on time to catch the 11:00 a.m. bus to Galveston.. Vacation saved.... thanks to a nice counter lady at Air Canada. What can I say?

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:02 am

I'm going to be very brief here, rather than my usual long-winded self. AIR CANADA SUCKS. I'd rather walk to PV than fly with them.
I could write a book about why...but won't.

chance
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Another AC blunder

Post by chance » Mon May 19, 2008 7:27 am

Well we just got back last week. I know that this post is some what old but I am bringing it back up. We flew AC direct Calgary to PV, half hour late leaving due to a medical emergency on another flight and we weren’t allowed to push out. No problem its not there fault. In the end we were 15 minutes early in arrival to PV no complaints. Opps spoke to soon where do they get these flight attendants’ miserable unkind surly its like we were doing them a disfavor by even flying. By the way you have to buy you food now no freebie’s no more other than snacks. One trip of the drink cart and that was it you want more go back and get it because they are not coming to you. Rang the attendant bell she came and we asked for drinks brought us are drinks but that was it she told us after that go back to them “quote If you require more refreshment please come to the back I am not a waitress un Quote” Smile honey I’ll pay for the stitches what a piece of work she was. Then I said thank you at PV nothing not even a smile. I felt for the people on the return that got her.

I don’t know about AC in PV but I will tell you this part too. They check are bags at check in then put a zip tie on them then you go to the counter and check in 3 LBS over weight no problem I know what weighs more than 3 pounds I’ll just take it out and put in on my carry on. Wrong answer it has been sealed by security I cant go back into the bag.
3 pounds over weight 75US dollars. I just smiled and he pointed me where to go and pay.
What do you do I just got screwed and had to pay for it to then smile through it all.

Almost finished ranting one more bit#!, we are going back again in Oct and Nov I booked the flight at the beginning of April $1029.oo tax in the same flight same time this morning is $1468.oo Tax in 439 difference I think there is a little more in there than a 85 dollar fuel surcharge. Next time I hope West Jet is flying in to PV or its going to be Mexicana and change in Mexico City.
Thank You Air Canada there new mot o should be WE AREN’T HAPPY UNTIL YOU ARE UNHAPPY

Regards
Chance

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Mon May 19, 2008 8:58 am

Unbelievable! After years of being referred to as sky waitresses I guess they're getting their backs up - as if being a watiress is something to be ashamed of - not! Anyway, try Mexicana - they're head and shoulders over A.C.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Re: Air Canada

Post by travelbug_jp » Mon May 19, 2008 10:48 am

chance wrote:Well I have been sitting back on this one. I guess it is the luck of the draw the last five times down have been with AC and yet to have had a problem (knock on wood). Cant say its not going to happen even the last two times down the flight was early getting in to PV and into Calgary. The flight crew was nice and pleasent luggage arrived with us but they are direct flights. On a other note West Jet will be going direct into PV in the future but no time table has been set for this to happen and then we will fly with them. SKYSERVICE and definite NO lost my luggage showed up on day 6 of a 7 day trip with out a word. Made some phone calls wrote a few letters and nothing. Like I said lucky I guess. I look on the bright side
rather be there than here. 8)
If we all get on an emailing blitz to West Jet and plead for service to PV perhaps they will change their mind. I contacted West Jet and inquired as to any possibility of flights from Wpg. to PV in the near future and this was the response I received.

Quote: When we decide to offer a service, we first conduct a market analysis to determine the demand for a specific route and create our schedule based on the gathered data and the availability of our aircraft. It was determined at this time that we simply can not operate non-stop flights between Winnipeg and Puerto Vallarta.

As a public company responsible to our shareholders, employees, and the Canadian travelling public, WestJet constantly adapts to make the right choice to ensure our immediate and future success. We will continue to monitor the demand for this service, and if demand increase, we certainly will reconsider adding a non-stop flight from Winnipeg to Puerto Vallarta.

We value feedback such as yours for it allows us to see what our guests would like to see from us. I will share your email with our Marketing Team for their information. I hope one day soon we are able to welcome you onboard a Winnipeg Puerto Vallarta."

Joyce

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Mon May 19, 2008 2:41 pm

I absolutely love Westjet, but the above post with Westjet's answer says it all. Westjet is only providing service on those routes that they know will make them a profit... Air Canada has to provide route services to all kinds of little piddly places that no other airline would go into.

Usually Westjet is comparably or even lower in price. We're flying to Ottawa tomorrow morning. Westjet price was $1246.70 pp and Air Canada was $774.23 .. Air Canada runs those little jets out here vs the Westjet 737, but for almost $500 per person difference, I can live with AC. with the transfer in Toronto.

I'm taking bets on where they lose my luggage though.

waarce
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by waarce » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:17 pm

Plus4 wrote:If it comes to this and AC does not join in I may fly with them :)
Standing Room only..

It's old news that airlines are packing more rows in coach while upping the pamper quotient in business and first classes. However, this New York Times article caused a shudder of amazement even in such a jaded and shriveled heart as mine. Airbus is pitching the idea of strapping standing passengers to padded backboards instead of seats, thus increasing total passenger capacity. Doesn't that above graphic look comfy? Just think of yourself as a slab of compliant meat with a wallet, and you'll approximate the Airbus vision of the perfect passenger. :shock: :D

Some people are so cheap that they are willing to consider this proposed option in order to save a buck or two.

Tom1 we have flown with Air Transat several times...No complaints...
One of my sons's works for West Jet..They not only treat their passengers right but employees are happy to work for them...