Alt. Lifestyles rules

Questions and answers specific to gay, lesbian and other lifestyles. Please note that this is a family forum and content should be readable by all ages.

Moderator:Moderators

Is this subsection a good addition?

Yes
70%
No
14%
Maybe
16%

Total votes: 44

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alt. Lifestyles rules

Post by webmaster » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:16 pm

Hi there,

Welcome to the new section we've created on the board. We'll see if there is enough interest to leave it here. If it is it will climb higher and higher among the sub-boards. Some few rules, that'll make this section integrate fully with the rest.

Just as in other sections, no adult content is allowed, no illegal or questionable topics are allowed. No ads (ad section for that), personal contacts must go in the Personal Contact section, no swearing, cursing, etc. Just like on all the rest of the forum.

We'll review these rules as this gets off the ground.

Have fun,

Mogens
Webmaster
Last edited by webmaster on Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Vote

Post by Jennybean » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:56 pm

I voted yes, but I'm ok with whatever is decided.

And since I seem to be the biggest "faghag" on the BB (a term I lovingly cherish as it was bestowed by some of the best queens I know - and the only one that doesn't involve profanity LOL), I'll go with whatever - since I'll be answering a lot of the questions. :lol:

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good

Post by webmaster » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:09 pm

Actually the poll is mostly to determine the general sentiment, as the mods felt it was a good idea, we'll stick to that unless board members rebel and come out to lynch us ;-)

What is a faghag? As a biologist a hag is a parasite fish, but I think hag is also an old woman in more coloquial terms... I am curious as the name does seem a bit strong, which is why I ask...

Greetings and thanks for your constant input.

Greetings

Mogens

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:18 pm

I do not think it is a name used in a derogatory fashion. I believe that it is used to signify a Woman who is either more comfortable in the company of Gay Men or just comfortable with them. The 2 parts separately are in general not considered PC, but use in the expression is accepable.

By the way, being a Fag Hag, in no way signals the Woman's preference.
Last edited by howard_jax on Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Re: Good

Post by palapa_gal » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:29 pm

mgallard wrote:What is a faghag?
This was one of the best definitions I found.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fag_hag

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Should know better

Post by webmaster » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:45 pm

Having been online for over 10 years now, I should have figured out by now that I can find anything online! Thanks for the tip Lori, can't get much clearer than that.

Regards

Mogens

PD: BTW who's that in your avatar photo?

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:51 pm

Ok what does that make me then. Cause i know what Lorrie is then because of her relationship with Danny at the GCP who is gay. I think as long as you treat everybody the same way each and everyday like you would like to be treated, we shouldn't have any problems here. It is the ignorance that people have that will ruin it for all. but then again that is just this good ole boy from the midwest USA talking again..

thanks for the definition Link Lori... you are alright, i don't care what charlieb has to say about you... :wink:

8) Tom aka mr crown

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Title

Post by Jennybean » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:43 am

The title was definitely bestowed in the most positive of connotations by people who I consider incredible friends. Friends who have brought a whole new sense of adventure, fun and colour to my life. Not to mention an increased appreciation for art, music, literature, fashion and travel.

Believe me, if you leave the house wearing something you really shouldn't be, before ANY of your female friends will say anything, your gay friend will be sure to tell you flat out whether it works or not. They are the best! LOL

I think this paragraph from the wikipedia listing really sums it up best:
This relationship, like most positive relationships, generally evolves out of shared interests and opinions. It offers heterosexual women an opportunity to participate in a gay community where arts, fashion, and literature are embraced and encouraged. The gay community also offers straight women a safe environment to party in relative freedom from unwanted sexual advances.
Not only safety from unwanted advances, but safety of their person in general. :)

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:45 am

That is Lori's little girl. Isn't she just the sweetest little girl you have ever seen? Chuck... 8)

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:45 pm

Just my humble thoughts :)
I personally do not think that there needs to be a separate Gay section.
We are all human and come to the board because of a place called Puerto Vallarta. That is our common bond.
I feel the board is very easy to read. If you want to read and learn about Hotels there is a section. A Gay Hotel thread could be started.
If one wants to talk General talk that is easy to find.
It does not matter to me if there is a special Gay section on the board as long as I can pop into the area to read it too :)
I am curious however how the Gay members and Gay lurkers feel about this. It is not what we think maybe?
I do know that when my Gay son goes for an eve out he feels more comfortable in a Gay bar or a Gay coffee shop.

