Weather in PV

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

nmamach
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Weather in PV

Post by nmamach » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:19 pm

Ok, I am going to PV tomorrow! I am very excited until I heard about Hurricane John heading that way. Should I still go? Does it rain a lot during rainy season? I am all sorts of confused, so please can anyone help me out with what it will be like for the next week?

Thanks

AZtoPV
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

ditto!

Post by AZtoPV » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:42 pm

I too am in the same boat...We leave on Saturday the 2nd for a short trip (5 days) and I fear we will be holed up in our room the entire time. Grant it, I would rather be holed up in my room in PV rather than at home but I fear my tan will be greatly effected!! I suppose that as long as we have power (so the blender work!) all will not be lost. If the power goes, though, watch out...this will be one ticked off gringo!! :evil:

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:51 pm

:) Pack candles..water and toilet tissue :)
I know the gym in Pitillal is used as a shelter ....The churches are too.
Where are other shelters in Puerto Vallarta and where would the best place be to hang out if..the storm should hit.

nmamach
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by nmamach » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:25 pm

Hmmmm......not sure if you are joking or being honest. Now I am really confused! I can handle rain, I just don't want to be holed up in a gym waiting for the hurricane to clear!

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:54 pm

i think Sylvia is just pointing out the worse case scenario if the weather was to shift. But if you look at the two threads that lead to the NWS predictions, you will see that John is to be on top of Cabo by friday and heading back out to sea on saturday.... just google the "national weather service" and you will find the national hurricane center as well that same way, and you can get alll the latest up to date information .... you will be fine....

hurricaneshecky
PV Fan
PV Fan

Weather

Post by hurricaneshecky » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:56 pm

I was there two days after Kenna and the weather was great. This doesn't look to be another Kenna.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:01 pm

AZtoPV
I suppose that as long as we have power (so the blender work!) all will not be lost. If the power goes, though, watch out...this will be one ticked off gringo!!
I was smiling at the above words and suggesting to AZ to pack candles in case the power goes out.

You know... I like everyone else hopes Hurricane John will head back to Sea or do what ever hurricanes do when they peter out. :) But...
if heavy winds rain and BIG waves should come to PV I would want to be prepared.
I too would not want to spend time holed up in a Gym or anywhere waiting out a storm but if it comes to that then yes I was serious about packing bottled water toilet tissue snacks :) meds if one needs them and of course important papers in a back pack just in case.
Easy to unpack your emergency bag if not needed.. :)

I am curious as to what local folks are hearing about this storm and what precausions are being taken..

Yes Tom thanks ..I was just pointing out worst case scenario... :)
and Shecky I agree the weather was absolutely beautiful even a few hours after Kenna.
I remember sitting outside on a step at the church in Pitillal and the sun was shining and it was Hot and calm.

nmamach
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by nmamach » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:27 pm

Thanks for the reassuring. I really want to go since I have never been to Mexico before and I have heard such great things. Its just that I do not want to stay in the hotel for 5 days waiting for the rain and wind to stop. Thanks again!

nmamach
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by nmamach » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:18 pm

OK, not be to crazy or anything but I just read this on CNN:

In Puerto Vallarta, skies were clear and tourists relaxed on the beach Wednesday morning as local officials met to prepare for the coming storm.

Anyone in PV that knows more, please respond!

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

CNN

Post by Jennybean » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:49 pm

Ok, firstly - remember that CNN wants to pull in viewers/readers, so they use sensational tag lines. They are not exactly famous for accuracy when it comes to reporting on hurricanes on the west coast - as an example, they erroneously reported ad nauseum for weeks after Kenna that the city of PV was absolutely destroyed, when the damage was really sustained within a small area...and the locals were out cleaning within an hour of the storm swells. The far south end of the bay is on hurricane watch, but that's a really REALLY long way from the city.

Secondly, PV has natural defenses against direct hits of hurricanes. Namely, the Sierra Madre mountains on the south end of the bay, and the fact the city is nestled back in the centre of the bay. Remember, this is the second largest natural bay in North America, we're not talking some puny inlet here. It takes two hours to reach open ocean in a high powered boat from the marina!

NOAA radar tracking indicates if PV gets anything from this, it will be rain, some wind, and maybe some waves higher than usual. You won't have to "hole up" unless there is a dramatic shift in direction in the next 24 hours. I suspect it will lose a lot of its "oomph" when it hits the mountains.

Frankly, I'd be a heck of a lot more concerned for my safety if I were heading to Cabo anytime in the next few days...I would definitely cancel if I were going there, as it looks to sustain a direct hit.

And for those leaving within the next couple of days, PLEASE BOOKMARK THIS WEBSITE:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic ... shtml?5day

nmamach
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by nmamach » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:02 pm

Thanks JB, I am sure you are right. I will go and enjoy! I just needed someone to kind of slap me in the face and not be so scared!

