Car Legalization

Travel to and from: airfares, cruises, etc. + local transport: taxi, bus, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

jchgpr
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Car Legalization

Post by jchgpr » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:49 pm

I am new at this and may be going over old ground.
Does anyone know how to get a car legalized in Mexico.
Its a 2001 Toyota 4 runner. Is there a special Abogado that can help?

Marttin43
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Marttin43 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:30 am

This post is a little old. Do you still need help with this?

It depends on a few things, but assuming you meet the residence requirements I could get you in touch with the guy who legalized mine. He was a man of very few words, but got it done super fast. I got to the border and 3 hs later I was on my way here with a ''Mexican" car. The dude only makes about 100 bucks per car so he won't rip you off and I trust him.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:39 am

Martiin,
Who did you pay the fees to, or did you pay him $100 on top of all the other fees?

Marttin43
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Marttin43 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:10 pm

The way it worked, he gave me a flat rate and asked for a $100 deposit up front. I was reluctant to doing that since he asked me to deposit the $100 in a Wells Fargo account, but I was running out of time.

Then he asked me to meet him close to the border the day I was to cross it. I was there a little early when I called him and he asked me to get my car in line...gave him (reluctantly again) the title and other doccuments he asked for. Then we just waited. My number was called, he picked up the doccument handed it to me, gave him the rest of the cash and I was on my way to getting lost in Tijuana. Looks like he paid all the fees b4 I paid him. When I reviewed the the breakdown of the fees, it was about $150 more than the fees shown on paper. I figure after taxes and bribes, he makes around 100 per.

Now, registering it, was a different deal. Had to go to places where nobody seemed to know why they were there, I was sent to another town where I was told to go back to the city and do it there......well...u know the drill.

Btw, the man sent me an email to inform me we can now ilegalize up to 2003 models.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:42 pm

So in other words you registered it illegally with some guy paying bribes and paperwork before you even got the car there? What about the manadatory smog check, was it done before you got to the border too?

And you recommend this guy as someone honest that people can trust? OK then.

Marttin43
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Marttin43 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:10 pm

Hmmm...not quite Kat, I didn't do anything illegal. Everything was done perfectly legally and withing the guidelines of the law.

The only money he got up front was the $100. The rest I paid after I got the 'pedimento' from the officials. This is the doccument that states the car is now 'national'. Only after getting that doccument I paid the rest of the money I agreed to pay for the process. B4 I went with this guy I checked around and most 'brokers' charged between 300 and 700 dollars more. You could do it cheaper by shopping around the border brokers, but you'd have to stay there for a couple of days until they get it done.

The 'mandatory smog check' was not done at the border at all. That I had to do b4 getting my mexican plates in the state of Jalisco. The pedimento you get at the border is a 30-day temporary permit to reach your destination and register the car. All they do at the border is check the vin number and cross check that the car isn't stolen.

I should mention that the 'pedimento' gives you a free pass to travel to your destination, but not to "circulate" within cities. For that, you should get another permit that costs you around $25US that will allow you to circulate 'legally' around any city within the 30 day period. Otherwise, you better not get off the highway that goes to your destination.

And finally, this guy only works out of Tijuana. If you are coming from any other port of entry, he won't help ya.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:40 pm

Sorry.....hope no offense was taken but the last time I checked bribes, which you mentioned, are illegal.
it was about $150 more than the fees shown on paper. I figure after taxes and bribes, he makes around 100 per.

Marttin43
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Marttin43 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:52 pm

No offence taken at all.

Bribes are indeed illegal, but no officials were bribed. That was just to get us in front of the line...maybe I should've use the term "tip".

tommy499
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by tommy499 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:28 am

Does anybody know anyone in PV that could help me legalize my 2002 Mitsubishi that is here in PV. I brought it down last May and it has Oregon plates. I have an FM 3.

I don't want to go to the border

Thanks, Tom

mikeypv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mikeypv » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:41 am

At this time they will only register cars that were made in 2001, next year 2002, so maybe you can try then. If you brought it in legally with a sticker and have an fm3 there is no problem driving around until then. Doesn't make sense to me, I've been trying for 3 years to register my 92 Jeep and it has been a no go. Good luck.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:49 am

Tommy,
Doesn't your current permit have an expiration date and the requirement that you to return the car to the border? I think you will find that you have to take the car back to the border because that is the type of permit you currently have. The paperwork has to be reissued at the border to bring it back in with the proper paperwork to legalize it.

mikeypv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mikeypv » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:01 am

Kat, you can drive with an expired sticker as long as you are an fm3 holder. I have been told that the change of registration could take place here in Vallarta without going back to the border.

Marttin43
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Marttin43 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:57 am

Mike, the law has changed. Now cars up to 2003 can qualify. A 92 might not cut it though. I believe is way too old. Pick ups can qualify older than 95 since they are used for work on the fields. But while at the border I asked around and I was told it was from 95 to 2001 starting novermber 1st of last year and 2003 starting Feb.

Where was the Mitsubishi made in? Part of the requirements to legalize a car is that the car was made/assembled in North America. That is, the first character of the vin # has to be a numbver from 1-5. If it starts with a a letter, it will not qualify. This is one of the Nafta clauses to protect the North American workers (or the ones left, anyways). I wanted to bring my 94 Nissan Pathfinder, but started with a J (for Japan) so what was a no go.

I read the law, but it is so fuzzy, hard to understand.

I wish I could be of more help.