Cute story that happened a week ago.
My brother and fam are visiting us from England. We had the kids in for dinner.
My Gay son brought his mate.

The hi way from Calgary to Edmonton was renamed last year . The hi way is called Queen Elizabeth 2.
When it was time for the kids to leave
my husband asked my son if he was taking the Queen home.
My son's mate piped up very seriously and said .. I hope so I don't feel like a long walk home. :D

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:42 pm

My personal "feelings" were a "vote" in favour of the addition. Anything that can help people to find the information they're looking for, I feel is a good thing. And yes, we are all (most of us anyway :wink: ) human, but if that's the bar we're looking towards, then I think it needs raising a little.

I think (and don't know for sure) that the section (over time) will be utilized by those that feel the desire to, and hopefully it will be utilized a lot.

I also suspect that over time many "gay folks" have gone elsewhere seeking information, and "we'd" like to make them feel welcome here too, both in providing information, as well as looking for it.

The rest of the board is divided into "categories", I fail to see the difference in the addition of this one more category.

Cheers.

P.S. Cute story....Sylvia.
D

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:48 pm

Quote:
also suspect that over time many "gay folks" have gone elsewhere seeking information, and "we'd" like to make them feel welcome here too, both in providing information, as well as looking for it.

Agreed... and thanks
:)

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:49 pm

Great family story there Sylvia. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on all facets of this matter and the operations of this board. we try to be tolerable to all people and to all walks of life. it is the trolls that need to rooted out and sent into oblivian....

have a great day...

8) tom aka mr crown

condor
PV Guru
PV Guru

Re: Vote

Post by condor » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:35 am

Jennybean wrote:I voted yes, but I'm ok with whatever is decided.

And since I seem to be the biggest "faghag" on the BB (a term I lovingly cherish as it was bestowed by some of the best queens I know - and the only one that doesn't involve profanity LOL), I'll go with whatever - since I'll be answering a lot of the questions. :lol:

Jennybean I think the synonym "fairy godmother" from palapa_gal's link would suite you better.
:wink:
Condor

delectdee
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by delectdee » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:34 am

ok, as a lesbian, here are my thoughts.....i kind of react to the "alternative" label, but, it is the most generic description and likely the least offensive.
i like this forum, in particular, because it provides good, general, helpful info. that any of us can use- gay, lesbian, straight, etc.
i have found PV to be my home away from home as the people tend to be accepting and tolerant. it can be a great place to be yourself and not be worried if you want to walk hand in hand with your partner.
i tend to not pigeon hole myself (i do forget that not everyone is lesbian or gay....lol) so i find the info. in the forum to fit just right.
with that being said, i think it would be a great idea to start an 'alternative' section. for first timers, and some not so new, coming to PV- there is so much to be a part of- tours, hotels, bars, etc. that it can be comforting to know that you can surround yourself with like-minded people.
there are many people on this forum that have a wealth of information and ideas and who seem to be open non-judgemental. so, bring it on.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:25 am

"with that being said, i think it would be a great idea to start an 'alternative' section."

That's exactly what we did. It is even called "Alternative Lifestyles". What is it you are talking about? And what is it you want "brought on"? Chuck... 8)

delectdee
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by delectdee » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:32 pm

charlieb wrote:"with that being said, i think it would be a great idea to start an 'alternative' section."

That's exactly what we did. It is even called "Alternative Lifestyles". What is it you are talking about? And what is it you want "brought on"? Chuck... 8)

i did not realize that you had already created the lifestyle section (i saw the poll and thought it was being discussed). :oops:

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:15 pm

You posted in the "Alternative Lifestyles" section. And what is it, exactly, that you want brought on? You just have me confused, sorry. Chuck... 8)

delectdee
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by delectdee » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:00 pm

don't worry, my sense of "ha ha" fell through. M:-(

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:16 pm

No problem. Just share your thoughts with us as we will with you. PV is genuinely for all.