Tipping advice

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

2travel
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Tipping advice

Post by 2travel » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:48 pm

It will be my first time to PV, and after reading what you all have written, I have definitely decided to tip! These people like mentioned work for an almost non existent wage. While, it is not our problem directly I think it would be wonderful to reciprocate their wonderful service by doing a wonderful thing for them. A little bit of money could possible go a long way. While I plan on tipping (any suggestions how many pesos?) I am also planning on bringing some clothes and stuffed animals for the children at RISE. Does anyone have an idea of how many stuffed animals to bring?

Rachel

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by susan p » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:56 pm

How many peso to tip - for what service are you asking about?

Waiters I tip similar to home on a percentage of the bill, taxi drivers I just round up the fare a bit, the maids who clean my room I leave 10-20 peso per day per person.
________
Loan Protection Insurance Advice
Last edited by susan p on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Tipping

Post by Jennybean » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:02 pm

In restaurants I tip the same as at home, usually 20 percent or more.

I don't tip taxis unless they do something above and beyond like carry luggage or go out of their way to do something for you...my local friends recommend not tipping the taxis because they up the zone rates figuring they can get more that way. It's happened before.

Do not forget about your maids! Leave 20-25 pesos per person under your pillow for her. If you're messy leave a bit more, and on your last day leave them a larger tip as a thank you if you received great service throughout your stay. Same applies to your waiters and bar staff.

Bar staff leave tips as you feel are appropriate for service...if I'm not running a tab I leave 10-15 pesos every couple of drinks. Running a tab I follow the restaurant standard.

Those in the service industry really rely on us tipping to supplement their low wages. Considering the high level of service you usually see in PV, I'd say parting with some pesos is well worth it. I know I've always gotten great service and a smile. :)

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:58 pm

If you make a purchase at a market, the kids bagging are there after school are not paid, they are working for tips only, so give them a couple of pesos.

I usually tip more than that, as I have them carry most of our stuff out to the taxi.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Tipping

Post by Jennybean » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:39 pm

teduardo wrote:If you make a purchase at a market, the kids bagging are there after school are not paid, they are working for tips only, so give them a couple of pesos.

I usually tip more than that, as I have them carry most of our stuff out to the taxi.
Thanks for catching what's falling out my ears Ted. I always forget to mention this...I remember to tip, just forget to tell people to do it! LOL

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:28 pm

one of the main things about tipping is to what is "comfortable" to you. do like you would when you are at home, good service, good food, etc. you reward, then decrease if it is not up to your expectations etc. Jennybean my dear friend hit it right for the services are your resort as well. not too many people think about tipping the maid or some of these people on a daily basis... we usually do, and what little thing we do special is when we leave the room, we take our towels and wash clothes out the door with us, and put them just outside to let them know we are out of the room, and boy that works most days to get our room done right away. and at the end of the trip we try to show our appreciation to those people that really stood out during our stay, special waiters, bartenders, etc. it is just a joy to do this for us.

respect 8) Tom aka Mr. Crown

parrot
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Ok...so what about

Post by parrot » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:58 pm

all inclusive packages that state that all gratuities are included?

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:52 pm

parrot...ignore the "tips are included" at the AI's claim...the only assurance you have that someone who gives you great service is fairly compensated is if you put the pesos directly in their hand...besides, makes it more personal, they know first hand that you appreciate them...sonofdob.

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

maids

Post by susan p » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:15 pm

I never stayed at an all-inclusive but I would certainly still tip my room maid! As above, something each day on the bed (since different people may clean on different days) and a larger tip at the end of your stay or for any special favors you ask.
________
Lamborghini Cala
Last edited by susan p on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:27 pm

This is a funny topic for me. We just got back from Canto Del Sol. I tipped the waiter around the pool $4-5 USD daily. Then the room maid, I started with $2 USD the first day. Then I added $1 every day just to see what she would leave us. The first day it was flowers by the sink, then our bedspread was made into a bow, then she left us a towel shaped into a heart and the last day was two swans getting married! Awesome! I will post a link to the pictures today sometime.

Take care.

Tracy

joboblaw
PV Fan
PV Fan

Tipping

Post by joboblaw » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:11 am

Tipping is very important at AI's too. These people make about $100- for 2 weeks work, they live on these tips. So please rememebr the maid, the bartender, the waiter, etc. We just returned yesterday and already miss it!!

Zorro420
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Zorro420 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:36 pm

Yeah I normally tip bartenders, maids and such right when I get there. That way I get good service all week. I don't understand the suckers that tip at the end of the week. It seems like a waste to me.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Tipping

Post by Jennybean » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:56 am

Zorro420 wrote:Yeah I normally tip bartenders, maids and such right when I get there. That way I get good service all week. I don't understand the suckers that tip at the end of the week. It seems like a waste to me.
Why is it a waste to thank your service staff for a great week of service? I respectfully disagree that it is...and I'll tell ya, I get fantastic service in PV, everywhere from the 5 star places to the budget haciendas, and on top of tipping as I go, I tip at the end of my stay.

When your average wage is $5US a day, you live on your tips. Period. Anything you give them to show your appreciation for a job well done is happily accepted with a heartfelt thank you.

pwraudio1
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by pwraudio1 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:14 am

At the clubs I tip like at home, If we have a kick a$$ night, with good drinks I will kick them $20-40usd on top of the bill....(the drinks will be even better the next night and most want get put on your tab) Maids get $2-5usd... Restaurants get 15-20%... I will not tip a Taxi Driver unless he get the bags in and out, other than that he has his tip in the cost of the ride...

my .02

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:23 pm

Jenny,

I think Zorro was just saying that if you don't tip throughout the week, you may not get good service as the maid doesn't know she will get a tip at the end of the week for good service.

take care.

tracy

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by susan p » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:09 pm

it is not why i tip but i noticed that daily tipping the maid got me more towels in the bathroom than my non-topping friend had in hers!
________
Ios games
Last edited by susan p on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

welovepv
PV Master
PV Master

Post by welovepv » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:18 am

susan p wrote:it is not why i tip but i noticed that daily tipping the maid got me more towels in the bathroom than my non-topping friend had in hers!
We live like slobs while on vacation and tipping the maid DOES go a long way. Flowers, lots of fresh towels, chocolates on the pillows, she even folded the dirty clothes and put the shoes and sandals in the closet. Not many people would touch the dirty clothes of strangers! The fresh smell every afternoon when we cam back to the room. We leave about $3-4 US because we know we are bad about messes. I believe it to be true that those who tip WILL get better service than those that do not!

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:04 pm

I tip and tip well because I appreciate the service, not in order to get better service. Although the two go hand in hand.

welovepv
PV Master
PV Master

Post by welovepv » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:00 am

chuck wrote:I tip and tip well because I appreciate the service, not in order to get better service. Although the two go hand in hand.
:oops: OOPS!!! I, too, appreciate the service very much!! Thanks!!