Help/info needed re transportation with two toddlers

Travel to and from: airfares, cruises, etc. + local transport: taxi, bus, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

twinmom
Help/info needed re transportation with two toddlers

Post by twinmom » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:30 pm

My best friend will be gettting married at Dreams Resort in PVR in Jan 2006. I have twin daughters who will be almost 3-years old at the time and we are debating on bringing them. We have never been to Mexico and I have several concerns. One being how will we get them from the airport to the resort? I would not want them to go in a car or taxi without their car seats being properly installed but I don't even know if that is possible in Mexico, as I know car seats are not manditory. The thought of my girls in a car on a bumpy dirt road being driven by a stranger, well, it makes me very nervous!!

I know not to drink any water/ice cubes and to use bottled water for brushing teeth but what about the safety in Mexico over all?
I've heard the buildings are not build to code for earth quakes and since I've never been there, I just don't know if it is wise to bring 2 3-year-olds there.

If anyone has any information about traveling to PVR with toddlers, PLEASE respond. The travel agent says all is fine and safe for them but I just don't know what to do!

Thank you in advance,
Jennifer

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Re:Help/info needed re transportation with two toddlers

Post by chuck » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:49 pm

I wouldn't do it, but that's just me. BTW the water in PV is perfectly safe. I would have issues with transportation and kids. I just think it would worry you too much.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:06 am

I totally agree 110% with <:((O))~. The water is no worry, and while, realistically, there is nothing to "worry" about, I'll just bet you will! About everything. You and your husband will not have any fun. It will be sort of hot and the babies will be uncomfortable and most likely whiney. Don't you have anybody at home to heave them with like grand parents? They're safe...after all, they raised you and your husband. Just my opinion. Chuck

twinmom

Post by twinmom » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:13 am

Nope. No one at home that I would leave them with. My parents are not able to care for them and all of our friends have twins or 2-4 young kids of their own. I refuse to sleep away from my kids anyway but thanks for the responses! We live in South Florida so my kids are used to the heat -- I'm not even worried about that aspect, just about the land transportation and safety issues. Obviously, taking my kids to Mexico is not something that I want to do -- I'm trying to find out if it is a wise thing to do re safety.

If anyone knows about transportation to/from the airport and hotel and if anyone has gone to PV with toddlers, I'd love to hear from you. Is Dreams a nice resort? No one seems to ever mention it here.

Thanks,
Jennifer

randyintucson
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by randyintucson » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:18 am

Some of the taxi drivers down here are crazy but most are pretty good, although aggressive. If you have never been to PV, be prepared for all kinds of approaches for help and transportation at the airport. After you get through customs take a left and walk straight ahead until you get to two booths for taxis near the exit. I recommend igoring all other offers for taxis/transportation. When you get to those booths, you will talk to ladies who are fluent in English and express your concerns and needs. You may end up paying a little more than is necessary, but your piece of mind will be worth it.

I say this based on experience years ago on my daughter's and my first grandaughter's trip to PV. My daughter totally freaked out on our first taxi trip, when we had one of the truly crazy drivers, and it took her quite some time to realize that that was somewhat unusual.

So, again, always let people know about your needs and concerns and I think you will be well taken care of.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:34 am

Just thought I'd add, the roads aren't "dirt" - they're all paved. The water is safe and much of the city is very very safe, it isn't like hitting a Mexican border town. I'm thinking someone has been feeding you paranoia stories, or reading you news articles from Mexico City.

Relax, take a deep breath. Better? Ok.

In Mexico, they love children. Worship them. I have yet to meet anyone who has brought their child to Vallarta who hasn't commented on how the locals treat their children so well, and just love them to death. That should hopefully ease your mind some on the safety issue. Vallarta is a tourism-based economy...in other words, they're not going to go out of their way to harm you, kidnap you, hold you at gunpoint, rob or rape you. And they're most certainly not going to harm your kids.

As far as car seats go, they aren't mandatory, yes. And you would be hard pressed to find a taxi or Suburban van who actually had one...so are you going to be bringing your own? That's extra luggage for sure, and you would also be hard pressed to find a taxi with seat belts to secure them. Now, I'm not saying this to make you worry, it's just that you need it straight. If you're not going to leave your 3 year olds behind, then you'll need to plan on how to transport them. Generally by the time children are 3, they've normally outgrown a carseat anyway, so I'd say put them in the back seat, between two adults.

And again...the water is potable, the roads are paved. Vallarta ranks way up there as a tourism destination in Mexico for many reasons. Safety is definitely one of them; the warm friendly people, that's the #1 reason. So just go and enjoy.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:38 am

Just to add:

Not many people here mention Dreams because the resort only became Dreams within the last 18 months. It was, for a very long time, the Camino Real. The CR was a much beloved hotel.

