Puerto Vallarta On a Budget

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Puerto Vallarta On a Budget

Post by Plus4 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:33 pm

The other day we were asked...
Can one tour Puerto Vallarta on a Budget..
Low Budget.. :)
What would your suggestions be .. Food ..things to do ... places to stay

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:00 pm

I am sure you can. I keep saying every time I go this time it is going to be a budget trip but somehow it never seems to work out that way. :lol:

Food - Keep away from places like Trio, La Palapa, etc. and go to places like Pancho's Takos, Cafe Roma, Machis BBQ, Cafe Bohemio, Tacos from street vendors. There are a lot of low budget meals available without having to compromise on the quality.

Places to Stay - Posada de Roger, El Pescador, etc. Look for places that are on the South Side and away from the beach. Also check out what is availabe here http://www.puertovallarta.net/accommoda ... ?option=BH

Things to Do - Get on a city bus and see where it goes. Hope a bus heading north to the smaller towns. Take a water taxi to Yelapa.

These are just a few suggestions from the top of my head. I'm sure that others will pitch in with more.

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:22 pm

Came up with a few more restaurants.
La Tia Catrina, Mariscos Polo, Joe Jack's Fish Shack, La Piazzetta

Some more budget Hotels
Hotel Belmar, Hotel Villa del Mar, Hotel Posada Don Miguel, Hoel Hortencia, Posada Lily, Posada Iris, Vallarta Sun Suites

As you can see I've done some research on budget travel but just never follow through with it. :roll: :D

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Budget PV

Post by smitty » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:08 pm

Shop at the grocery stores for your meals and snacks . The grocery stores in PV are excellent - selection , quality and prices - comparable to those at home . Instead of name brands buy the local equivalent - big savings . Check out the bakery dept for tasty treats - often the grocery stores will have alcohol (wine , beer , spirits) cheaper then you can find elsewhere .

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by oneistwo » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:35 pm

Here's some tips, in line with my own priorities of course.

Before I even get to my top 10, get pesos, preferably from a bank or an ATM. Merchants will usually (though not always) round the conversions from dollars in their favor, aside from naming their own rate. Pesos keep it simple and fair, and over the course of your stay it saves you a few bucks a day.

In addition to what's already suggested, my #1 budget tip is don't go souvenir shopping just because a bunch of people told you to bring something back. If you give in, you'll be shocked by how fast it adds up. And you'll waste a lot of time that would have been better spent doing something else, even if that means doing nothing. If you have to shop, buy one or two nice things at a real place, like Lucy's on Basilio Badillo.

#2 (footnote to the mention of liquor stores). Don't waste money on Cuervo Gold. If you're making margaritas, get some cheap blanco. That's what the bars use anyway, and it's better than the phony crap they put in the Cuervo. I do suggest as a tasty alternative to triple sec a liqueur called Controy (no not Cointreau), though not all stores carry it. (Recipes elsewhere on this board)

#3 Find out where the happy hours are, preferably within crawling distance. "One is two."

#4 This may be irrelevant to most of you, and heresy to some, but while Cuban cigars are available, they cost $15-$25 each. I bring bundled Nicaraguans, $3 a piece, and 80% as good.

#5 Breakfast (not the "free" one) is the best meal bargain. Our favorite is Los Alcatraces, opposite the Mega in the Hotel Zone. Or you can make your own huevos mexicanos to give your budget an even bigger break. Really good fresh salsa is available in the stores.

#6 Budget gourmet lunch dining: Los Caprichos (tapas), on Miramar, up Iturdibe; Planenta Vegeteriano on Iturdibe; the gazpacho at La Bodeguita del Medio, across from the Malecon at Allende (then stick around for the happy hour mojitos (one is two)).

#7 Budget dinner: Pollo con papas from one of the SuperPollo stands or their competitors. Make sure you get the potatoes with the chicken. It will keep inn the fridge and you can tear some off and nuke it. To "splurge," do indeed go to Mariscos Polo.

