Driving down from the US. Is it safe?

Travel to and from: airfares, cruises, etc. + local transport: taxi, bus, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

spartacus_33
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Driving down from the US. Is it safe?

Post by spartacus_33 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:48 pm

We've been planning a 3 month stay this year and were planning to drive down from Portland, OR. I've been coming to Mexico for 40 years... drove down in my VW bus in 1974.

We're hearing lots of negative things and words of caution from our friends and information on the web. I assumed we'd be hassled by cops or fake cops for traffic violations... but I'm hearing nightmare stories about car jackings and (of course) murders.

I've never had any real trouble in Mexico... but we also don't want to be foolish and "strong arm" this driving trip. We're coming down for the 3 months, tickets are pretty cheap right now... just wanted to know if anyone has had any recent experience or friends who have, recently. We were planning to cross at Nogales. We're also hearing that we should avoid crossing there. Any comments are welcome.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:57 pm

People here are going to downplay all the problems and dangers associated with your planned venture. You'll get responses such as: "No more dangerous than driving through Oregon". Or, "if you use your common sense you'll be fine".

I suggest that you read the State Department travel advisory for Mexico travel and make up your own mind. Chuck... 8)

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... s_970.html