Helpful Pet Travel guidelines

Travel to and from: airfares, cruises, etc. + local transport: taxi, bus, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

denny8569
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Helpful Pet Travel guidelines

Post by denny8569 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:17 am

So you are getting ready to go on that long-awaited and much-deserved vacation. If you are a proud pet owner, you have taken your pet into consideration while you planned your vacation. Or have you? Below are a few pet travel tips you may want to consider.

* Should you take your pet with you when you go off on vacation? Consider how old your pet is. He or she may be too old to travel. If you are going on a long journey or flying, your pet may not be able to handle the stress brought on by traveling long distances and long hours...

* If you decide to take your pet along, ensure that your pet's health is good and that he can travel. A week or two before you go on vacation, take your pet to his veterinarian for a thorough check up.

* When traveling by car, make sure that your pet has a collar on at all times. The collar must have your pet's name, your name, your address and phone numbers. Keep in mind that when you travel with your pet in a car, your pet can easily run off while your back is turned. If you’re pet is wearing a collar with all the right information, whoever finds him can easily contact you for your pet's safe return.

* Ensure that your pet's carrier or crate is big enough for your pet. Keep in mind that your pet dog may have a hard time traveling in the car in a crate, and if you’re pet is a cat, your cat must be in a cage while you travel by car. If you are traveling by plane, you will be required to place your pet in a crate. Make sure to get a crate that is airline approved and is of the highest quality.

gonard

Post by gonard » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:30 pm

I read all the guidelines you have given here, I'm so thankful you share it to us, I know this going useful to me.

angelaplynn
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by angelaplynn » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:52 pm

Definitely, I agree with this. There are just so many consideration we should know first before traveling with our pet. All of us must follow the guidelines of airlines to avoid some delays and conflicts when the final date of travel has arrive.

JuneC
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by JuneC » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:51 pm

What if you are traveling from Puerto Vallarta from outside Mexico? Would a dog need to be quarantined for some time before it could be released to the owner? I know many countries have quarantine periods of 7-days for animals. If this is the case, then I wouldn't recommend anyone take their animals on their trips. It's cruel to the animals.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:20 am

There is no quarrantine period in Mexico. I would not recommend taking your pet down in the summer months, it gets way too hot in the cargo areas of the planes while they are loading and unloading.

Mexico requires a current Rabies vaccination and a vet's clearance a week before travel. Mexico requires Rabies every year instead of every 2 years like in the US.