PACO PACO VS.

Questions and answers specific to gay, lesbian and other lifestyles. Please note that this is a family forum and content should be readable by all ages.

Moderator:Moderators

TJMAC
PV Fan
PV Fan
PACO PACO VS.

Post by TJMAC » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:49 pm

Last time we visited the PV, we had planned to go to the infamous, paco paco. However, Not being a huge fan of drag queens and their "shows" decided upon arriving that maybe this wasn't the place for us. What are some alternative gay clubs in PV that have a more modern appeal? We enjoy lounges and dancing, is there anything that has the best of both worlds? Other wise, we have always been happy going to all the straight clubs, we always end up picking up an entourage of young girls that want to be our best friends for the week. lol... :roll:

delectdee
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by delectdee » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:36 am

gayguidevallarta.com has it all...have fun!

lyrihn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Location:Higuera Blanca / El Tizate / La Cruz de Huanacaxtle

Post by lyrihn » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:19 pm

Check out Mananas which is on the same street as Pacos ranch, a block or so more inland. It is an elegant renovated hacienda -- amazingly beautiful and has becom very popular. This is a very large place

Another new place is La Noche a few blocks away. More like a modern NY or chigago style coctail lounge.

One of my favorites is also Garbos which is a piano bar lounge that is also elegant and modern.

There are others - so fo check out the local papers etc to see whats going on at The Palm for example in the way of shows etc.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

The Palm

Post by Jennybean » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:06 pm

The Palm, I'm advised, has been sold and will undergo a name change soon to "Bench and Bar". Shows will remain although I'm hearing from friends that they might be attempting to tone down the "cabaret" aspect of shows like Ida Slapter (a travesty, in my opinion!!!) and start them earlier. I'll still go, albeit with a sad sense of nostalgia if they curb the cabaret. :(
One of my favorites is also Garbos which is a piano bar lounge that is also elegant and modern.
Garbos is a fabulous place. Love it, love it, love it! GREAT martinis. Also try the Kit Kat, same block. Now open for breakfast too, and I'm hearing very good things...

I'm also hearing of a new alternative club to open on the Malecon called "Plasma", and I suspect the new Abbey Hotel (formerly the Torre de Oro) may have some poolside entertainment.

Club Paco Paco has lost most of their business to Mañana. There is some grumbling amongst the community surrounding Mañana as well, but chalk it up to the usual business jealousy...but there IS underlying stuff going on relating back to Paco. Don't let it stop you from going though...it's all local gossip and goings-on. Oh, and Paco's Paradise is no more - it has closed down as of this week.

Until the sale is completed, there's also sunset happy hour or Gay Bingo on the rooftop of the Blue Chairs, and eventually if the sale on the San Marino is completed (to become a gay resort, purchase underway by the Blue Chairs owners), that will likely become a venue too.

There is lots going on in the community right now...keep checking the Gay Guide Vallarta for more information, they update that pretty regularly.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:49 pm

now the one year we went to club paco paco to watch our friend dance there... it was TV night, and Tomy was a hoot dressed at Tina Turner doing all the MC work... and to be up front cheering our friend on, was just as much fun, as the "locals" were checking out the straight people... people would come up to us, "do you realize this is a GAY bar"... and Lorrie and Susan would go "Yes we know it is an alternative lifestyle bar"... good times, good memories....

will have to check out the other places mentioned as well... just for the s***s and giggles...

lyrihn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by lyrihn » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:30 am

A couple months back i heard a rumor that another bar was opening named "Absinthe" - provocative name - wonder if they will serve the Nouveau beverage.

Has anyone heard anything else about this place?

