Airline travel is cheap - oh and another thing

Travel to and from: airfares, cruises, etc. + local transport: taxi, bus, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

lanhawk
PV Fan
PV Fan
Airline travel is cheap - oh and another thing

Post by lanhawk » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:41 pm

I know times are bad but I just had to report that my daughter booked a flight for the first week of April - Round trip for 329 including tax.! That is the cheapest I have seen travel from Chicago/Ohare to PVR in years. She flys -non stop down there but has to change planes in Dallas for the homebound trip. Anybody else getting great deals? :lol:

lanhawk
PV Fan
PV Fan

The other thing

Post by lanhawk » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:50 pm

I was wondering what are some of the tricks people here have used to get a cheaper rate on the price of airline tickets. We purchased two tickets to pvr in november 08 for this year and with the price of gas dropping now the price of tickets has also dropped. We called the first time to the AA-reservation but the person would not adjust the price to the current level . We called a second time and the person was kind enough to send us 50 dollar vouchers for the difference - (minus 150 bucks per ticket). Should we have pushed harder for the difference or used some other tactic?

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:32 am

Most airlines will adjust the price if the price goes down after you book. Did you ask to speak to a customer service supervisor?

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:08 pm

you should be able to get the full difference in price with a voucher. keep calling until you get the answer you're looking for...

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:11 pm

Alaska is running a mid-week sale. Just for fun :D I put in a week in mid-March Tues to Tues. $294.00 from LAX. You know what I'm thinkin'.

bvopcheryl
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by bvopcheryl » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:58 pm

We just booked tickets from Seattle for May 2-9 for 349.00 on American. I think that is the least expensive tickets we have ever bought!! We have to stop in Dallas both directions but for the price who cares! :lol:

ajstanger
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by ajstanger » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:39 pm

We had booked about a month or so ago for a trip from Detroit to PV Monday after Easter for 10 days. I went through United direct (online) because at the time $400.00 round trip was way better then I could get anywhere else (without having terrible filght times or spending a night in an airport). We leave around 8 AM with a quick stop off in Chicago. We arrive in PV at 2:45 PM. When we leave PV it is around 3 PM and another stop into Chicago before getting home. So our flight times are decent. I check the same flights periodically to see when the fares are going. At one time the exact same flights were up to $800.00 ea (double). It has only gotten as close as $600.00 ea so i feel like we did good. There was a red mark on my itinerary (online) so i called UA and they gal told me that everything was still the same but they went to a larger plane for the Chicago to Detroit flight. When she saw what I paid for our trip she said "WOW!" It turns out they only offered that price for an hour before they realized that their deal was too cheap and they pulled it.

I did see online one time that it was possible to find "mistakes" in airfare that have to be honored if you book it at the time it is offered. I think that is what I found.
I looked last night at the flights and the PV to Chicago flight is booked solid with no seats available. The trip to PV from Chicago has 3 seats left.

I have found that the best (cheapest) days to travel are Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. The published airfares online usually "adjust" on Thursdays at midnight. So check all the search engine results after that.

Best thing to do is take notes of when you found a price (day & time) and check it 3 times a day. You will find when is the best time.

Last minute deals aren't too bad either. You can get one on Funjet for $199.00 or $249.00 (+ tax) if you want to gamble and get a last minute flight.

Adios,
T.

pdxbuff
PV Guru
PV Guru

Thanks for the heads up concerning air fares.

Post by pdxbuff » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:13 am

i usually book early (6 months in advance) knowing all to well that times seats, and flights may change but that is always a risk. I checked my fares next May via US AIR today and they are still the same. Change of planes and customs are done in Phoenix rather than LAX which is a plus. They have dogs that sniff you so you dopers watch out! I also read recently that US AIR discontinued charging for soft drinks, water, coffee, ? How nice of them.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:14 am

I go on line to sell off vacations ..Get their Great lowest price :) take it to a local travel agent and ask if they can beat the price...They can and have... :-)4

marcos
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Not cheap from Cincinnati

Post by marcos » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:35 pm

Fares from Cincinnati to PV for January 2010 are through the roof ... over $800 per ticket. Prices from Dayton, Louisville, and Columbus are cheaper but only by about $100 or so.

We're going to have to drive to Indianapolis for an early morning flight but the cost per ticket is $517.

Chevy Man
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Tickets

Post by Chevy Man » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:46 pm

Nine months ahead of time seems a bit much. I'm sure they will drop before then. Just got back 0n 2-20 and did not book it until the last week of December. We plan on going back next January and I don't expect to book any earlier than late October. We fly out of Detroit, don't know if that makes a difference or not. We always get direct flights.

GreatOwl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by GreatOwl » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:53 pm

I don't know about booking later.... We booked a couple of months ago for our trip in late January '10. The price ended up at around $ 400. Normally for us to fly from Northern Wisconsin it is around $900.

True, we are going to be taking an air tour of the USA and Mexico to get there but the price is something I doubt will be lower later in the year. I just checked and all airlines now have prices at mid $800's for us and that is with 3 stops. Some more.

I wish there were an easier way of getting to PVR, but it doesn't seem likely to be in the near or distant future.

Chevy Man
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Traveling

Post by Chevy Man » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:38 pm

Hey Great Owl, hope your luggage gets there! I don't know what my cost limit is for deciding between non stop and extra stops, but I haven't hit it yet! Out of Detroit, they want to fly me to Denver first before going to PV. Not gonna happen. You gotta get me there on one plane! :lol:

GreatOwl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: Traveling

Post by GreatOwl » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:50 pm

Chevy Man wrote:Hey Great Owl, hope your luggage gets there! I don't know what my cost limit is for deciding between non stop and extra stops, but I haven't hit it yet! Out of Detroit, they want to fly me to Denver first before going to PV. Not gonna happen. You gotta get me there on one plane! :lol:
Well good luck.. I just ran an inquiry through Kayak.com and every flight in January seems to have at least one stop going down no matter which airline is used. Coming back you at least have a choice of several that are direct.

Your prices still look pretty good also.