Trouble With Plane Connections?????

Travel to and from: airfares, cruises, etc. + local transport: taxi, bus, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

GreatOwl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Trouble With Plane Connections?????

Post by GreatOwl » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:10 pm

Is anyone else experiencing Air flight connection difficulties? We made reservations several months ago for our annual trip which will be at the end of Jan 2010 this time. While it wasn't ideal we did manage to book flights from Northern Wisconsin through Atlanta and then to PVR.

We have just gotten an update which now routes us through Minneapolis (which is good for us) but the return trip leaves us with a 12 hour lay over in Atlanta before routing us to Minneapolis and then back to Wisconsin.

In checking what is happening to flight now headed to PVR we are finding that most are criss crossing all over the USA or even Mexico before getting to PVR. I am afraid that by the time our vacation comes it is going to take two days to fly down and two days to return.

Is the PVR airport discontinuing that many flights?????? I had read somewhere a week or so ago that there was a complete shakeup of the customs staffing. Is this affecting how many flights they can handle.

I love PVR and would hate to have to book somewhere else, but it is not looking good for future vacations there.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:32 am

GreatOwl,

What airport are you flying out of? Not that it will do you any good if your reservations are already made, but I usually use Kayak.com to find flights/times and then I go to the airlines or other sites and check for prices. You can't book from Kayak directly but they give you the major airlines flight times and current prices.

GreatOwl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by GreatOwl » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:21 am

katnsocal wrote:GreatOwl,

What airport are you flying out of? Not that it will do you any good if your reservations are already made, but I usually use Kayak.com to find flights/times and then I go to the airlines or other sites and check for prices. You can't book from Kayak directly but they give you the major airlines flight times and current prices.
We fly out of Appleton mostly..... It would do us no good to drive 100 miles to Milwaukee because the flights would just go to Minneapolis or Chicago anyway. You are correct that it would do no good for this flight. I actually did use Kayak last year and we picked up a great deal through Northwest. That eventually merged with Delta and now flights have been reduced. Plus we have to go from near Green Bay and fly to Atlanta and then to PVR. I used travelocity to check United and that flight now goes from Green Bay East to Detroit then west to San Francisco and the either to Mexico City or Gaudalara to make the connection to PVR.

I think we might be able to also fly Continental out of this area, but prices are pretty high and connections are no better.

It seems like most flights are using multiple stops now.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:02 am

I wasn't sure where you flew out of in Wisconsin. I saw the Green Bay flight on Delta with only one stop in Atlanta. I have flown Continental out of Houston and it was a good flight. American out of Dallas wasn't bad either (except the Dallas airport is my least fav. to fly from) but I guess for you the main problem is getting there from Wis. I am still spoiled by my direct flight 2-hrs-45 min wheels up to wheels down LA to PVR. Stinks you have to fly all over the US now to get there, I hate multiple stops.

GreatOwl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by GreatOwl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:14 am

Since the merger of Delta and Northwest the flights out of Appleton or Green Bay have been reduced dramatically. We used to be able to fly Northwest to MSP and then direct to PVR. Now with Delta in the mix we have to go through Atlanta on the East coast and then to PVR. Our problem is getting back. We can't make a connection except to get to Atlanta and then lay over for the night and take a morning flight out the next day.

I think we will be ok for Jan. of 2010, but I have no idea what connections will be like in 2011. We have a TS for Week 52 and Week 1 in 2010/11 that we would probably push to later in February because I prefer to go mid winter. Each year we try to hit the mid winter months. It is real chancy trying to make connections with the snow delays.

PVR is well worth it.

kagnew64
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

plane connections

Post by kagnew64 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:52 pm

Great Owl, next year look at MLT.com. They fly out of Minn-St Paul with
great prices and very good service.

pdxbuff
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by pdxbuff » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:26 am

Alaska has been advertising some low fares from Portland, Or to PV. I checked their schedule and the reason is prabably because they have eliminated all direct flights out of PDX. Now you must change planes in SEA, SFX or LAX. The schedules also suck.

19nan43
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Flight connections

Post by 19nan43 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:17 pm

Service from Minneapolis is still good--leaves here around 9:30 AM and leaves PV around 3 PM. The return flight gets to Minneapolis until around 7 PM.

There are still numerous flights to Appleton, but the last flight is at 6:55PM. You would have to spend the night .

GreatOwl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: Flight connections

Post by GreatOwl » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:07 am

19nan43 wrote:Service from Minneapolis is still good--leaves here around 9:30 AM and leaves PV around 3 PM. The return flight gets to Minneapolis until around 7 PM.

There are still numerous flights to Appleton, but the last flight is at 6:55PM. You would have to spend the night .
Well the flight situation is getting worse by the day. Our flight has been changed 4 times now. We fly from Appleton to MSP on an early morning flight. They have now booked us on a connecting flight to Detroit after a lay over in MSP. We get into Detroit that evening and have to lay over 16 hours to get a flight out of Detroit. So we will be wasting two full days just flying.