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Update

Post by Jennybean » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:13 pm

Someone on the TripAdvisor forums just spoke to their parents about an hour ago - they're staying at the Canto del Sol right now.

Their report: Sunny and hot at the moment. There is some information about the hurricane and the hotel is on alert for any changes in direction or orders from officials, but this storm is over 600 miles from PV right now and looks to only glance off the end of the bay sometime tomorrow. Flights aren't even being cancelled...there might be delays, but no cancellations are being reported.

Locals are predicting an upsurge in wind for a few hours, probably rain, but no more than that and everything should be back to normal by Friday morning.

nmamach
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by nmamach » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:44 pm

thanks for the update JB. I just called the hotel and they said it will be a bit windy and rainy Friday and Saturday, I think I can deal with that. I just don't want to be blown away!

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:31 am

Hopefully the storm Hurricane John will weaken and pass PV and area ..probably will ... but I am very happy to see precausions are being taken ...
Quote from report below...........
Flights into and out of Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillos
international airports may be suspended at any time.

I guess for those planning to fly into PV in the next days need to keep in touch with their travel rep or Air carrier.
I was wondering if similar advice like the one below has been issued to Canadians traveling in Mexico ...
Consulate of the United States of America
Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
WARDEN MESSAGE
August 30, 2006

This Warden Message is being issued to inform U.S. citizens that, as of
11:30 a.m. local time on August 30, the Government of Mexico (GoM) is
advising that Tropical Storm John has intensified to a Category 4
Hurricane (Dangerous & Severe) and this intensity may increase over the next
24 hours. Current conditions of this weather system indicate that
Hurricane John will continue to increase in strength within Category 4.

U.S. citizens in the projected path of the storm are urged to locate
shelter, monitor media reports, and follow all official instructions.
Precautions should be taken now to protect life and property. Visitors
should be familiar with their hotel or cruise ship evacuation plans.
Flights into and out of Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillos
international airports may be suspended at any time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All U.S. citizens currently in the affected areas
should secure their travel documents, (i.e. U.S. Passport, Birth
Certificate, picture IDs, etc.) by placing them in a safe waterproof
location and if possible carry them at all times.

The Government of Mexico has issued a Hurricane Warning in
Guadalajara´´s Consular District along the west coast of Mexico to Cabo
Corrientes, Jalisco and The Islas Marias. Hurricane conditions are expected
within the warning area within the next 24 hours. A tropical storm watch
remains in effect from Cabo Corrientes to El Roblito. Tropical storm
conditions are expected in the watch area within the next 36 hours.

The Mexican Communications & Transportation Agency has alerted all
maritime transportation on the west coast of Mexico north to Nayarit and
Sinaloa States about possible effects from the hurricane such as heavy to
intense rain, electrical storms, hurricane force winds, high wave
tides, and the possibility of minor flooding in lower coastal areas.
Conditions may extend into the Jalisco Coast as this weather system travels
west-northwest.

According to the latest projection, the storm is likely to skim coastal
areas of the Mexican States of Jalisco, Colima, Nayarit and Sinaloa.
For the latest trajectory of the hurricane and updates, please visit The
National Hurricane Center´s website http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.
Citizens living in areas that may be affected may also contact their local
Proteccion Civil office for updated information about the storm and
preparedness measures to take.

The U.S. Consulate in Guadalajara will be open for business during
regular business hours on August 30 and 31 and September 1. The Consulate
will be closed for the weekend on September 2 and 3, and on Monday,
September 4 due to Labor Day. However, Consular personnel are available
at any time for emergency American citizen services, although our
ability to provide assistance outside of Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta may
be limited by weather and travel conditions. FOR EMERGENCIES ONLY,
please contact the duty officer in Guadalajara at (52) 333-268-2145 and in
Puerto Vallarta (52) 322-223-3301. If unable to reach any of these
emergency contact numbers due to inoperable telephone service, please
contact the duty officer at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City at (52) (55)
5080-2000.

