Tipping, Tipping, Tipping

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Do you tip when travelling All-inclusive?

Yes
64%
No
6%
Haven't ever travelled All-inclusive
30%

Total votes: 107

shirvanir
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Tipping, Tipping, Tipping

Post by shirvanir » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:32 pm

So much tipping it is a little crazy...I dont know how much to tip, for instance the Bag people at Mega G, I shop there and usually it is little old men and women, that count there money right before I come up there, and dont know what to tip them.... Another instance is the people at PeMex Stations, I stopped once to get gas at one location and they had a sign for 10 Dollars as a tip, that is 50% if you are filling up, and more depending on gas.... Then I have a maid that comes in twice a week, and I dont know what to tip her, I dont know what she gets paid, or if I leave too little money, I dont know. I feel comfortable in Restaurants than everywhere else, I usually leave a 15-20% tip. It is just tipping in PV is kinda crazy, and no one mentions anything to you though, just kinda going crazy myself.....

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:00 pm

Personally, I've never tipped a gas station attendant, and nor am I likely to start.

I tip in restauarants, bars, taxi's (if they've gone above and beyond, but less if there is no meter, than if there IS a meter), hairdresser, the baggers at Mega (usually just a few pesos - like 5 or so, unless they're bringing down the groceries to the taxi...then more)...hmmm...trying to think of where else...MUST be some, but it escapes me right now.

Overall, I'm a 15-20% tipper I guess. Maid's I've tipped 3-5 dollars a visit (meaning each time they clean). Oh ya...the gas dude I tip as well...anyone that carries that canister up a couple flights of stairs deserves some extra!! (Usually just a couple bucks)

D
Last edited by winterpegman on Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:01 pm

we have been to the mega store before, and haven't tipped the people bagging my groceries... now if they were to take them to my car or taxi, then just a few pesos each... maid service, we try to tip 20 - 50 pesos a day for them... i guess you just have to dig deep down in side and decide for yourself if the service was worth a tip... and yes we feel more comfortable at the restaurants as well.. depending on service, food quality, ambiance, etc... just like we do at any restaurant in the states....

good luck dealing with this ... it is tough we all know....

marcos
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Bagging Groceries

Post by marcos » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:55 pm

I know that tipping "bag boys", as we were called 'way back when in the early '60's when I did the job for 3 days a week, 12 hours a day, is somewhat an unusual think for us gringos. But back then we'd get about $0.50 if we bagged and loaded groceries into a car.

When I'm in PV I usually shop at the Gigante and I will always try to give the baggers a tip depending upon the amount of my purchase. Lots of times I just give them most of the small change. My minimum tip (for less than $10 USD of groceries) is about 2 - 3 pesos. From $10 USD to $50 USD about 5 pesos and i'll tip about 10 pesos ifI buy over $50 USD of groceries.

spud
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Don't be a meanie, lol.

Post by spud » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:53 pm

I've been told by a few people who live in PV, that the young kids who do the bagging at the Supermarket, work solely for tips, and do not get wages.
We normally shop at Gigante, and give the kid 10 Pesos when they bag, and another 10 pesos when they push the cart out and help to load the bags in the Taxis.
It is a treat to see the smile on their faces. :D

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Tipping

Post by smitty » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:04 pm

Me and Laurie must look like good tippers because one time at Gigante one of the kids ran out and directed us to his checkout . :) I agree about seeing the smile on their faces when you give them a tip. When I see the seniors doing the bagging - I just think of my Mom or Dad being in that position . Passing on a few pesos doesn't seem all that unreasonable.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

TIPPING

Post by ronald » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:26 pm

I think we have all become accustomed to providing tips (to insure perfect service) for some service industry positions, and I for one have no problem tipping waiters, wine stewards, the hotel maids, the bell man, taxi drivers, and our local paper boy (on occasion).

When your afternoon or evening is a very pleasureable occasion because of the service that you have received, the only way you can express your gratitude is sometimes through that tip. Sometimes it's not the service you receive, rather the 'show' you get to watch put on by other idiots who do mistreat your waiters that causes me to extra tip the staff, both for the service that I received, and thanking them for not taking the stress that the other guy caused them out on me.

What I do not like is the cuthroat practices of all of these entities, (restaurants, hotels, mega marts, etc) who in order to best advertise the lowest prices, feel the best way to cut costs is by paying their service staff peanuts, or not at all, and then telling their staff to expect tips from the customers.

This practice devolves the supervisory process down to the customer and makes it his job, rather than the employers, to decide if the staff member is performing his job properly. Not only does it define the level of service, but even the quantity of staff (servers) that are available. 'Jeez Johnny, no tips (pay) today, not my fault, guess the customers didn't like your service'. So sad, and so shameful.

All above being said, I am not stingy, and do tip rather well to waiters/waitresses and maids, on a regular basis.

As for these kids on the parking lots of the big malls that will help you carry the bags to your vehicles, well I do applaud them for their ingenuity, sense of entrepeneurship, and the fact that they are at least willing to do something for that 50 cents verses the squeegee kids at stop lights, the bubble gum sales people, and those outright beggars that just tick me off. And oh yeah, those old guys that want to take the paper off the roll for you in the bathrooms and hand them to you for a tip, as if you had no hands....

