TAXI or JEEP

Travel to and from: airfares, cruises, etc. + local transport: taxi, bus, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

SummerSun
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
TAXI or JEEP

Post by SummerSun » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:54 pm

would you suggest renting a jeep to get around? Is it worth it?

I've heard that you need to have an international driving permit..... not a big deal to obtain if it means that we would get to see some places that we normally wouldn't..... but...... are taxi's readily available and inexpensive?

We would like to go to Yelapa and maybe some other places as well. Suggestions?

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:05 pm

Taxi's are available everywhere and are fairly inexpensive. The local buses are even more inexpensive and a must adventure for first timers. If you are planning on doing some sight seeing north of PV proper and Nuevo then I might rent a Jeep or car for the day but downtown PV is crowded and parking is hard to come by.

SummerSun
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Thanks Lori.....

Post by SummerSun » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:23 pm

The areas we have heard about......

Conchas Chinas Beaches

Los Muertos Beach

Yelapa

Le Kliff Restaurant

I haven't looked up yet so I really don't know how far away they are or if a taxi or jeep would work best. The thing I'm concerned about is getting a taxi from our hotel to a secluded beach area but then not having any taxi's around to get back!!!

Can you shed some light on these areas? How far away and how accessible are they?

Thank you, in advance, for your (and anyone else's) help!

Mikey and Gabby
PV Fan
PV Fan

Yelapa

Post by Mikey and Gabby » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:32 pm

You can't drive to yelapa. Need to take water taxi, donkey, mountain bike or walk.

Know E's
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Know E's » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:09 pm

Although I have no direct knowledge about Yelapa, I could swear that I read on one of the boards that you actually can drive to Yelapa. (or at least close) Someone claimed that they promote that you can only get there by water as a marketing ploy. I could be wrong. It could happen! :lol:

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Yelapa

Post by travelbug_jp » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:59 pm

We were told that there is a road as far as Mismaloya but if you want to continue on to Yelapa you must take the water taxi from there. It's only about 40 minutes from the Los Muertos Pier by water taxi and it was fun. It's 200 pesos per person for a round trip. Don't miss the last one back though.
Joyce

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by rossk » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:32 pm

Though I don't have first hand experience with it, I've read in more than one place that there is a dry-season road to Yelapa that is used primarily for moving large amounts of construction materials and other very heavy loads. I imagine it isn't marked, or maintained much, and I wouldn't even consider looking for it. There are no roads in the village itself, and if you were to drive there, I'm not sure just how far out you would have to leave your car. The drive also takes longer than the route by water.

The water taxis are quick, relatively cheap and scenic, which is what we're taking when we're back in PV 3 weeks from today.

btw, the road hugs the coast past Mismaloya to Boca de Tomatlan, where you can also catch a water taxi.
Last edited by rossk on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delectdee
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by delectdee » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:40 pm

Or, you could bus it to Boca and then hike for 7 hours to Yelapa! :lol:
It has been done- we talked to a guy who had done it.

We bused it to Boca and then hiked to Las Animas (1 1/4 hrs) and then water taxied back to Boca (under 5 mins.!) It is a fantastic day trip.

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

no car needed

Post by susan p » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:48 pm

Every place you mentioned is easily reached by taxi (or water taxi in the case of Yelapa). I would never want the hassle of a car within downtown Puerto Vallarta. Parking, traffic, etc. are all pretty wild.

If you wanted to go up to Sayulita or San Blas or down to Barre or Melenque or something, then maybe rent for a couple days and head directly out of town with the jeep.

I've spent a lot of time in PV and have not heard of anyone driving to Yelapa. Talked with people who go there for a month every year, I think they'd know.
________
RSV MILLE
Last edited by susan p on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

HoneyMoneyPot
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Taxi's and Buses

Post by HoneyMoneyPot » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:51 pm

palapa_gal wrote:Taxi's are available everywhere and are fairly inexpensive. The local buses are even more inexpensive and a must adventure for first timers. If you are planning on doing some sight seeing north of PV proper and Nuevo then I might rent a Jeep or car for the day but downtown PV is crowded and parking is hard to come by.
:) I certainly agree about the taxi service and they arrive quite quickly when you need them, hopefuly you know enough Spanish to communicate with the drivers as they all don't speak english fluently, tipping tips are necessary for your travels and I reccomend you check what is appropriate as I feel my son way over tipped to everyone there. The buses come by frequently and a nice and inexpensive way to travel to your destinations. I would recomend you hang on, sit down and shut up! They go like there's no tomorrow, red lights or pedistrians. :shock: Riverwalker[/img][/list]

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:31 am

There is a very primative road that goes to Yelapa but it is mainly used by locals. It is pretty much impassible in the rainy season as it crosses the rivers and they run really high and fast during the rainy season. Also it is not someplace you would want to get a rental car stuck, I am sure the rental car company would add a hefty fee for retrieving it, not to mention you are going to be stuck in the middle of the mountains miles from nowhere.

If you want to go out of PV proper you can rent a car for a day or two. As was previously noted parking is really hard to come by in downtown or on the south side of PV and traffic can be a real pain. I have always rented a car with my driver's license from the states. Never heard of needing an international driving permit in all the times I have rented cars down there.