Driving to Puerto vallarta

Travel to and from: airfares, cruises, etc. + local transport: taxi, bus, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

rolazagasti
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Driving to Puerto vallarta

Post by rolazagasti » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:38 am

Has anyone had any problems driving to Puerto Vallarta from the USA. I am planning to drive but, a some people say not to because it is dangerous. Any feed back will be appreciated.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:50 am

Check your Message box.

gdremark
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by gdremark » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Don't drive a night and stay on main roads!

gdremark
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by gdremark » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:35 pm

The main thing DO NOT drive at night, start early and finish early and caravan when possible.

Most of the times we drive we stop for the night in Nogales and get up early and drive to either Guaymos if we are taking our time. Not much there I don't remember the hotel resturant we stop at right off hand but secure parking and good food. I'll ask the wife and see if she recalls the name, there aren't many there so don't worry.

But most of the time we stop in Los Mochis and spend a day. Ask a taxi driver to take you out to the islands to eat! They have water breaks that go to the islands (not really islands because the are connected to the main land) But great fresh fish! It's about a 15-20 minute taxi ride.

Or for a relaxing drive take and stop in Los Mochis the first day, the second day go to Mazatlan. It is fun to take a golf cart tour around town, they will take you bye the churches and also the look out points so you can see the islands.

And the next day you can be in PV!

Well if you are driving from Nogales you can NOT make it that distance in one day so you MUST stop at least once or you better fly!

I thought some people said the violence is only on the border! (Tongue in cheek)

If you really want to be safe fly (when ur there stay in the tourist areas and even then can't be sure of anything.........) and as for driving use the rules about NEVER driving at night, drive in groups and stay on the main roads. I have driven all over Mexico (most likely 20k+ miles over the last 10 years)the main thing be aware of ur surroundings and don't go down side streets.

One last thing don't drive around in a Hummer or some such car with all tinted windows!

leila
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by leila » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:17 am

:) Its better to drive during daytime but it really depends on your stamina. If you feel comfortable driving at night time then that's okay for as long as you stay on the main roads.

gdremark
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by gdremark » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:47 pm

I use to drive anytime day or night but it's not a good idea.

Have you ever ran into a cow, horse or dog before? Yes even on the cotas!

I seen a car hit a horse and it isn't pretty!