The same thing happens on the way back. Leave PVR in the morning, arrive in Atlanta and lay over until the following morning to get a flight back to MSP and then wait 2 more hours to catch a flight to Appleton.

From the time we leave home until the scheduled time of arrival in PVR will be about 31 hours of fight time. Since our fight is in January that doesn't count any weather delays. The airlines have you at there mercy.

Even in the future it doesn't look good if our next trip is booked through Chicago or MSP direct. That means 5 hours of bad winter driving to get to either location.

PVR is beginning to look like a "vacation from hell" to us. It was always my favorite location and now the airlines have screwed everything up.

GreatOwl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: plane connections

Post by GreatOwl » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:10 am

kagnew64 wrote:Great Owl, next year look at MLT.com. They fly out of Minn-St Paul with
great prices and very good service.
There is no such url or website. Did you leave something out????

wyoblu
PV Fan
PV Fan

MLT

Post by wyoblu » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:44 pm

worryfreevacations.com

GreatOwl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: MLT

Post by GreatOwl » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:01 pm

wyoblu wrote:worryfreevacations.com
Thank you..... I spent the morning looking for options... Yes that is the flight we are booked on now.

We need to drive to Green Bay instead of our local airport now. I got NWA to change our flight connections free of charge.

Actually, that flight out of MSP is the one we have been connecting with the last two years. The agent speculated that Appleton and Green Bay were just combined to save $.

Thanks for an update on the website anyway. It will help us look for next year also. The flight number has been changed to 2600/2601 now instead of the previous 1600/1601

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:02 am

check usair/america west. they have good flights from Milwaukee, connecting in phoenix.

GreatOwl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by GreatOwl » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:22 am

benito wrote:check usair/america west. they have good flights from Milwaukee, connecting in phoenix.
Thank you for the url. We almost never fly out of Milwaukee because it would mean we would need to drive down the day before and stay at one of the hotels close by. It just ads to the cost. Any of our trips to PVR are made in the winter and driving over 100 miles is taking a risk when you need to book a flight that far ahead with the winter driving weather we have. When we travel in our 6 days of summer :wink: we usually can get good prices and connections within the USA right from our local airport.

I will keep the url handy as we never know when it might come in handy.

thank you again.

tigerfan
PV Fan
PV Fan

flight changes

Post by tigerfan » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:34 pm

We booked a non stop flight from Detroit to PV a few months ago on Northwest for February only to receive an email this past weekend that the airline changed our plans to a one stop over in Minneapolis! YIKES! One of the reasons to go to PV in February is to get away from snow! I notified them that once I leave Detroit, I do not want to see snow--or the possibility of getting stranded somewhere else in it. Since they merged with Delta, it appears there have been several route modifications. The non stop flight I booked is still available, just not on the day I planned to travel. They gave me the option of changing my departure date, or flying to PV via Atlanta or Los Angeles.

GreatOwl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: flight changes

Post by GreatOwl » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:23 am

tigerfan wrote:We booked a non stop flight from Detroit to PV a few months ago on Northwest for February only to receive an email this past weekend that the airline changed our plans to a one stop over in Minneapolis! YIKES! One of the reasons to go to PV in February is to get away from snow! I notified them that once I leave Detroit, I do not want to see snow--or the possibility of getting stranded somewhere else in it. Since they merged with Delta, it appears there have been several route modifications. The non stop flight I booked is still available, just not on the day I planned to travel. They gave me the option of changing my departure date, or flying to PV via Atlanta or Los Angeles.
That is so ironic since the e-mail we received on Wednesday changed our booked flight from MSP to PVR. We were told we had to transfer in MSP and fly to Detroit and then the flight would then be direct to PVR. I am not sure the right hand knows what the left is doing any more.

We will just end up driving 35 miles to a different airport to begin our trip. It will only be a detour of a half hour for us instead of 24 hours of lay overs.

tigerfan
PV Fan
PV Fan

flight plans

Post by tigerfan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:27 am

Great Owl---we are going to leave Detroit on a Sunday---the non stop flight is still available on Saturday--that may explain why you would be re-routed thru Detroit for a non stop flight--hope things work out for you. I am now wondering if I am going to be charged for baggage as one leg of the trip is a domestic flight--when only international flights are exempted from these additional charges.

GreatOwl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by GreatOwl » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:01 am

I can't remember if we were charged last year or not, but i don't think so. The flight to PVR the checked bags are just transferred right through. On the return trip you do come through a customs gate, but within a matter of a few feet they go right back on a conveyor belt for the next flight.

GreatOwl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by GreatOwl » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:02 am

Well, we are now three days from take off. They have changed the time once and the flight numbers three times, but we will still arrive about the time as we originally booked for. Our weather has been mild for us so I am not anticipating any flight delays through MSP.

I really do l look forward to getting out of this snow and cold and clouds.

tigerfan
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by tigerfan » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:23 am

Have a great trip! We leave in 18 days-getting really excited!