Salsa ?

Tips or questions on bars, clubs, discos, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Shimano Penn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Salsa ?

Post by Shimano Penn » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:02 pm

Counting the days now, Jan 14th is it ! I have a list of restaurants and clubs to check out from these forums but wondering if there are any dedicated salsa clubs ? It's OK if they are not touristy, I can hold my own in a "locals" club. Had the "gringo" tattoo removed from my forehead.

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:32 am

Do not miss La Bodeguita del Medio. Live band. Really fun! On the Malecon.

Also JB (say the letters in Spanish--- hota-bay) in the hotel zone. This place does not get going until late into the night.

Sally

Shimano Penn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Shimano Penn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:01 pm

Thanks, I'll check those out. I danced a little in TJ yesterday, the style is a bit different but the girl could follow so it went well. In Ensenada they dance the same as we do in SD but Tijuana is different ? Wonder what I will find in PV :shock:

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:20 pm

It is really fun just to sit and watch people dance. What I really like about La Bodeguita is that there are people of all ages mixing, and many nationalities.

Some dancers are strictly doing salsa, but the majority are actually swing dancing, or a combination of the two.

Sally

Shimano Penn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Shimano Penn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:17 pm

I know swing basic step and am told that most of the moves cross over. It's amazing how similar many of these partner/ social dances are, been told we only have two feet and there are only so many ways to move them 8)

kethrinelopez
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by kethrinelopez » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:53 am

The name "salsa" is the Spanish word for sauce, connoting, in American Spanish, a spicy flavor. We have been taking salsa so we had our sights set on going to J&B right away. Very nice music - very authentic! We loved it!!!!! Maybe not busy most nights.

Shimano Penn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Shimano Penn » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:59 pm

That's true but not actually why the dance is called salsa. To make salsa you combine a number of ingredients any way you choose, there is no "recipie" and no two people make it the same. In salsa (dance) you combine vatious steps and moves as you choose, there is no set pattern and no two people do it the same ;)

poppy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Salsa

Post by poppy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:35 am

Always happy to see people who plan ahead! If you want great salsa, go to Twisted Rose in Bucerias. Very, Very, Very good salsa with lots of locals. Amazing salsa. LaBodeguito is great for town, but Bucerias is a bigger venue. J&B also an option.