Bridge Collapse over Ameca River

Travel to and from: airfares, cruises, etc. + local transport: taxi, bus, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

poppy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Bridge Collapse over Ameca River

Post by poppy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:03 am

U.S. Consulate General Guadalajara released the following Warden Message on August, 31, 2010:

Authorities in Bahia de Banderas, Nayarit, reported the partial collapse of the Ameca River Bridge on August 31, 2010. Consequently, non-official traffic from both sides have currently come to a halt. Authorities reported that the collapsed section was located on the “old” bridge, which leads from northern Puerto Vallarta to Nayarit (including Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit, where our U.S. Consular Agency is located).

The bridge heading from southern Nayarit to Puerto Vallarta can only be used by authorized official vehicles and some foot traffic. Civil Protection authorities from the State of Nayarit are evaluating the safety of the alternate bridge, which will remain closed until their further determination.

The US consular agency in Puerto Vallarta is operating with limited staff at this time due to the bridge collapse.

Free maritime transportation is being offered by Vallarta Adventures from the Paradise Village Marina to the main maritime port API today. The schedule is as follows:

11:00 am from Paradise Village Marina to main Maritime Terminal API in Puerto Vallarta (45 mins approx).

12:00 pm from API to Paradise Village Marina.

1:00 P.M. from the Paradise Village Marina to API.

2:00 P.M. from API to the Paradise Village Marina.

3:00 P.M. from the Paradise Village Marina to API.

4:00 P.M. from API to the Paradise Village Marina.

5:00 P.M. from the Paradise Village Marina to API.

6:00 P.M. from API to the Paradise Village Marina.

The U.S. Consulate General in Guadalajara is located at 175 Progreso Street; Col. Americana, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico. The U.S. Consulate General in Guadalajara’s telephone number is 011 52 33 3268 2100; the fax number is 011 52 33 3825 1951. For after-hours emergencies, please call 011 52 33 3268 2145.

The U.S. Consular Agency in Puerto Vallarta is located at: Paseo de los Cocoteros No.85 Sur, Paradise Plaza, Interior Local L-7, Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit. Paseo de los Cocoteros #85; Sur Paradise Plaza, Interior Local L-7, Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit. The U.S. Consular Agency in Puerto Vallarta’s telephone numbers are 011 52 322 222 0069 & 011 52 322 223 3301; the fax number is 011 52 322 223 0074. For after-hours emergencies, please call 011 52 33 3268 2145.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:04 am

Traffic was flowing again in the afternoon of the 31st. They are restricting the flow of traffic and buses were not being allowed to cross. I have not heard any updates about the buses today. The water taxis and boats are still running from Nuevo to PV, I am sure to help alleviate all unnecessary traffic. Traffic is a nightmare so if you are going to drive allow extra time as the flow is restricted so it is taking longer to cross.

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:18 pm

We'll be going to N.V. in early nov and I suppose it will still be a mess then.I guess I'll wait awhile before I ask about Any advice about whether we should take a taxi from the airport or what. Any word on the missing?

aploj
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by aploj » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:09 pm

I strongly suggest not to stay in Nuevo, unless you want to stick to restaurants and life on that side of the river, which is fine then. It takes me at least 45 minutes every time I need to cross the river, so depending what your plans are, choose a hotel on the righ river bank...!

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:35 am

I have heard from several people living in Bucerias, La Cruz and Nuevo that the traffic depends on the time of day you try to cross. They have said they have driven across the bridge with no delay at all.

It normally "can" take 30 to 45 minutes to make that trip if traffic is heavy.

aploj
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by aploj » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:21 pm

Yes, if you cross very early (before 8am or late, after 9pm) you won´t have so much delay (just crossing it at slow speed). During the day the worst times are in the morning (8-10), afternoon before and after lunch (1-4) and evening (6-8.30). The rest of the times you will just have a 10-20 minute delay.

There some tricks how to avoid traffic in peak times, if you´re coming from Jalisco to Nayarit:

- right after the airport, take the exit to Vista Vallarta and Central Camionera and then when you arrive to the main road to Ixtapa-Las Palmas, turn left, you will exit at the big roundabout saving at least 10 minutes of traffic

from Nayarit to Jalisco:

- take the entry to Nuevo Vallarta (where the new bridge is), and as soon as you enter turn left at the roundabout, continue until the entrance to the Mayan hotel, turn left and all straight to the exit. You will save another 10 minutes in peak time.

- there is another way to exit through Jarretaderas but is a bit more difficult, (same as before) then you need to take the exit to the right at the big roundabout before arriving to the highway, continue, and then turn left at the end of the street towards the highway. You save another 10 minutes, as you exit right in front of the bridge

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:43 pm

Since most tourists are taking a taxi or bus rather than driving themselves I am sure the taxis know the quickest way to get there.

aploj
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by aploj » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:26 pm

Definitely, this is intended for those that rent a car, just trying to be helpful