Pre Vacation Tanning..Do you or Don't You??

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God
Pre Vacation Tanning..Do you or Don't You??

Post by Plus4 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:59 pm

Never have bothered to use tanning beds before a trip..This time decided to..
Would like to have a tan base so I do not burn as much when we get to Mexico in Nov....
Bought 100 min.
I had a choice of 4 tanning beds. The stand up one would be nice but you use 5 times the mins ..
I am a bit claustrophobic so chose the bed that had the highest dome on top..

I did fine in it but.... :shock:
I may be the only person walking around the Playa area with a white left hand... ;D
Every min. or so I popped my left hand out of the bed Imageto feel the side of the unit and give the lid a little shove just to make sure it opened.. :lol: :)

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:48 pm

We do, and I am also kinda fussy with the lid, opening it a little, then closing it again. Anyway, we haven't had to stay out of the sun due to burns yet, so I guess it works. [sun]

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

To Tan Or Not

Post by smitty » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:51 pm

Laurie likes to tan before a vacation - I'm the lazy one and get my rays once I arrive . :)

Funny about the white hand Sylvia ! :)

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:44 am

I have always pre-tanned and I don't think it's done me a bit of good except cost me $25 a month...the highest I've done at one time is 24 minutes...I burnt our first time down but not really since..so this time I'm not going to go beforehand..and see how it goes..

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:51 pm

Lorrie and I both pre-tan before going down. And then once we get there we look for the Sunbusters to help keep our base in shape and prevent us from ruining that tan and to help make us that much darker...

we find it very relaxing especially when the weather is changing to cloudy colder and either rainy or snowy... crawl into the bed and vision Vallarta... very theraputic....

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:50 pm

I pre tan but Des doesn't. I find it does help to have a base and then I don't really burn - I just get darker. Des has an allergy to the sun - on his feet and arms - so he tries to stay in the shade as much as possible. And - yes - he's the one walking around with socks and sandals!! :D Beats the ugly rash!!

Sherry

Redd
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Redd » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:58 pm

Hi,
I tan for a month before going to PV; I also burn easy and I enjoy relaxing in a bed for 20-30 minutes every other day while the snow is falling down around me in good old Michigan.
If I did not get a base tan I would be under a tree or cabana the whole time I am there and I enjoy the sun. 8)
Jane

sunlover
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by sunlover » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:03 pm

I always pretan and use the standup as I like to get it and get out. I don't generally burn but I like to have a base. Thanks to Lori and Tom's advice, I used Sunbusters last year and I am sure that I had my best tan ever! I will definitely use Ceci again.......soon.....very soon.....21 days to be exact!

I found that the stand up does a better job and it's not as claustrophobic as the beds! To me it is worth the double minutes.

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:32 am

Donna, check it out, our tickers are synchronized. 3 weeks from manana.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am

I have pre tanned in the past but chose not to last year as I still had a really great base from the summer. I work outside so I get really dark even with the #45 sunscreen that I almost always wear. I did not burn my skin, just used a bit of extra caution. I won't pretan this year either but I too enjoyed the chance to snooze for 10 minutes inside that warm and cozy cocoon.

Joyce

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:34 pm

Kay and I tan all year long, since we never know when we will pick up a hot deal to either coast. Never want to waste a minute of that wonderful sunny beach.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:16 pm

Hi Chuck I see you and Kay have a PV vacation planned for Jan..Enjoy..
We are going in Nov. to the Playa area for the first time..
Had my second tanning session... I relaxed and I enjoyed it.. While in the bed I got to thinking ..Hmm :? wonder what plus4 would think if I requested the interior of my final resting place to be designed like a tanning bed.. :lol:

and Helen :wink: did not burn my Image :lol:

criss401
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by criss401 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:50 pm

I always pretan...just helps to keep me sane while waiting for February to get here! My husband, on the other hand, tries to avoid the sun. I usually start tanning 2 or 3 months before we go, depending on how much sun I soak up during the summer!

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:52 pm

Plus4
Looking forward to get back to the west coast for a vacation. We are going to give Nuevo a try and I hope we like it. We've done all the trips and tours so our vacations now border on sloth.
My interests are a nice beach, clean and active pool, good bars and decent food. I think I will find that, this time at the Marival. I found that just 4 weeks ago at the El Dorado Seaside Suites on the RM.

We are planning on checking out Bucieras and Punta de Mita. Not sure if we will make it to el centro in PV though. Either way it will beat the hell out of mid Jan in St. Louis.

Contessa
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by Contessa » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:26 pm

Chuck,

You will love the beach in NV... we stayed at Bucerias last March and walking the beautiful long quiet beach was just what we needed. Be sure to check out Bubba while you are there...you can hop the bus and get off at the Royal Decameron highway entrance and walk down the hill, turn right and follow either the beach or the sidewalk to Bucerias. I believe their events start the first week in January 08. Here's the website

www.bottomfeedersmexico.com

It was a lot of fun when we were there.

Enjoy!

Sandra

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:37 pm

Sounds good Chuck....I agree with Sandra you will enjoy the Bucerias area... :)

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Tanning

Post by Jennybean » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:53 pm

Just a word of advice on pre-tanning to develop a base for vacation...

You should be certain that the tanning salon you have chosen has employees that are trained to answer your questions and know enough to give you good recommendations to keep you safe...sometimes they are not so ask a lot of questions - they should be basing their recommendations on a questionnaire you fill out that gives them an idea of your skin type and tanning history - and if you aren't getting one of those, look for a different tanning salon.

A properly trained employee or salon owner will tell you that tanning more often for shorter periods of time develops a better base tan that will last longer and keep you from burning, instead of longer tanning sessions and longer intervals between sessions. A 25 minute session in a tanning booth (lay down bed) is the approximate equivalent of 3 to 5 hours in the sun during mid-day. In a stand up bed, double that. That's why it's very important to choose a salon that has proper employee training. If they're allowing you to step or lay fish-belly white into a booth for 20 minutes, you are not doing yourself a whit of good, and may actually be causing your skin more damage.

I've always pre-tanned before tropical vacations and again in the spring before starting slo-pitch play for the summer, and I recommend a short daily session over a longer session - 10 minutes a day goes a much longer way. It's also easier on your skin (tanning beds will dry your skin out much faster too if you aren't careful).

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Sunscreen

Post by smitty » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:01 pm

Remember this good advice from Baz Luhrmann ! Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:51 am

Where was this guy when I was 22?

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:59 pm

Jimbo a very good post... :)

The words are wonderful the advice perfect....