taking tequila home

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

rrbink
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
taking tequila home

Post by rrbink » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:27 pm

See if I do a better job with this question In the past we would pick up our take home tequila at the duty free shop at the airport and put it in our carry on what is the new way to get your tequila home

Ozark American
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Ozark American » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:52 pm

When you buy liquor at the Duty Free stores, they input your boarding pass information (airline, gate, departure) into their computer. They give you a receipt and staple a receipt to the zip-tied bag containing your liquor. They give you a number (sticker or tag) and write the number on the receipt stapled to your bag. They hand carry the bag to your gate and wait for you to clear security at the gate. You give them your number (sticker or tag) after clearing security and they give you your bag to carry on to the plane. This exchange actually happens immediately before you board the plane. Try the Agavero. It is a tequila liqueur and delicious!

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:00 pm

Keep in mind that if you have a connecting flight you will have to transfer your Duty Free purchase over to your checked baggage before you re-check your bags. A simple solution to this would be to purchase your tequila before you get to the airport and pack it in your checked luggage not to mention that you will probably find it cheaper at one of the liquor stores, Wal-Mart, or any of the grocery stores.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Tequila

Post by smitty » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:07 pm

If you are serious - check the various grocery stores for sales and prices - La Playa - liquor stores - all over town . Wrap in a t shirt or 2 - pack in middle of suitcase . :)

kagnew64
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Tequila

Post by kagnew64 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:39 pm

I realize price is important, but if I was bringing Tequila home I would do
as Ozark American said. Last trip we lost a cheap pair of binoculars on
the flight home. The wife saw the inspectors take them from the case
and then replace them. When we opened our luggage at home the
case was there, but not the binoculars.

sjl330
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by sjl330 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:58 pm

I agree, putting it in your checked bags is a risk. My daughter and her family just got back from Cancun. They packed 4 bottles of tequila in the luggage. Their luggage got lost and so did one bottle of the tequila. Plus a bottle broke. So they ended up with only 2 bottles for the price of 4. I'm pretty sure they can beat that price anywhere here at home.

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:33 pm

2 words to avoid broken bottles in checked baggage

BUBBLE WRAP

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:59 am

I pack a small backpack to carry whatever :) when we are out and about for the day ... On the way down I put shampoo and lotions in it..
On our return trip I pack the backpack in the middle of my suitcase and put breakables in it.. The backpack would help prevent a mess in the suitcase if something spilled or broke...

rrbink you did good with this question :) ...welcome to the forum...

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:10 pm

just like many have stated, bubble wrap and go to Super La Playa to check out their prices... but remember the kicker here is this... Leaving Vallarta with it in your carry on is fine, Clearing customs in the states it is fine, but if you are going onto another flight back home, then you have to put it into your checked luggage before boarding that next flight. We saw many people in DFW scramble back to ticket counters because they couldn't carry on their booze (greater than 4 oz)... something to seriuos think about...

enjoy....

chi-mike
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by chi-mike » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:50 pm

i pack a large tupperware container in suitcase. I put clothes in it on the way down and my tequila in it coming home. wrap the bottles in a tee shirt and it's pretty safe. usually bring home 3 bottles each trip.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Bottle Wise

Post by smitty » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:31 am

Here is the failsafe option .A container designed to protect packed booze .

http://www.bottlewise.com/