If not PV where?

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God
If not PV where?

Post by palapa_gal » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:42 pm

I haven't even left for PV yet and I'm already thinking of my next vacation. :D I'm thinking I would like to go somewhere besides PV for my next trip but the question is where? So I am asking my board friends here to help me pick a location. Pretty much open to any beach destination (not interested in Hawaii and would like it to be outside of Mexico), and would like to keep the flight to no longer than 8-10 hours but for the right destination I would be willing to add a couple hours. So with my limited criteria, I would like to know where else you all have visited and would you or would you not return and why?

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Jennybean » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:38 pm

Since we're not prohibited from traveling there, how about Cuba? Haven't been (yet) myself but have several friends/family who have who say it's a really great destination for beach lovers.

I have a friend in Toronto who recently told me as well that packages to Cuba don't always have the single supplement applied, so you could choose to go solo without penalty too if you wanted.

Others on my "possibility" list:

Belize
Curacao

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Travel Ideas

Post by smitty » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:40 pm

Jamaica - beautiful but dangerous (off resort)- and a no vote- same for the Dominican Republic. Bahamas - Freeport area - we loved - physical beauty unmatched in all our travels except Tulum .
Clearwater / St Pete's Beach in Fla is my best choice next to PV .
Good post and I await the responses . :)

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Jennybean » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:45 pm

If you're not opposed to a little culture and a lot of music, try Austin, Texas. Yes, not a beach destination but such a great city. Can't wait to try it again!

My other favourite repeat US city - Chicago.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:49 pm

I second Cuba as being pretty nice.... if you are used to spanish then you'll be in luck. Fantastic beaches.... nice hardworking people.... take lots of trading things. Take advantage of it while you can.... it may lose its old world charm in the next little while if it starts to become heavily commercialized.

Other than that one of my friends has gone to Australia about 7 or 8 times, and swears it's the best place.... beaches are nice... pretty decent beer.... and he says he can figure out there English well enough to get by. Long flight though. And Thailand is a novel place as well.

Then of course there is New Orleans.... sometimes the beach is closer than they'd like.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Bjork Sightings

Post by smitty » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:57 pm

Jenny - if some think Austin or Chicago is too mainstream - how about Iceland ? No beaches but plenty of volcanic baths :) Icelandair flies out of Toronto and I see a trip in our very near future . :)

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:02 pm

You just might like Rarotonga, Cook Islands. It is about half way between Tahiti and Samoa in the South Pacific. Air Newzeald flys from LAX. A couple of websites are (www. cookislands.com) (www.cook-islands.com). If you want to read their online newspaper, it is at (www.cookislandsnews.com). Rarotonga is like Hawaii was about 50 years ago, only much smaller. The island is only 22 miles around and 7 1/2 miles across. You will be hugged by locals who you don't know, but are just warm and friendly. New Zealand English is spoken, although their language is Maori. On our first trip there, Kathy and I were in a store. I took my purchase to the cash register to pay. The lady working was in the back of the store stocking shelves. I said I was ready to pay, and she told me just to leave the money on the counter. I told her I needed change, and she said: "the register is open, can you make your own change?" These Polynesians are unbelieveable. PM me if you want more info. Chuck... 8)

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

cuba

Post by teatrolimon » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:04 pm

oh oh

cuba !

absolutely prestine beaches with some of the most beautifull people in the world

i wouldnt hesitate to go back

actually my wife and i are going there and panama this summer for a month in total

bruce

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:08 pm

My Fav beach areas I have been to are
Puerto Vallarta
Tulum
Playacar
Port Isaac and Polzeath Cornwall are my all time fav Seaside places..
There are a few Northern Sask Lakes that are wonderful
Love our Canadian Okanogan
Enjoy summers at the beach and boating at one of our Alberta lakes where by boat you can stop at private beaches for the day...

Would like to go to
Cuba and Belize... Bill's dream is to go to Israel in 2 years

Right now we are working on a Sept. trip to Germany and Holland .. Shall see what happens.. :)

Think I better get back to work... :D :)

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Oz

Post by smitty » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:15 pm

I agree about Australia but think the flight time would be a trip killer same as my idea about Iceland . :)
Laurie to me in Bondi Beach Oz - "Jim this is so nice - we should come here again " Jim - "Laurie - my bum is still sore from the 20 hr flight - what did you say ? " Laurie -... lets just say I'm still alive . :)

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:19 pm

:lol: :)

chance
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Where

Post by chance » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:20 am

Nausau Bahamas 5 hours out of TO with West Jet a couple of days there then of to the Turks and Cacos Islands another 45 minutes beaches well
they are the best that I have seen not to knock Cancun but no where close. My choice any way. No matter where you go a good time will be had

Regards 8)

PV cheesehead42
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by PV cheesehead42 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:39 am

Aruba

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:49 am

I loved Viña del Mar in Chile, just outside of Santiago, about an 8 hour flight. I didn't much like the part of the Dominican Republic we traveled to and am not interested in returning (but didn't see that much of the country). Another beach location Dave and I traveled to that we really thought was lovely was Florianopolis, Brasil, but it's about a 10 hour flight. St. Lucia is beautiful, too but I'm not an "island" person so probably wouldn't choose to go back unless we got a really good deal. It's been a long time since we were in the Bahamas so I can't really comment from personal experience but we have friends who love it there and go every chance they get.

BUFFETT 06
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by BUFFETT 06 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:34 am

i just got back a few weeks ago from st john usvi..it's a small island with some of the best beaches. cinnamon bay is by far the best place i have been in my travels. you talk about laid back....there is no place like it. google it and you tube it, you'll see what i'm talking about.

michelle/tyler
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by michelle/tyler » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:40 pm

Clearwater / St Pete's Beach in Fla is my best choice next to PV .

I second this one I was there in 96 and its beautiful.My brother and his wife just got back from a cruise and they said they would go back to aruba in a heartbeat.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:34 pm

St Lucia on the west coast near Castries.
Vigie Beach
TripAdvisor Forum

chi-mike
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by chi-mike » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:49 pm

I will be visiting 2 brothers and a sister in houston texas next week and then on to san antonio for their annual fiesta week.first time to houston but many times to san antonio. one of my favorite places.tried moving to s.a. when I was 19 but couldn't get a job.I lived 3 blocks from the alamo. lots of history,the riverwalk. great restaurants. half my family migrated to texas because they got tired of the chicago winters.the six flags theme park originated in texas. can anybody name the 6 flags that flew over texas? first prize is one week at the old molina de agua.

bvopcheryl
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by bvopcheryl » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:55 pm

We really like Antigua and St Thomas. Also St Marteen was really fun. We rally do look forward to PV every year tho. We only get to spend one week and are so jealous of you all spending 2 or more. Leaving May 3rd...can't wait!!! :P

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:13 am

We have never been here but I have heard from others that the Turks and Caicos Islands are beautiful. Personally I have always wanted to go to the Galapagos Islands.

http://www.turksandcaicostourism.com/go ... llist.html

Joyce