Time share sharks out of the airport.

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle
Time share sharks out of the airport.

Post by davilin » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:41 pm

A piece of info Im sure everyone will like. Starting next year the Mexican Govmnt is going to ban T.S hawks from the airports, and after that, from the downtown storefronts. This is from the Mayan Palace sales person. If it works out that way, P.V. should be a much more peaceful place to vacation, doncha think?

helenf
PV Guru
PV Guru

Yahoo

Post by helenf » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:09 am

Fantastic news. Now lets just see if it's really true and they go ahead with it.

Hope you're having a good time davlin!

Helen

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

TS

Post by Jennybean » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:35 pm

Considering it's a billion dollar industry in Mexico, until I actually see the booth and the sharks gone, I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

Would be nice, but I'm not going to get too excited until I actually see it happen. :wink:

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Re: Time share sharks out of the airport.

Post by Plus4 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:12 pm

davilin wrote:A piece of info Im sure everyone will like. Starting next year the Mexican Govmnt is going to ban T.S hawks from the airports, and after that, from the downtown storefronts. This is from the Mayan Palace sales person. If it works out that way, P.V. should be a much more peaceful place to vacation, doncha think?

I think :)
Yipppeee Image

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:27 pm

Maybe they'll be on by February when we get there. We almost got caught up with them as well and I've been to Mexico before!

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:31 pm

Thanks Davelin... that is good news... but will totally believe when i see it....

three more sleeps three more sleeps

DELETED

: o (

Post by DELETED » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:38 pm

DELETED

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

I'm From Missouri

Post by smitty » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:35 pm

Don't believe it for a second . Image From the mouth of a liar ( Mayan TS ) comes more lies . :(

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:44 am

Out of the airport AND off the streets, never gonna happen.

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:42 pm

a welcoming registration at arrival thru airport???????????

how low can they get

a readers post from local mag tribune
I love Vallarta; I love its quirks and its idiosyncrasies. I understand it, all the way down to timeshares, but what I DON’T understand is why more and more friends that are arriving at the airport this season are sharing accounts of lies and miss-truths as they run through the «Welcoming» gauntlet after customs.
We had friends who arrived last week and were staying at a hotel in the Marina. As they got through customs and went through the «Vallarta Information» hallway, they were told that «you HAVE to check in here or you will loose your reservation at your hotel» – WHAT? We are also hearing accounts that these «Vallarta Welcome Wagons» are claiming to be with Immigration to get arriving tourist’s Passports! This is ridiculous! Waiting for a friend this past Friday, we witnessed countless arriving tourists shaking their heads, being followed and harassed while arguing with the «Vallarta Welcomers» as they passed through the glass doors. One woman in particular we overheard saying, «that was the worst welcome I have ever received in any city!» We personally witnessed one «Welcomer» outright tell an arriving family that they had to register there… They stood their bewildered as what to do next – a mother, father with two kids. When the mother looked over at me for help, I said, you do not need to stop here if you don’t want to… the «Welcomer» heard me and said «shut up!»
Again, I understand timeshares. They are a great alternative for some people. We have friends here in Vallarta that make their living working for them, and we know many people that enjoy theirs, but I have to ask… What is the first impression that tourists are receiving as they come through this gauntlet? Is it not monitored?
Pat H.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:30 pm

I do not blame travelers for being upset with the way they are greeted when arriving at the PV Airport.. (Not just PV ..I am prepared for a rude greeting next week at the Cancun Airport)
Many people will over look the nasty greeting but there will be many that will not make a return visit.

When travelers arrive at the Calgary Airport there are greeters ready to make them feel Welcome..Dressed in red vests and white cowboy hats they stand out...

Maybe it is time that the PV airport changes its welcome committee of rude harassers and liers..

How about a welcome something like this..
:D

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Timeshare Troubles

Post by smitty » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:31 pm

We've experienced both the Cancun and PV Airport sharks . In Cancun they had a very official looking kiosk right after you went through immigration . I knew it was timeshare after they started asking us what tours we wanted to take and told Laurie to ignore them - the shark heard me and started yelling at us demanding to see our travel documents . He gave us a very loud condescending lecture on how it was his country we were visiting and we should show respect. The booth looked very official and would fool even the most experienced traveler . Sad to hear we will subjected to similar tactics in PV . :(

markcarla
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by markcarla » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:49 pm

Last year was my first time back to PV in 7 years. I couldn't belive the growth, but walking into the changes in the airport and being harrassed by these people after spending a day travelling is really the last thing most people want to deal with. Respect the country?..that i do...respect the fact that i'm spending, along with millions of others, my tourist dollars in Mexico. This year i plan to not know the english language or spanish as i pass through "welcome wagon". Other than that, i love PV and plan on coming back many many times.

pvmike
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by pvmike » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:49 pm

YEAH! -they are a nuisance. I am sure there is a better way for them to hawk their wares - I am bothered that they are now appearing at Gigante and other markets posing as employees - no me gusto!

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:19 am

I do like them...timeshare at Gigante and other markets..
THEY know the store..Let them be your legs... :lol:

mamba72001
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mamba72001 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:53 pm

Wow....I have heard of them but didn't realize they are that bad.

Can anyone run me through the procedure at the airport.
I am travelling on my own with my kids and don't want to get sucked into this......I would imagine feeling quite confused of this were to happen to me. Someone yelling at me or asking to see my documents may intimidate me, especially having never been to Mexico before.

I am travelling from Vancouver and I am assuming we pick up our baggage before we proceed to customs.
Where are the timeshare people located?

I have been told about this by my travel agent and friends who went this past March. I know I am to look for my tour operator.......and am assuming again that I need to go through this gauntlet in order to reach them?

Any tips are appreciated!

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:36 pm

Mamba, once you get through customs head straight for the exit. Any one who offers you a free ride or wants to know where you are staying is trying to lure you to a t.s. presentation. Don't answer to any one until you get ouside to the taxis. There is now a booth just inside the door where they will take prepayment for a taxi. We used that service and it worked out, but there was some confusion about whether we had already paid or not, so I'm not really sure that's worth it. Anyway, we talked to several other people in P.V. who had also heard about the airport being closed to t.s. people, so maybe it's true. Time will tell.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:33 am

I don't know if the set up is the same it was last year because of the renovations but here is how it was in Jan. Like he said, once you get through customs you head for the exit and turn left into a short hallway. The time share people were in that hallway, on the right side behind ropes. Is this where the counter now is? Anyway ignore them and head through the second set of doors. Beyond these doors are where your tour operators stand holding up signs with the name of your tour company on it. Go to the one who is holding up the sign of your tour company. You will give him your name and he will instruct you on which bus # you should get on. Go outside to the correct bus, and they will take you to the correct hotel.
If you want to make it even easier for yourself get yourself a porter to gather up your luggage and he will get you past the time share people no problem. I think a 50 peso tip to the porter would be well worth it.
Hope this helps. When are you going, for how long and where will you be staying?

Joyce

mamba72001
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mamba72001 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:36 am

Thank you for replying. The more I know the better I feel.
Safer somehow and less likely to be taken advantage of by the TS sharks.
I really appreciate all the info.

12 more sleeps until I leave. We're staying at the Rui Jalisco.
I started packing today!
Can't wait!!

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:54 am

As Joyce said, get a porter, well worth the few $$$ tip. The porters blast right through that area, so all you have to do is follow your porter and you will have no problems at all.