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:43 pm

good one ronald... good one... it is terrible the way some people are treated and expected to "beg" for tips because they get paid so little if at all like you said... it is just plain stealing by these entities to make their bottom line look better... make the bottom line look respectible and pay your help a decent wage then... that is what makes and turns the economy... pay the worker decently, then the worker and spend his paycheck right back into your wallet, and the circle goes round and round... DUH.... :wink: :lol: 8)

JROJEFF
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by JROJEFF » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:26 pm

I forget pesos are real money and sometimes act like its monopoly money. Ive given some great tips . That is until I run out of cash and hit the atm then it became real money. :lol:

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:25 pm

Well said Ron. Those kids in the parking lots and especially the ones at Pipi's are funny. You better have a couple of pesos for those little rascals.
Everyone needs to wet their beaks.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Re: Tipping, Tipping, Tipping

Post by ellen » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:17 pm

shirvanir wrote:So much tipping it is a little crazy...I dont know how much to tip, for instance the Bag people at Mega G, I shop there and usually it is little old men and women, that count there money right before I come up there, and dont know what to tip them.... Another instance is the people at PeMex Stations, I stopped once to get gas at one location and they had a sign for 10 Dollars as a tip, that is 50% if you are filling up, and more depending on gas.... Then I have a maid that comes in twice a week, and I dont know what to tip her, I dont know what she gets paid, or if I leave too little money, I dont know. I feel comfortable in Restaurants than everywhere else, I usually leave a 15-20% tip. It is just tipping in PV is kinda crazy, and no one mentions anything to you though, just kinda going crazy myself.....
The sign at the Pemex station was for 10 pesos. The $ sign is used in Mexico, too, but it doesn't mean US$.

shirvanir
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by shirvanir » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:29 am

ellen wrote:
The sign at the Pemex station was for 10 pesos. The $ sign is used in Mexico, too, but it doesn't mean US$.
The one I saw said tip exchange was 10 USD...

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:18 pm

shirvanir wrote:
ellen wrote:
The one I saw said tip exchange was 10 USD...
Wow! Sorry for the wrong advice, then. That is unbelievable. I hope they don't get many takers.
I agree with you that tipping has gotten out of hand and the locals know exactly how to exploit it. Because of our North American tipping habits, many Mexican tourists get short-changed on service as the staff in any given place knows on which side their bread is buttered. There was an article in the local paper last year about Mexican's complaining they can't find taxis in such abundance anymore because the drivers want to pick up tourists, who tip. Tipping a cab driver was never part of the Mexican customs, as I know them. And the fact that we feel sorry for the locals and tip more has driven the prices up in the whole town and changed their economy. When I lived in Mexico several years ago restaurant tipping took the form of leaving the coins that were part of the change from your bill. No one ever expected 10 or 15% tips. We have done it to ourselves, for sure.

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by susan p » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:51 pm

The grocery boys bagging I give simply the smaller coins from my change.

The room maid I give 20-30 peso per day (one person).

Restaurants I tip ~20% on the bill.
________
Extreme Vaporizer
Last edited by susan p on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

bzy1inpv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

PEMEX

Post by bzy1inpv » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:15 pm

I have been to every PEMEX in the city- the sign you saw was NOT for tips but the US $ TIPO DE CAMBIO which translates to "How many pesos per US Dollar" it will usually say $10.00 or right now $10.50. A few weeks ago it was $11.00

When you want to know what the exchange rate is at a shop or at PEMEX you will see a sign that says Tipo de cambio. If you do not see a sign and want to know the exchange rate you ask in Spanish "Cual es el tipo de cambio?"

So again, the sign was not for TIPS but exchange rate for dollars.

Also, the baggers at the grocery stores, young or old (the older are through DIF whichis the gov't agency which helps poor people, families and children find jobs, goods, services, therapy, aid and more.

These people do not get any pay at all from where they work, simply a uniform and tips. Please give them at least a couple of pesos, it makes a HUGE difference in their lives.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tips & Tipping

Post by webmaster » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:49 pm

Tips, tips, tips... a subject that appears once and again on the forum, I'll try to track down some of the old threads:

viewtopic.php?t=7973
viewtopic.php?t=7168
viewtopic.php?t=7337
viewtopic.php?t=7282
viewtopic.php?t=4321
viewtopic.php?t=3676
viewtopic.php?t=587
viewtopic.php?t=2951
viewtopic.php?t=163

After some time in Mexico as in most places in the world, as long as you have the budget I'd recommend tipping in many circumstances. First the gas stations, I read somewhere that the employees there earn under minimum wage and are expected to make it up through tips, since then I am tipping them too. The gas guys I tip, the supermarket baggers I tip from 5 to 10 pesos depending on the amount of products I buy. Plus the normal places too, hotels, restaurants and so on.

Funny Shirvanir that you thought you had to tip 10 dollars at the gas station!! Quite a business if it were that way. That I know of there is no place in all of Mexico where they'll force you to tip any certain amount, except maybe the strip clubs :lol:

Greetings

Mogens

rosie

Post by rosie » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:55 am

check out this site:

www.tipping.org

danderso
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by danderso » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:24 am

I will tip possibly 10 percent at a restaraunt...no more..because they pay mexican wages and charge us prices..the owners are making a good if not exceptional profit and not paying their staff...go outside of pv by even 15 miles and the prices are mexican not us and the us people give credence to the large tips //it will just go on and on. why make the owners rich whwn they are not paying their staff

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Confused

Post by Jennybean » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:52 am

Ok, so explain to me how undertipping the staff punishes the owners? I think your logic is extremely flawed. The waitstaff keep their own tips, the tips aren't doled out by the owners.

The only people you're punishing are those you are purporting to help. The ones who live off their tips.

Ann
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Ann » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:56 am

I tip my maids at the hotel daily, and waiters but, don't tip the taxi drivers. Since we negotiate the price of the fare before I step in to the cab, that's the price that I pay. I've tipped other people who've helped me with various things (ie: carrying bags, etc.) but, that's about it. I'm not stingy when I tip but, I don't tip constantly.