Moving from Australia!

All subjects that don't fit in the previous categories, including recipes, moving to PV, off the beaten path trips, cultural and non-profit and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

lippi007
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Moving from Australia!

Post by lippi007 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:12 am

Hey everyone!

I'm moving permanently to Puerto Vallarta from Adelaide, Australia in about 5 months time and I'm just looking for some information and any guidance!

I've never been to Mexico before let alone P.V so this is a pretty big jump and I'm slowly learning Spanish after taking classes for the past 3-4 months so I understand the basics upon my arrival.

However, im now at the stage where I'm looking at apartments/houses for rent and all I can seem to find are luxury holiday rentals? I'm looking for a basic, one bedroom/1 bathroom apartment. Nothing flash by any means. Are there dedicated web-sites (preferably in English?) where they cater to that market? Not so much the high end luxury holiday homes.

Next question is regarding employment - I'll be bringing a chunk of money with me (Approx. $15,000 USD) however obviously I'll need to work eventually...I've got a degree in business and currently work as a business account/development manager for a company here in Australia. From the research I've done P.V is very heavily tourist orientated with 50% of its workers focused around that industry. Will my business degree and business related work-experience be of any benefit to me in P.V or more realistically will a waiter/kitchen hand job be more likely?

Finally(sorry for the long message!), how long can I expect the $15,000 USD to last me with expenses such as rent, food, transport, cell phone, internet and cable and any bills? Obviously this depends on the life-style I lead but I'm not planning on doing anything exotic or over the top. In-fact the opposite, living to quite a strict budget until I find a job at least.

Thanks so much everyone and hopefully see a few of you in 5 months!

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rent a place in vallarta

Post by webmaster » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:13 am

What about this: http://www.segundamano.com.mx/anuncios- ... =16&l2=617

For work, it's impossible to work legally in the country without an FM3, which you can't get unless you have a formal job, which they do not offer you if you don't have an FM3, which you can't get without a formal job... and so on... catch 22 if you ask me :-) Anyway, most foreigners end up getting language or timeshare jobs, if you are very qualified and interesting you might be able to convince a local company to give you a job... but age may be an issue. I'm not an expert, but take it into account.

A single person with a frugal lifestyle, no expensive habits, could be alright with 1000 dollars a month, locals get along with less, but I doubt you could, I couldn't...

Greetings

M.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:14 am

I'm curious...why the move?? I would think you would want to try it out first before moving.. Not that it isn't a great idea! I LOVE Puerto Vallarta... Would love to move there myself some day.. Was there three times this past winter and even though I'm in Thailand for 3 weeks this February I still plan a week in April to PV...it gets under your skin....

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why do people move?

Post by webmaster » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:29 pm

People move because they want something new, I move regularly (it's been a long time since the last, but I should be moving again in July, this time to good ol'Europe, because I don't want to get stuck in one place. Sold the house, will be selling almost all that I can't drag along in two suitcases per person.

One day I'll arrive in Oz too, want to get to know the land of Icehouse, Midnight Oil, the Hoodoos, Hunters & Collectors and Australian Crawl, plus I love nature and my kids do too, helps that Oz is also a great country (for the most).

Greetings

M.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Where's lippi007?

Post by webmaster » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:51 pm

Posted and disappeared... was the segundamano link of any use?

M.

lippi007
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by lippi007 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:47 am

Hey!

Sorry I've been away for work for a little while! I'll give the link a sus now and comment back!

And the reasons for the move - well theres no one particular reason. A change of scenery, a new culture, new experiences and I truly think travelling is the school of life.

Australia is an AMAZING country with a wide range of opportunities but I just feel at this stage in my life its time for a change, a different and fresh experience. It's such a shame about the working situation - It's ideal to retire in but it makes it so difficult for foreigners to move there prior to retirement.