Americans living or traveling in Mexico are encouraged to register with
the nearest U.S. Consulate through the Department of State's travel
registration website at https://travelregistration.state.gov. Additional
information on travel in Mexico may be obtained from the Department of
State by calling 1-888-407-4747 within the United States or (202)
501-4444 from overseas, by consulting the Consular Information Sheet for
Mexico available via the Internet at www.travel.state.gov or by contacting
the U.S. Consulate in Guadalajara at (52) 333-268-2100 or the U.S.
Embassy in Mexico City at (52) (55) 5080-2000 during regular business
hours.

kwschopf
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by kwschopf » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:05 am

We live in Vallarta, 75 yards from Los Muertos Beach, and I can report that today was a beautiful hot and sunny day with a spectacular sunset - the clouds began to gather in the late afternoon, but they usually do this time of year. Tonight is calm and quiet, very pleasant. John is scheduled to pass by PV about 1 pm tomorrow, with the center being perhaps within 50-60 miles of us. Most people I have talked with expect heavy rain and maybe some wind, although PV is well-protected by the bay and mountains. The usual Wednesday cruise ship did not come in today, however, and I am hearing rumors about the airport being closed. If you have a flight tomorrow, be sure to check on cancellations and/or postponements. We will let you know more tomorrow. Karen

nmamach
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by nmamach » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:35 am

Yes it seems that the hurricane is gaining momentum. My flight is early in the am tomorrow and now I am concerned that I will get into Mexico City and not be able to get into PV. Please keep updating if anyone knows more info.
Thanks!

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Hurricane

Post by Jennybean » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:07 am

Just prepare yourself in case there is a delay. If there is, so be it...better to be delayed than cancelled.

If you go into it knowing it's a possibility and you're prepared, you'll feel better about it.

**LoLa**
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by **LoLa** » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:21 am

Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in PV right now? :?

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:45 pm

(08-31) 04:25 PDT PUERTO VALLARTA, Mexico (AP) --

Hurricane John pummeled Mexico's resort-studded Pacific Coast with winds and rain Thursday, plotting a course that could take its eye close to land before nicking the tip of Baja California.

Authorities in Puerto Vallarta, among Mexico's most-visited resorts, scrambled to prepare emergency shelters while sending patrols to hunt for possible storm damage Wednesday night. But tourists and residents stayed calm even as the powerful hurricane rumbled closer.

John grew into a Category 4 storm Wednesday but later weakened back to a Category 3. Still, it had maximum sustained winds of 125 mph and stronger gusts capable of ripping off roofs.

The storm was expected to strengthen Thursday, and Mexico issued hurricane warnings for about 400 miles of coast from the port of Lazaro Cardenas to the fishing and shipping community of San Blas, an area encompassing the bay where Puerto Vallarta is located.

While the center of John was forecast to remain just offshore, hurricane-force winds were expected to begin raking beaches near Puerto Vallarta by Thursday, the hurricane center said.

Forecasters said John wasn't likely to affect the United States — cooler Pacific waters tend to diminish the storms before they reach California. Instead, it was expected to skirt close to Mexico's Pacific Coast and head for the Baja California Peninsula by Friday.

Parts of the southern Baja Peninsula, including the resort city of Cabo San Lucas, were also under a hurricane warning.

At 5 a.m. EDT, the hurricane was located 70 miles southwest of port city of Manzanillo, moving northwest at 14 mph.

The National Hurricane Center in Miami said the storm could drop up to 18 inches of rain in some places and create up to a 5-foot storm surge on the coast. The center warned of "life-threatening flash floods and mudslides" in mountain areas.

William Rousseau, vacationing with his family from Oregon, said Puerto Vallarta hotel officials warned about the storm, "but we're calm because they say it's not going to hit this city."

"We're continuing to enjoy the city," he said Wednesday. "They just asked us not to go into the ocean or on any bay tours."

Officials postponed the arrival of a Carnival cruise ship, prohibited customary tours of the bay and announced public schools would be closed Thursday. Puerto Vallarta Mayor Gustavo Gonzales said 50 shelters had been readied, and emergency crews prepared to patrol throughout the night.

Some coastal communities in Jalisco state, where Puerto Vallarta is located, were being evacuated because of their proximity to two dams, state authorities said.

The sense of urgency was higher in Cabo San Lucas, where fishermen and authorities were hurriedly preparing for John's arrival. The city's port captain, Everardo Jimenez, said he had instructed the operators of a tourist boat to come back to dock.

"We are preparing shelters for the evacuation of civilians, if that becomes necessary," said Luis Armando Diaz, mayor of Los Cabos, on Baja's southern tip. "According to the information we have, the storm is coming right toward Los Cabos."

Back on the mainland, tropical storm-force winds and light but endless rain were reported in the resort cities of Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo, as well as Lazaro Cardenas, Mexico's deepest port.

Forecasters predicted up to 10 inches of rain on the coast and "torrential downpours" in the Jalisco state capital of Guadalajara, government news agency Notimex said.

Johann&Sandra
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Johann&Sandra » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:03 pm

Still calm, no rain at this hour. Should hit between 10:00AM and 12:00PM.

The size of the hurricane has shrunk now, though the eye is still carrying 125mph winds, and Puerto Vallarta is now expected NOT to get hurricane force winds. There is only a 3% chance now. They're expecting sustained winds of between 40 and 50 mph.