If you want reviews written by actual travelers who have stayed there, I would suggest checking out Trip Advisor. Lots of reviews of Dreams there.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:41 am

Oh, and one more thing - bring a couple of umbrella strollers. They won't want to walk all the time, and any stroller bigger than that will be too much, and too difficult to push on cobblestone. You need something easy and portable that can take a lot of abuse. You'll thank yourself later for doing so, believe me.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:08 pm

All excellent and very reasonable tips from Jennybean, we thank you for that!

There's little to add on any of the subjects... Regarding children, one really doesn't want to move them around much if possible, so a trip or two in the backseat of a taxi in Vallarta, isn't much of a risk. I've not used taxis much in Vallarta, but most here in Guadalajara, have working seatbelts, so use them for you and your kids and you should be fine in those few trips you'll take.

Yes, I've read those border town reports and have been to a few that make it clear they are quite backwards... but Vallarta is like another world compared to border towns and even Mexico City on many respects, specially safety!

You'll have a very nice and (depending on the girls' personalities) hectic, vacation in Vallarta :-)

Kind regards

Mogens

twinmom

Post by twinmom » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:17 pm

WOW! Thank you all so very much for all of the wonderful information! It really helped! It is hard to consider the logistics of it all when I've never been to Mexico and all of your input was very much appreciated.

Jellybean, yes, the information I was given was from people who basically scared the you know what out of me....I was told that the girls would need to get a variety of shots (some of which we have never given them) and just made it sound like we'd be going to the remotest area of Mexico...Granted, I've done my own research, but it's hard to know what is accurate.

Re the transportation -- we probably would not leave the resort so I'm only concerned about the rides to/from the airports. Does anyone know if I'd be able to hire a car service to come meet us at the airport and if so, can you give me the name?

Thanks again for all of the great info...I'm so glad I found this site!

Jennifer

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:04 pm

Oh no, please don't tell me you're not leaving the resort. That's like not going to Mexico at all!

Puerto Vallarta is such a fantastic place for families, I'd hate to see you miss it, I really would. You need to at the very least take the girls up to the Malecon (ocean front boardwalk) on Sunday nights for all the sights, sounds and tastes. It's like a big street festival, and it would be a crime to miss it. To see all the Mexican families and tourists mingling, walking, eating, listening to music and watching artisans create their works...I couldn't imagine a trip to Vallarta without it now.

I'm not aware of any "car services" in Vallarta. The airport is a federal zone, and only cars licensed to do pick ups from there are on premises. I will tell you that it looks as though most of the airport taxis are newer cars now, and the one I was in just two weeks back did have seatbelts...that being said, you still wouldn't be able to get a car seat in there without a whole lot of work and sweat, and the cars are not big enough for two of them plus two adults. If you have bought your air/hotel package already, you need to check your tickets, itinerary, or with your travel agent about whether transfers are included. If so, all this worry over transportation will be for naught, because the resort will be transporting you back and forth to the airport. I noticed this past trip a lot of the tour operators are transporting arrivals to their respective resorts in large luxury buses now. Not sure if Dreams will be doing the same, but I suspect at the very least they'll have you in a Suburban SUV.

brenda

Post by brenda » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:27 pm

I just want to add that all of us reading this board probably have not ever been in a car seat! And yes, we are all still alive!
The average speed limit here is about 20 to 30 kilometers an hour- 60 at the most- that means less than 40 miles an hour.
We also have thousands upon thousands of Mexican babies who ride in cars, trucks, buses and taxis daily:)

Just some food for thought.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:13 am

We had a gang of 8 adults come to visit us last year, so I went to the airport ahead of time to see what was available for that many people with lots of luggage. It was no problem getting a good-size SUV, although it cost a bit more - around $35.00 I think. Anyway, car seats, if you bring them, will definitely fit in these vehicles, which were for hire from the same taxi stands as the regular cabs.
As Jennybean said, your views are a little archaic - about 25 years out of date, actually. Please do yourself a favour and do not even consider staying on the resort full time. This is not the Dominican Republic or Jamaica. Puerto Vallarta is civilization at it's finest. No one can blame you for being apprehensive but that is what travel is all about - learning about new places, not staying on an Americanized resort day in and day out. You might as well go to Florida if that's the case!
The very first time I went to Mexico I had my 6 year old, curly haired daughter with me and I was watching for white slave traders on every corner, sure she would be whisked away from me. That was because I listened to my mother, who had absolutely no experience in or of Mexico at all. I wasn't there 15 minutes before I realized how wrong I was - and that was in Mexico City, not P.V.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:28 am

