Language barrier

Tips or questions on bars, clubs, discos, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

riley
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Language barrier

Post by riley » Wed May 14, 2008 12:39 pm

Hey, I'll be exploring the PV Malecon night life scene alone... I don't speak any Spanish, only American English. Will the language barrier be a problem? Will they try to take advantage of me.... this happened to me in France... street vendors would try to overcharge me knowing I didn't speak the language.

Thanks for the help!

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Wed May 14, 2008 1:06 pm

To answer your question in parts.

#1- No, language is no real barrier. Most there speak English

#2- I do not call what they do "Taking advantage" They will always start high and you can bargain. Just do not insult the vendor with offerings that you know are way low. Usually you can come to a fair price for what you are purchasing. The key is being polite and fair minded. That, is their living.

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Wed May 14, 2008 1:41 pm

DELETED

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Wed May 14, 2008 2:01 pm

riley enjoy your time in PV... :)
On the Malecon you will have no trouble if you do not speak Spanish..If you venture out of the tourist area it is helpful to know a few words ..

Do try to speak a little Spanish..The local folks enjoy and feel honored that you are trying to speak their language..
Happy shopping and partying..... :)

riley
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by riley » Wed May 14, 2008 9:34 pm

Thanks so much... this is great info!

Very excited.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed May 14, 2008 9:50 pm

I have to agree with all that has been said here... but i want to toss in some friendly advice here... go get the book Puerto Vallarta for Dummies... seriously... you will find some excellent travel information as well as some great phrases to help you communicate... Spanish is a difficult language to learn to speak fluently in a short moment, but you can learn enough Spanglish that you will be ok as well... Only you can be taken advantage of, and if not knowing the language was one of the reasons, then learn from that mistake and learn a foreign language... Remember to smile... Hola - Hello como estas - how are you tam bien - i am fine gracias - thank you... there you have it ... Spanish 101 good luck, have fun... and enjoy... no worries mate

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Thu May 15, 2008 12:39 am

If you are in a situation where a person does not understand you because of a language barrier(this works with any language) all you have to do is talk LOUDER! :twisted: . Chuck... 8)

riley
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by riley » Thu May 15, 2008 5:56 pm

Hehe... thanks charlieb... I know enough to at least not appear to be a "stupid american".

Thanks tojol57 - that's such a great idea with the book. I leave first thing in the morn so I'll have to just look and see if they'd have that at the airport when I arrive.

Thanks again

DELETED

Free WoW Power Leveling

Post by DELETED » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:38 am

DELETED