tipping?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

leahbeans
tipping?

Post by leahbeans » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:30 am

Heading out to PV for first time quite soon - staying at GCP & was wondering what the usual amount to tip for say hotel maids/cabs/restaurants etc?

stew
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Tipping

Post by stew » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:06 am

Well I will get a argument from some but I never tip cabbies UNLESS they preform a special service like load & unload packages, luggage Etc. or if we do a day tour with one & they are extra knowledgeable & helpful, always buying their lunch no matter what.
Hotel Maids I normally tip 30 pesos a day per person. If alone I'll give her a extra 100 or so at the end of each week depending on how good they are. One thing I learned a million & a half years ago was that if you ask for something special on arrival such as a extra pillow, then giving then a nice tip it will assure good service for the stay. Cafés it depends, if it is a bargain (mostly where this old pensioner eats) I tip 25 to 30 % due to the low prices, In high end places I tip 15-20 just like in the states. Anyways thats me.

leahbeans

tipping

Post by leahbeans » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:18 am

thanks for the info stew! much appreciated :)

tojol57

Welcome to GCP

Post by tojol57 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:25 pm

Welcome to our home away from home, the Golden Crown Paradise... we usually try to tip the maid two - three USD a day, and we leave it on the bed for them to pick up. if we have special requests we will see Ricardo down at the front desk or in Rose Mary's office by the exercise room. As for the bartenders and waiters when we are out by the pool or beach, it just depends on the service. Use your own judgement, don't go over board or don't be a miser too. You are on vacation, and they are there to assist you and serve you. Learn their names fast as well, and they will be more attentive to you as well. A tip for you, when you get ready to head out for the day, take your towels from your room, and throw them down outside your room door. this will let the staff know you are out of the room for the day as they go around picking things up. the maids show up around 8 am, and start out on their floors around 9 am by the time they get their carts and supplies lined up for the day. this has always worked well for us. you have to also remember that Saturdays is a HUGE turn around day. so they resort will be busting some humps to get rooms cleaned and set up too...

Enjoy your time at the Golden Crown... the staff is just wonderful...

jovin
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by jovin » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:27 am

Being from Vegas, We tip EVERYONE. It's just in our nature. Being A Cancun regular, you get to understand the small amount of money that these workers make. An extra dollar here or there really doesn't affect me all that much, but it sure can make their day. This will be my first to PV in December so I am not sure of the economy there, but I bet it is very similar to the Cancun area. I always make it a habit to bring along a bunch of $1 bills with the sole intention of using all of them for tips. Obviously you afford what you can, but I believe a few bucks for each service over my week is a small price to offer someone who makes a very small wage. In most places the GOOD wage is less than $8 a day.

welovepv
PV Master
PV Master

Post by welovepv » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:41 pm

:) If you get good service then tip accordingly, as you would at home. As for the maids...we always leave 30-40 pesos on the bed. Many times you'll see added special touches like habiscus flowers, fans or flowers folded from toilet tissue, or a towel rolled into a swan, maybe even chocolates your pillows! It's a very nice gesture that is appreciated. I like to leave everyone a tip, however, my husband has second thoughts with the taxi drivers as well. Always find out "how much" before getting in. We asked many times and many times the amounts were different to and from the same location. We paid accordingly, but the drivers that quoted the lowest prices got the tip! I agree with Stew, if they help with luggage or purchases then by all means tip them! Keep small peso coins for those precious little ones that help with your door or are selling the little turtles with the bobble heads!!!!

peddler

wages

Post by peddler » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:28 am

jovin wrote:Being from Vegas, We tip EVERYONE. It's just in our nature. Being A Cancun regular, you get to understand the small amount of money that these workers make. In most places the GOOD wage is less than $8 a day.

It's my understandingthat 5.95 per day is the average wage for a maid in the tourist areas of Mexico. Can't buy a lot of tortillas on that let alone pay the rent!

tojol57

Re: wages

Post by tojol57 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:55 pm

peddler wrote:
jovin wrote:Being from Vegas, We tip EVERYONE. It's just in our nature. Being A Cancun regular, you get to understand the small amount of money that these workers make. In most places the GOOD wage is less than $8 a day.

It's my understandingthat 5.95 per day is the average wage for a maid in the tourist areas of Mexico. Can't buy a lot of tortillas on that let alone pay the rent!
That is one of the reasons you families and families living together. everybody works even the little ones when and where they can. amazingly enough you can get a kilo of tortillas for little to nothing. and some of the house holds have things set up where they make their own as needed. Yes most of these people make like 8 - 10 USD a day. that is why some have side jobs at night working two jobs, bartending or waiters at another bar or resturant in town etc. these people work very hard for what they have, and will also give you the shirt off their back if you were down on your luck while on vacation. they have hearts of gold and that is one of the many reasons we keep coming back year after year.

love hugs and kisses from iowa

billybob
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by billybob » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:28 pm

When we took our first trip to PV we stayed at an AI and we didn't tip. We didn't know about this message board to become educated. We didn't know how much the people made a day or cared, we were on vacation at an All Inclusive and tips were included. Now that I find out how little they are paid compared to how much they charge for a week and its sad. We stopped at Wallmart and saw lots of locals shopping in there. The prices were not that much cheaper than the states, I don't know how they do it on 6 or 7 bucks a day. We will be better travelers in the future.

