Mercurio vs. Abbey Hotel?

Questions and answers specific to gay, lesbian and other lifestyles. Please note that this is a family forum and content should be readable by all ages.

Moderator:Moderators

Art_Decade
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Mercurio vs. Abbey Hotel?

Post by Art_Decade » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:01 am

Has anyone been to the Abbey Hotel since they "re-opened" in August? Also, somebody mentioned the Mercurio in an old posting, but I can't find it, and a search returns 0 results.
Is anyone familiar with the Mercurio?
I'll be down there in late Oct - early November.

John

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Hotels

Post by Jennybean » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:38 am

Familiar with both.

The Abbey is the former Torre de Oro, about a block from Playa Los Muertos on Pulpito. My understanding is that it will be open but continue to be under "renovation" for about the next year. Probably something to consider when booking, if construction and noise are a consideration.

Mercurio is about a block and a half up from the pier, and they finished their pool area renovations this past spring. IMO, a very good choice for an inexpensive gay/alternative hotel. I have friends who stay there exclusively every year and quite like it. They usually stay there around the same time you're going.

Conchubhair
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Conchubhair » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:35 pm

I stayed in Mercurio last year - before they renovated poolside and introduced early evening bar service. Really enjoyed my two weeks there. Simple but clean and remarkably quiet rooms (given great central location). Nice sociable breakfast round pool with other guests - friendly selection of guests too.

Staff were really helpful and friendly- especially the two girls who do the rooms, they were great and they do a really efficient and inexpensive laundry service.

I would certainly stay at Mercurio again. I was in Abbey when it was Torre de Oro - but not to stay, and imagine it could be very good if well managed - so I'm tempted to give it a try too, although I'll probably gravitate back to Mercurio.

BTW, is it true that Blue Chairs are taking over San Marino as a gay resort??

In any case, enjoy wherever you go. PV is great! :D

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Fell Through

Post by Jennybean » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:21 pm

BTW, is it true that Blue Chairs are taking over San Marino as a gay resort??
There was an offer on the table but I keep hearing now it fell through.

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by susan p » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:21 pm

I'm not famliar with current ownerships, but have always liked the location and general feel of what is now Mercurio. I stay next door at Casa Andrea so walk past it every morning. It reminds me a bit of a Posada de Roger kind of style. Authentic and intimate. The Torre de Oro building being a high rise and more modern always held less appeal.
________
Zx14 vs hayabusa
Last edited by susan p on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

pop&fresh

mercurio

Post by pop&fresh » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:57 am

mercurio is a guarantee i hear from my customers that the place is good value for the money and very quiet considering its in the middle of a little action lol

dont know the new owners of the toro de oro

so i really cant vouch for them ive tried to meet them but they seem to un aproachable to us lol

blue chairs has recently been taken over by the previuos owner fidencio with a little controversy

im in constant contact with the former owners and always asking whats going on

all i can say is the offer for san marino is STILL on the table

as far as blue chairs go i think the staff might get up and go in protest

i think there fed up with the current sittuation

unfortunately im not at liberty to discuss the other tidbits about blue chairs

bruce

cristpd
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re: Mercurio vs. Abbey Hotel?

Post by cristpd » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:35 pm

I checked rates at the Abbey...was really surprised at how expensive it was for the Christmas to New years period. I stayed there several years ago, when it was Torre de Oro...and honestly, I can't imagine that the room I was trying to book (the most economical, for 1 person) could be worth US$150 per night. I also checked Mercurio, but they were sold out (and at under US$100 per night...Mercurio would have been my first choice. And their rates are less at other times of the year...I think this is the peak of the peak season for them. Mercurio is a GREAT value).

Mercurio is easy to find if you just search on Google or Yahoo...try "gay hotel Puerto Vallarta." they show up at the top of the list (and with good reason, I'd say). but their website is: www.hotel-mercurio.com

Oh...you didn't mention...but I assume you're looking for a gay hotel. The Abbey and Mercurio are both gay. If you're not...it's probably OK, but you should be gay accepting and not shocked to see 2 men kissing if you stay there. The Mercurio is not a place where you'll see sex in the open...but normal affection between men. As for the Abbey..I don't know yet!

Patrick C.

Art_Decade wrote:Has anyone been to the Abbey Hotel since they "re-opened" in August? Also, somebody mentioned the Mercurio in an old posting, but I can't find it, and a search returns 0 results.
Is anyone familiar with the Mercurio?
I'll be down there in late Oct - early November.

John