Brenda is SO right (as always) We have never been in a car seat....and we are alive and kicking in our old age. Please don't let uppie parent paranoia get in the way of you and your husband having a great time in PV. Get in the taxi....hold each child in your lap.You have been told to always have your child in a car seat. Not necessary. You all will be fine. Chuck.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:30 pm

I must add my two cents worth now.... and my votes go with Jennybean, CharlieB, Brenda.... please go and have a great time in Vallarta, get out of the resort and go to the malecon and let the kids see the activities, the people, the lights, all the fresh food that the vendors have.... they will love it... Our sister resort next door, the Crown Paradise Club, has lots of children from infants to adolesence.... And the parents have been bringing them down for a long time... many from various parts of Canada as well as the Northeast USA and Europe... Our friends make a trip every year with their children to the Crown Paradise Club so that the kids feel special too, because mom and dad come down once or twice a year to the Adults only all-inclusive at the Golden Crown Paradise...

there is a "limo" type service that has A/C surburbans that will charge you anywhere from $35 - $45 USD depending on passangers, and luggage. If i can find their names i will post it here for you... And by the website they had some very nice and updated equipment....

But kick back and enjoy the wonderful people of Vallarta... the sights, the sounds, the smells, the life.... she is a wonderful city...

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:34 pm

Quote: "there is a "limo" type service that has A/C surburbans that will charge you anywhere from $35 - $45 USD depending on passangers, and luggage. If i can find their names i will post it here for you... And by the website they had some very nice and updated equipment...."

That price might be more Tom, considering where Dreams is located. Taxis from the airport out there are in the 200 pesos range, give or take...I didn't check the Aero Movil list when I was there first week in July. Oops! LOL

condor
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by condor » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:33 pm

You can't do any better then to take Jennybean, CharlieB or Brenda's advice. As a long time visitor to this site and an occasional poster here, I have never seen any of them give bad advice. In my ten years visiting PV I have never felt un-safe in a Cab. In fact even though I'm a very safe driver I would never think of renting a car and driving myself I feel safer with the cab drivers. If your driver speaks any english ask him to take it slow and safe then give him a tip. He will drive 5 miles an hour if you want him to but that would probable be unsafe. you really must go downtown with the kids Sunday night if you are there the kids will love it and you will see all kinds of families. Our first trip to PV our daughter was 6 and wanted to buy a little dress at the market The vendor wanted $10 but she offered him $5 He came down to $8 and she stuck to her price saying $5 was all she had. He told her to ask her dad but she told him I would say she was spoiled rotten and didn't need anything else. So he agreed to $5. She paid him with a ten dollor bill and the guy started laughing. After we told her why he was laughing she said ok $10 but he told her nope a deal is a deal and it was hers for $5. When we left I handed him another $5, thanked him & told him it was for what would be our best memory of PV. Puerto Vallarta with your children will be your best memories of PV don't let yourself miss any of them out of fears of uninformed friends. Share some of your memories with us when you return. And Mogens look out I think JennyBean is after your job ;-)

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:52 pm

Jennybean you are probably right... i know the one year i found this company that was going to pick Lorrie and I up with our friends from Colorado so that we could go to the resort together for their anniversary... but we got stuck in Des Moines with a blizzard, and missed our connection in Phoenix... the driver was there with a sign and our name on it, so our friends went up to the man, told him what had happened to us, etc... and they used the AC Suburban... granted we were only going to GCP it was like $30 USD... but that was going to be 4 adults with enough luggage for two weeks together... they told us it was great to have that big vehicle with all their luggage... but i am sure you are right about the rate to Dreams would be almost twice that.... but if they still have these nice suburbans, it would be worth it for them.... there used to be a guy in Nuevo Vallarta we used all the time when there were 4 couples that stayed out at the Hotel Sierra... he could get all 8 of us anywhere we wanted to go together, and he made us a great deal when the guys wanted to go golfing, and the girls wanted to go shopping.... i wish i could find his card...

thanks for your inputs as well....

talk to you soon.... love hugs and kisses from Iowa

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:25 pm

Jennybean is a great collaborator here and on other boards, I doubt she wants my job, though I would gladly give it away at times. And then again, my job is just to moderate, not so much collaborate (if I could more, I would more), remember I live in Guadalajara, so my tips are for the most a bit old at times.

Great advise you've all given here, thanks to you all.

Mogens

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:25 pm

You know Mogens, we all try to help the new people that are coming down to Vallarta for the first time to those of us that have been coming down for year after year... We all have a different look at how things operate in Vallarta, but we all come to the same conclusion, we love our home a way from home... and we will do whatever it takes to give out the best advice we can...

have a great day....