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:47 pm

I even tip my hairdresser here at home (and away). We believe in tipping for any kind of personal service.

Where I DO draw the line however is in a "meterless" taxicab. Since the rate is being negotiated in the first place, I wouldn't understand why I would feel obligated to pay more...UNLESS the cabbie went over and above. "Over and Above" is not opening the door, or handling my suitcase(s) that is part of the job (imho). He/She has already seen my luggage when the rate is agreed upon.

What IS "over and above" to me is doing whatever to make my trip unique, and/or pleasant.

I liken tipping a cabbie "extra" on top of the stated rate, akin to offering the Sears store more money than the price on the sticker. this is the price they want, and I say to them "No, no....I'll give you MORE than what you're asking"...not going to happen.

It sounds harsher in written form than I mean it by the way, but I'm sure the point gets across nonetheless.

I don't follow this viewpoint with cabs that have meters. They get tipped.
Last edited by winterpegman on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tojol57

Tipping Taxis

Post by tojol57 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:54 pm

I agree, we don't tip taxi drivers with a negotiated rate. When i do tip a taxi driver is when i screw up and leave a bag in there from the super la playa and he returns it to me. I tip him if i negotiated a day trip with him and he went up and beyond my expectations on showing us around town, or to special resturants, or on a special tour that we cooked up on our own... but we also may buy his breakfast or lunch depending on when we left or how long we are out... but when it is $40 pesos from resort to malecon, that is it, $40 pesos...

but that is also why you see taxi drivers doing Indy 500 speeds and lane changes. the more they turn the more they make. and if they can get you downtown, pick up one downtown and take wherever then get back to their normal "stand" spot so they can get their next fare.

have a great day and wonderful vacation.

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:27 pm

My bad, I tip most of the taxi drivers because I strike up conversations with them, practicar español. I ask about where stores are located, what's happening in vallarta, about themselves ect. The tip itself, usually on a trip from the GCP to el centro is only 5 pesos, cause the fare used to be $35mp and it was rare I had the correct change, and of course the driver NEVER has any change :lol:

byrdfromwisconsin

tipping

Post by byrdfromwisconsin » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:56 am

We are from Wisconsin and we stayed at the holiday inn by the airport. great place and service. we loved it so much we are going to be there Dec. 4th to 18th (2 weeks) we have found that tipping go's a long ways. However we also fill two duffle bags with childrens clothes and then we use the bags to bring back gifts for friends. When we get to our hotel we ussually give these clothes to staff members as well as tip. As was said erlier most staff members only make $8.00 to $10.00 a day and thats considered high pay. minimum wage is $5.00 a day for mexico. a childs uniform is $20.00 for school. so just think it takes almost 1 weeks pay for 1 childs clothes for school. we spend 1 whole days wage for 1 cocktail at the airport. Go find a rummage sale or get some childrens clothes and bring them with you. If you feel uncomfotable giving them to the staff leave them at the churches they will always be used stuffed anamals are always great also. I have always felt this is the best tip of all we also tip with cash besides the clothes.

If anybody else is staying at the holiday Inn send us a hello we can always do cocktails,

Tom and Alex
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Tom and Alex » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:02 am

:wink: Bless you and I am sure the people of PV that you give things to really appareciate them. Sharing your things is the same as sharing your love for others and the extra pennies sure will go a long way in helping these people. It is a shame that some tourists that go to PV spend so much for the trip and personal fun and hesitate to part with a few more pesos for a tip. The best to you and have a great holiday season.

JoplinMO Guy

Great Advice

Post by JoplinMO Guy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:56 am

Tom and Alex wrote::wink: Bless you and I am sure the people of PV that you give things to really appareciate them. Sharing your things is the same as sharing your love for others and the extra pennies sure will go a long way in helping these people. It is a shame that some tourists that go to PV spend so much for the trip and personal fun and hesitate to part with a few more pesos for a tip. The best to you and have a great holiday season.
I appreciate all this advice so much, as we will be staying at the Villa Premier on an AI plan. I would not have thought of tipping without your advice. We are leaving on Dec. 17, and now I wish we would stay the winter. As I write this, it's 10 degrees outside. I can't wait!

janisc
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by janisc » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:15 am

we really enjoy tipping and we get great service, plus you feel good you know?