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:45 am

Haven't heard anything on that front...but I used to play on a pool league team called "Absinthe Minded"... Does that count? :lol:

On an aside...I don't see the "provacative nature of the name/word...as I was on a team by the same name, I'm fairly well-read on the "topic", and it's best boiled down to this...from WikiPedia -
At the height of this popularity, absinthe was portrayed as a dangerously addictive, psychoactive drug; the chemical thujone was blamed for most of its deleterious effects. By 1915 it was banned in a number of European countries and the United States. Even though it was vilified, there is no evidence showing it to be any more dangerous than ordinary alcohol although few modern medical studies have been conducted to test this.

lyrihn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by lyrihn » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:25 pm

Well the image of an array of "green fairy's" totally stoned off fermented wormwood which i think might be legal here in Mexico and could be on the menu provokes interest in my demented mind.

.... And i'm hoping to join them.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Wormwood

Post by smitty » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:12 pm

Jeff , maybe make friends with a traveller from Ontario . We have a few different brands of Absinthe in our liquor stores for sale . It is expensive - around $70 Cdn for a 26 oz bottle - or thereabouts . Green Fairys ? Now come on Jeff lets not stereotype ! :D

lyrihn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: Wormwood

Post by lyrihn » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:06 pm

smitty wrote:Jeff , maybe make friends with a traveller from Ontario . We have a few different brands of Absinthe in our liquor stores for sale . It is expensive - around $70 Cdn for a 26 oz bottle - or thereabouts . Green Fairys ? Now come on Jeff lets not stereotype ! :D
Heres a little except from greenfairy.org:

Absinth,the opaque emerald green liqueur known as the Green Fairy was the drink of favour for Bohemian poets, artists and musicians in 19th Century Europe. Its primary ingredient, an herb known as wormwood was perceived to have almost magical qualities.

To dance with The Fairy was to open the mind. Poets wrote odes to it, musicians sang to it, and lots more drank it. Toulouse Lautrec carried absinth in his hollowed cane. The most noted absintheur of all, Vincent Van Gough cut off his own ear after drinking bottles of it. The Fairy could be a diva or devil, depending on circumstances and the amount consumed.

"The first stage is like ordinary drinking, the second is when you begin to see monstrous cruel things, but if you persevere you will enter upon the third stage where you see things that you want to see, wonderful curious things." -Oscar Wilde on Absinth.

'Banned around the world'

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Fairys

Post by smitty » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:17 pm

Jeff , I understand about the green fairys and absinthe , I was trying to be funny . :) Not mean or rude just trying to kid . :)

lyrihn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by lyrihn » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:24 pm

i knew you were playing by the smile. i just wanted so show folks what i really look like. :shock:

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:31 pm

Absinthe a competitor for what is that Mexican knock your socks off drink :)
Nice looking green fairy. ..Not bad lyrihn.
:)
I searched for green fairy poems and songs...
found this site
http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthePOSTCARDS1.html

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Really?

Post by Jennybean » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:00 pm

i just wanted so show folks what i really look like.
You look like Kylie Minogue? Really?

:wink:

Not sure what the difference would be between Absinthe and Raicilla myself. Other than the fact I've had both and the only one that lived up to its reputation was the Raicilla. LOL

lyrihn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: Really?

Post by lyrihn » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:09 pm

You look like Kylie Minogue? Really?

as long as youve consumed enough absinthe thats exactly what I look like :wink:

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:17 pm

Image :D

**LoLa**
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by **LoLa** » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:03 pm

Ive always heard about this club, but have never been! :)
I think i'm going to have to check it out when im down there! In Toronto we have a place similar to what it sounds like Paco Paco is all about.. fun for straight/gay, doesnt matter!

sernia
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by sernia » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:24 pm

lyrihn wrote:A couple months back i heard a rumor that another bar was opening named "Absinthe" - provocative name - wonder if they will serve the Nouveau beverage.

Has anyone heard anything else about this place?
I would like to know more...is it open yet? Where is located...is there a web site?

TJMAC
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by TJMAC » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:46 am

What club in TO LOLA?.
(i am from hamilton)

**LoLa**
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

TJMAC

Post by **LoLa** » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:35 pm

Hey!
The club I am talking about is El Rico...its on College St. They have a transvestite show around 12/1 am...its a gay bar..but there are alot of straight people as well...Havnt been in awhile, but its alot of fun! :D