Drink Prices

Tips or questions on bars, clubs, discos, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Tator
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Drink Prices

Post by Tator » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:08 pm

How can the drink prices at some bars be more expensive than at home in the US? I just got home from PV yesterday, and paid the following for drinks.

Hilo - $40 pesos per Corona
Zoo - $45 persos per Corona, 125 per mixed drink, $40 per water
Carlos O'Briens - $35 pesos per Corona
No Name Cafe - $35 pesos per Corona
Hard Rock - Higher than all

We did like Bebo Tero for 25 pesos per Corona.

Why so high? Where are they cheaper on the Malecon?

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:14 pm

You hit all the tourist traps on the Malecon by the sounds of it. You probably won`t find too many bargains along there although someone told me that Valterazza and Cheeky Monkey are much cheaper and I have never paid that much for a beer at Mariscos Malecon.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:43 pm

Valterazza had a huge sign posted last week that said "Cervaza 10 pesos" They also had 2 for 1 margaritas posted several times as well.

Joyce

runrrob
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by runrrob » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:15 pm

We have been to Valterazza several times now. The drink prices are the best we have found in PV. Troy the owner is a great guy and has done a great job with the place. Valterazza is a nice place to relax while looking at the ocean and watching people go by on the street and boardwalk below. We highly recommend it.

hurricaneshecky
PV Fan
PV Fan

Drinks prices

Post by hurricaneshecky » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:53 pm

Those are nightclub prices which makes them somewhat unique and in line with many nightclubs in Mexico and the rest of the world.

Vegas clubs are now charging around $8/beer and $16/martini give or take.

KVR
PV Fan
PV Fan

Re: Drinks prices

Post by KVR » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:36 am

hurricaneshecky wrote:Those are nightclub prices which makes them somewhat unique and in line with many nightclubs in Mexico and the rest of the world.

Vegas clubs are now charging around $8/beer and $16/martini give or take.
And that's why we have stopped going to Las Vegas. It's gotten way too expensive. No only drinks, but restaurants and shows. Totally outragous.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Who's The Fool ?

Post by smitty » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:54 pm

Jeez , the beers and mixed drinks at my AI are considerably cheaper ! :) Don't forget to tip the server / bartender . :)

BellaLuna
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by BellaLuna » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:16 am

Valterazza has had 10 pesos cervezas for as long as I can remember. It's a great deal!! The Zoo is by far the most expensive place I have drank in Vallarta. So, get drunk first, then go dancing at the Zoo.

Tator
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Tator » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:09 pm

Good call! We get drunk at out AI resort and then hit the town.

KVR
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by KVR » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:25 pm

Tator wrote:Good call! We get drunk at out AI resort and then hit the town.
Oh good, we're not the only ones that do that. :D

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Drinks

Post by Jennybean » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:16 pm

Average prices I paid over the last two weeks for drinks...now remember, I'm a vodka/water/twist drinker and pretty much avoid the sweet touristy stuff. I also won't drink Oso Negro or any inferior vodka if you held a gun to my head, so when I'm there I pretty much stick to the premium stuff (Smirnoff or Absolut):

Smirnoff w/ water at most beachfront bars, south side: 30 to 50 pesos, 45 pesos at the Burro for sunset happy hour (where I got two shots).

Margaritas, same locations: 35 to 60 pesos, same happy hour rules applied

Cerveza, same locations, various brands: 12-15 pesos on average per bottle, a bucket for 50-60.

In the restaurants, prices ranged from 40 to 65 pesos depending on where you were eating for a Smirnoff, and I believe 40 to 60 pesos for a marg. Whenever and wherever possible, avoid the previously noted tourist haunts and you'll find much better pricing.

We spent most sunsets at Burro, found their pricing/service/quality to be great...plus I like the fact they bring me all the goods to make my own drink instead of it coming pre-mixed. That way I can add the vodka as I chose or mix as I chose. A nice touch, IMHO.

If you do want to go VIP upscale though, hurricaneshecky told me last week he did bottle service one night at Hilo with a friend and got Grey Goose for about $200US. Not bad considering the same bottle service in Vegas will run you considerably more.

(PS - there are still places to drink cheap in Vegas, you just have to know where to go. :wink: )

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:04 pm

A friend of mine had lunch last week at La Palapa and paid 90 pesos for a margarita and 40 pesos for a glass of tap water with ice! Highway robbery, in my opinion.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Prices

Post by Jennybean » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:58 pm

La P is definitely one of those "splurge" places...I doubt I've eaten/drank there more than 3 times in 10 years. Personally I much prefer their sister joint, Vista Grill.

As for a beachfront lunch, next time send your friend next door to Fidencios - the margs are only 30 pesos and a bottle of agua natural con hielo is only 15...by the glass it's free! :D

hurricaneshecky
PV Fan
PV Fan

La P

Post by hurricaneshecky » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:47 pm

Can't be positive, but I think beer at La P was 40 pesos per last week.

thegirlwonder
PV Fan
PV Fan

Bucerias

Post by thegirlwonder » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:15 am

Shamrock in Bucerias charges 95 pesos for a Ketel One vodka screwdriver, which is even MORE than I paid in Portland before I moved here. When I questioned the owner, he said that because of the import fees and such, Ketel One cost him $50 a bottle....

Maybe I should tell him about Walmart, because when I buy it there, it's only $30 a bottle for me. :evil:

girdhar
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by girdhar » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:44 am

hi tator
i am sorry i never have visited puerto vallarta so I can not give my opinion.

chica24
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by chica24 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:05 pm

Its like ellen sad: all big, mostly attracting gringos's, tourist clubs...And there are enough people willing to pay that much for only a beer.!!!..As long as the mayority keeps paying 45 pesos over a beer, prices will only go up and up! :cry:

For very cheap beer, go at WED to la cantina (just 1 block from the malcon)only 9 pesos and a really mexican bar...

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by oneistwo » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:03 pm

I agree with BelleLuna. Stock up on blanco and controy (no, not cointreau) at a LaPlaya store, and limes someplace like Gigante, and mix up a pitcher, and see what develops.

Applause to Jennybean. That's what I call "research."

Tator
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Tator » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:34 pm

I guess if you go to the bigger, more popular places you end up paying the higher prices. I did like some of the smaller clubs where the beers were way cheaper, or you can stop at any stoe and pay less than a US dollar for a beer.

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

prices

Post by teatrolimon » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:17 am

valterazza and cheeky monkey are the same owners

the reason they are cheaper is quiute simple they dont pay rent because of the partnership with the owner of the building

don at no name pays 15000 dollars a month for rent

lets face it the supliers are also raiding the prices on everything and oh yes dontt forget samana santa prices for shrimp

triple the cost to the buyers from the wholesalers

the wholsalers are already claiming a shortage of shrimp in order to jack there prices up

bruce