#8 Budget entertainment: Invite people over. See #2 and #7. Lay in some chips and fresh salsa and my personal beer recommendations are Pacifico and Bohemia (NO on the Corona; nobody who tastes anything else will go back to it)

#9 Walk everywhere. This not only saves money but it gives you something to do that's truly free. I've heard it's good for you but I do it anyway. Take the bus back to your place if you're tired. Cabs add up fast.

#10 Learn to relax under a palm tree by the pool.

Thanks for the opportunity to put my vacation plan in writing. Only 18 more days!!! :-)

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:36 pm

Thanks Lori and Jimbo for sharing you ideas and oneistwo thanks for sharing your vacation with us.....
Looks like you will have a very good one... Looks like you need a ticker or a countdown..
and.... :)
Quote...

#8 Budget entertainment: Invite people over. See #2 and #7. Lay in some chips and fresh salsa and my personal beer recommendations are Pacifico and Bohemia (NO on the Corona; nobody who tastes anything else will go back to it)
a crunchy party eh!! :lol: :)

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:52 am

From the market at the bottom of the stairs go across the swinging bridge to the other market building. Go upstairs and have lunch in one of the restaurants up there. I ate at 2 different ones, Marina and the one just past it, I can't remember the name right now. Extremely economical and super friendly family run restaurants.

Joyce

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:57 pm

As oneistwo said, the roasted chicken places are great for budgets and many have Wednesday specials of 45 pesos for the works. I also completely agree with the idea of walking and taking buses (as I said in another post, $1.50 for a bus to Bucerias or $18.00. Hmmmm). Speaking from the standpoint of having been here several months, transportation costs can reeeaaalllly add up. For budget dinners the cenadurias are good choices. They, as indicated in the name, are only open for dinner and are mainly pretty cheap. For entertainment there are several great movie theatres and the prices are the equivalent of about $4.00 US. I don´t always practice these kinds of things and I lament the amount of money I have spent these last 5 months but, oh how I have enjoyed myself! We have been to so many nice restaurants and had so many great times and probably have a couple of extra pounds around the middle to show for it, but it can be done.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:08 pm

Ellen the stairs kept my weight exactly where it was from when I left. I was over the moon about that!

Joyce

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by oneistwo » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:17 pm

In line with the cenadurias for dinner is "comida corrida" (Yes, lit. running food) at the fondas. They only have one or two items on the menu each day, but they are the standard fare for local business people. We had "ropa vieja" (Yes, lit. old clothes) at one on Francia. I thought it was pretty good, but a bit rustic for my tablemate. There are also some excellent hole-in-the-wall places, and I will write them down when I'm there...

...when I'm there.... !DOCE DIAS!

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:59 pm

oneistwo wrote:In line with the cenadurias for dinner is "comida corrida" (Yes, lit. running food) at the fondas. They only have one or two items on the menu each day, but they are the standard fare for local business people. We had "ropa vieja" (Yes, lit. old clothes) at one on Francia. I thought it was pretty good, but a bit rustic for my tablemate. There are also some excellent hole-in-the-wall places, and I will write them down when I'm there...

...when I'm there.... !DOCE DIAS!
I agree. I forgot to mention the corrida comidas but we eat at them all the time. Our favourite meal is the milanesa de pollo, which we also often get at Wal-Mart, believe it or not.

lanhawk
PV Fan
PV Fan

Roated Chicken

Post by lanhawk » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:22 pm

The roasted chicken places are the bomb! Especially with the patatoes! But you got to get there early, wait too long and they're sold out. What ever is left from dinner you can make chicken salad with for lunch. By far though the street vendors are the cheapest way to go. Check some of the PV boards, I remember somebody had visited all the taco stands and gave them a rating. :lol:

michelle/tyler
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by michelle/tyler » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:12 pm

If you want hop on a bus for 4.00 and head up to punta mita for the day its an hour bus ride beautifull beach great drinks and food it cost my parents and aunt 25.00 for the whole day.

same thing with mismaloya not as long as a bus ride but cost for the day around the same. You get to see different areas.